It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:33

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Mar 2022, 19:35 • #1 
Guide
Going to clean up and repair for a buddy. It’s 50” sections, so 8 and 1/3 feet? It has a spigot ferrule but it goes into a hole UNDER the tip over ferrule. It’s very strange. Perhaps someone added the ferrule later as an attempt to repair.

The grip is some kind of foamy stuff (not cork). It looks like it had a label at one point but it’s just glue marks there now. See pics.

Rod is definitely glass. can anyone help with id?

Post 14 Mar 2022, 19:49 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
the old medalist is fun......

Post 14 Mar 2022, 19:56 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Does that look like a Berkley over-sleave to anyone else?

It's an inexpensive 1970's era rod. There's no value in the rod other than as a fishing instrument, so clean it and repair it anyway you want. There's no value to preserve.

Give it a good test cast. It may be a nice blank with cheap hardware. It's most-likely a 7wt or heavier.

Post 14 Mar 2022, 20:05 • #4 
Master Guide
It looks Berkley to me, does the butt plug have a B on it?

Post 14 Mar 2022, 23:42 • #5 
Administrator
Maybe a late 80s Browning rod? Does it matter? Whatever it is, you may wish to test cast it before deciding how to rebuild it.

I've seen rattan grips built on top of those ugly foam grips. Search the forum for details.

Tom

Post 15 Mar 2022, 07:26 • #6 
Guide
Thanks all! I did notice after arknymph made his comment above that there is a "made in korea" sticker still under the butt cap. Someone mentioned to me it could be a Daiwa?

Tom to your point it doesn't really matter. Just wondering what you all thought. Thanks!

Post 15 Mar 2022, 08:33 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
In other words, it has a sleeve reinforcement over the female end of the blank, a la Berkley. I seem to recall they had they also used that design in some of their Korean-made rods. But, the sticker could also be just for the source of the reel seat. Assuming the guides aren't rough so as to damage a fly line, I'd cast it. Some of those--same for Browning or Daiwa if that's it--were excellent blanks, just fitted with cheap hardware to sell at a price point in a discount house or hardware store sporting goods counter. It might rebuild into a darn nice rod.

Post 15 Mar 2022, 13:41 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I think the Daiwa rods that I saw from that era were butt over tip, but that is an old memory and based on a very few rods.

New Topic Add Reply