It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:38

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Mar 2022, 13:09 • #1 
Sport
Hi all,

I've been buying and lawn casting a number of glass rods over the past year and now I feel like it is time to select the ones to keep. I have a fair amount of overlap, so I'm toying with thinning it out from that perspective, but also from the perspective of keeping the "finest" rods.

Here's how I fish...

-Every August I'm hitting tiny mountain blue lines with lots of cover and tight quarters chasing tiny Rio Grande cutthroat.
-Every July I'm hitting southern Colorado. Small stream to medium rivers...dry fly and dry dropper.
-Living in TX, going after LMB from a kayak on private lakes/ponds.
-Winter time throwing small streamers or indicator nymphing for trout in southern Oklahoma.

Here's what I have...

2wt: Graywolf Ben's of Holland 6'6"
3wt: Scott F Series 6'6"
3wt: Orvis SFG 7'
3wt: Orvis SFG 7'6"
3/4wt: TFO Finesse Glass 7'
4wt: Orvis SFG 7'6"
4/5 wt: Barclay GP 7'9"
4/5 wt: Graywolf Steffen 8' 2 piece
6wt: Orvis SFG 8'6"
6/7wt: Graywolf Steffen 8'6"

I don't dislike any of these rods, but I will say I've never really found the sweet spot for my casting stroke with the 4wt SFG 7'6". All others have been paired with lines and the "survivors" will be hitting the water with me this spring/summer.

So, if you had to thin this herd which ones are redundant and/or which ones would you absolutely NOT sell given my fishing needs? I'm ultimately thinking of letting go of about 2-3 rods from this group .

Post 14 Mar 2022, 13:30 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
For the small stream and medium sized river fishing as you have described, I would keep the Graywolf 2wt, the Scott and Orvis 3wts and the Barclay GP 4/5. I do a lot of similar small stream fishing and find the shorter 2/3 wts handle it very well. I have at least five that fit that category. I also have the Barclay 82 4/5 and love it for medium sized waters. I have no experience fishing for LMB or from a kayak. My guess would be to keep the Steffen for that although I have the Orvis SFG and really like it.

Post 14 Mar 2022, 17:13 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I would keep the Steffen's, Scott and Barclay. I haven't cast a "Ben's" but the Orvis and TFO are servicable rods, but I would be on the lookout for a better 7' to 7'6" packable 4wt. I wouldn't get rid of any of them before finding a replacement, but there are some supurb rods in that category.

Post 14 Mar 2022, 18:32 • #4 
Sport
"I would keep the Steffen's, Scott and Barclay. I haven't cast a "Ben's" but the Orvis and TFO are servicable rods, but I would be on the lookout for a better 7' to 7'6" packable 4wt. I wouldn't get rid of any of them before finding a replacement, but there are some supurb rods in that category."

...well, I was thinking the Barclay would likely be more of my 4wt dry fly/dry dropper rod and the Steffen 4/5 is definitely more of a 5wt. That said, the closest thing I have to a "packable" 4wt is the 3 piece TFO Finesse Glass 7'. Also the Orvis 3wt SFG 7'6" casts best with a 4wt line.

Post 14 Mar 2022, 20:22 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Wait what, thin what? You’re not keeping them all?
Looks as if you are just getting started :lol

Post 14 Mar 2022, 23:54 • #6 
Administrator
Only 10 glass rods??? That doesn't even fill a small closet!

I wouldn't use any of those rods for kayak bass fishing. Maybe an old Garcia Conolon 7'10" rod or a scruffy Fenwick. If you capsize and the Garcia goes to the bottom, you won't cry.

Tom

Post 15 Mar 2022, 15:13 • #7 
Guide
I too was wondering why you would want to get rid of any of them. May want to look at getting a four piece Epic 476-4 as a pack rod. They are planning a big price increase later this month, may be better off looking at used.

Post 14 Apr 2022, 14:34 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
If that were my quiver, I'd keep the Steffen's and sell the rest....maaaaybe keep one of the SFG 3wts if I routinely fished really small streams (although the 4/5 Steffen would work just fine for that).

But then again, I'm as bad as (or worse) with my heavier weight glass collection.

Post 14 Apr 2022, 16:27 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with Tom about the kayak fishing. And I don't like longer rods in a kayak. For LMB fishing you could really use a 7 or 8 wt if you intend to cast large streamers, deer hair frogs or poppers - otherwise at least a 6wt.. I'd look for a vintage 7'6" - 7'10" rod to add to your quiver.

Post 14 Apr 2022, 20:12 • #10 
Guide
I would add a couple of Livingstons to that mix , along with a couple more Steffens , and maybe a McFarland (or two) , also add an extra Barclay , to round off at two , should keep you set while waiting for a couple of Larry Kenney’s to become available ? Then you can start with all the classic vintage stuff !!! Just a small picture of where this forum is most likely going to take you ………

Post 14 Apr 2022, 21:56 • #11 
Master Guide
I have to agree with the enablers who have already responded - I would add a McFarland GTX in 7 or 8wt for your LMB fishing (we’re talking about goddang Texas bass here), and I would add a longer 5wt like the ********* 895.

However, I understand some significant others (mine included) often enforce a “one in - one out” policy. If I had to pick two from your collection to sell, it would be the TFO 3/4 and the Orvis SFG 6wt.

Post 15 Apr 2022, 13:37 • #12 
Guide
jgestar wrote:
If you capsize and the Garcia goes to the bottom, you won't cry.

Tom

You can make or buy a couple of these - they actually work:

https://www.yakgear.com/product/yakgear-rod-floats/

Post 15 Apr 2022, 23:27 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I've never played with a 2-weight, but that's also because I can't see a situation where I'd want to be limited by the flies a 2-weight line can cast well. There are so many great 3-weights that it seems wholly unnecessary to go lower than that, even for very small fish. I'd start there. Beyond that, the 3-weight situation probably comes down to which streams you fish most often. There is some potential thinning to be done there—maybe start with the TFO, and see what else doesn't make the starting line-up?

The new Orvis SFGs are mostly in 4-pieces, and if the action is similar, you could swap one or two out for the previous generation. But that doesn't help you thin the herd.

The Barclay GP is a highly regarded rod, and I think it overlaps too much with the Steffen 4/5 and the Orvis SFG 4-weight. I'd get rid of both of those, if it were me. What I see you lacking for S. Colorado is a longer rod. I would balance the Barclay GP with a 5-weight that is 8.5' or longer. There are several great options there, and most of the difference come down to personal taste.

How similar are the Orvis SFG 6-weight and the Steffen 6/7? It seems like there is a lot of overlap there too. My understanding is that the SFG will handle 7-weight lines very nicely too. Perhaps keep only the one you like the most.

Post 21 May 2022, 16:35 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I would echo Carlz. Scott, Steffen and Barclay.

Honestly I would probably favor 8' steffen over Barclay due to 8' length. You are covered by the 6'6 scott and 8'6" steffen for different length.

The 7'9" Barclay is pretty close?to 8' steffen and would probably favor 8', plus the 8' 4/5 Steffen is somewhat of a cult classic for good reason as a search will attest.

A 7wt is just a nice bass rod but I certainly hulled in plenty of largemouth in the Dallas area when I had my Steffen 4/5. Kinda regret letting that one go but my 8'6 Fisher keeps me satisfied.

I had lots of fun with a 6'6" F3 Scott as well that handled many fish magnificently.

Post 22 May 2022, 13:12 • #15 
Guide
I understand the allure of collecting glass rods, and you certainly have fine rods (though I'm going on reputation as I haven't cast all of those). But I'll take an approach of saying you only need 4 of those.

Like GlacierRambler above, agree you don't need a 2wt. Get rid of it.

Keep the 6'6" scott 3wt for your august blue line fishing. Get rid of all the other 3 weights. Redundant and probably too long for lots of cover.

Keep the 4/5 Barclay GP 7'9" and the 4/5 Steffens 8' for your July trout fishing with dries and dry droppers. Though you could probably get rid of the 7'9" GP and just stick with the 8' Steffens

Finally, keep the 8''6" 6/7 Steffens. Have a reel with multiple spools. 6wt for your winter streamer fishing, and 7wt for your LMB.

That's it. Those are the essential rods for what you need. 4 at most. 3 if you really want to cut it down. Again, that's taking the minimalist approach. And I'm not saying I practice what I preach, but that's my take based on what you described.

Post 08 Jun 2022, 04:45 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Keep them all. Maybe set them aside and come back to them every once in a while.

Been there, done that, is a misleading saying. More accurately, you never step into the same river twice. Fly fishing is by its nature a contemplative, introspective undertaking for most of us. A good old rod is like a mirror through which we can sometimes see our former selves and compare it to our present. That's a magic wand right there for you!

Over time tastes, strength, rivers fished, flies cast, and moods change - repeatedly. Old rods are a physical key to those memories.

Post 08 Jun 2022, 06:24 • #17 
Guide
That's well said, giogio

Post 08 Jun 2022, 14:08 • #18 
Master Guide
X2 what Giogio said! It may not ring true for all of us or all fly rods but some fly rods have that magic connection. I never thought about the connection being to a former self, but that makes sense to me. I feel that way about one of my guitars. It’s not the best, most expensive etc… but it knows me and reminds me when I need it most.

Post 08 Jun 2022, 15:50 • #19 
Master Guide
giogio wrote:
Keep them all. Maybe set them aside and come back to them every once in a while.

Been there, done that, is a misleading saying. More accurately, you never step into the same river twice. Fly fishing is by its nature a contemplative, introspective undertaking for most of us. A good old rod is like a mirror through which we can sometimes see our former selves and compare it to our present. That's a magic wand right there for you!

Over time tastes, strength, rivers fished, flies cast, and moods change - repeatedly. Old rods are a physical key to those memories.

I owe you a debt of gratitude and this post has brought tears to my eyes. When my wife sees another cardboard package that can only be one thing … I am going to defend myself by quoting the above to her ….

New Topic Add Reply