It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:10

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Mar 2022, 17:59 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I found this rod in the closet and need some opinions about condition. The rod appears very clean with only a few small blemishes on the finish.

While going over the rod I found a tiny split on the male ferrule. The section feels solid. I've sold all my other Eagles and have nothing to compare it to. Trying to figure if normal filling in the ferrule or if some previous owner put some epoxy in there. The ferrule will be compressed when rod put together and I can't see this creating any problems. Would appreciate the opinions of those who know way more about this stuff than I do.

If I ever find an issue with a rod I like to push it hard and see how everything works. I put 10 WF floating line on and was shooting out to about 90'. Probably picking 45' of line up to start the backcast. Rod seems solid, but have others had this type issue and ever had any further problems?

Thanks,
Barry

Post 14 Mar 2022, 13:29 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like somebody has added something inside blank to help support that.

I would run some superglue on the outside of the crack and then wipe it all off. And mark with a sharpie where crack ends. Then fish the heck out of it.

Post 14 Mar 2022, 14:50 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Sorry but i think that crack will spread if fighting some good size fish which you have a lot of in Florida,Might cast fine but that is an unusual crack.I have a couple phillipsons with that type of ferrule and the male end looks like something was glued in there to reinforce it .Maybe it was stepped on?

Post 14 Mar 2022, 17:36 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks guys, appreciate your thoughts..

Post 15 Mar 2022, 08:37 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
GnG, I know that is a pretty opaque finish, but have you tried taking the rod into a dark room and shining a very bright light from behind it to "candle" it and see if that solid fill (or section of 'glass) extends just past the length of the split? I think Magic is right on, and it has been repaired with internal support. Unless the finish is too opaque, you will know for sure by being able to see the internal reinforcement in that way.

I wouldn't bother, but a little more elaborate if need be is to remove the butt cap and drop a long straight rod into the butt, measuring the depth where it stops, and thereby measuring the depth the fill/stent sits in the blank. Come to think of it, I probably would bother if I couldn't "candle" it and the butt cap came off easily.

Remember that the split is restrained from widening by the sleeve when the rod is assembled, and from collapsing by any fill. So it's probably good to go.

Post 15 Mar 2022, 09:04 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I did not mean to harsh GnG.It is I have run across a few pretty old wonderods that had the balsa cores and were cosmetically very nice.Almost like new at a glance but we're full of cracks on close inspection.They were stored outside in this climate.Even in garage we can go from 100 degrees plus to 30 below.I did find homes for those rods as wall hangers.I never buy anything I don't intend to use or sell or trade as a usable item.I once read that wonderods saw themselves apart.The author was an idiot.He obviously had a balsa core rod that swelled and contracted several times over the years.That rod probably will fish just fine or would great as a display piece.That is a rod for some serious big fish fishing.in

Post 16 Mar 2022, 15:32 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
No problem, I appreciate all opinions. I've had bunch of Eagles over the years and sold my last one, other than this, several months. I just can't remember what filling is in the end of the male section. I think this is something stabilize the crack, but not sure. If it is epoxy and at the right depth I think the rod should be fine, but just my guess.

Tried whrlpool's suggestion and can't see through the blank.

It feels solid, but would like to know if others have tried this type repair.

New Topic Add Reply