It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:34

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Feb 2022, 13:38 • #1 
Guide
I have two Fenwick "Voyageur" travel rods, FF74-4 and FF856-5, and both are about a tip top length shorter than two piece rods of the same length when fully assembled. The sections of the respective travel rods are all equal in length when stacked next to each other, so it's not a case of damaged rods.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited by BrianN on 25 Feb 2022, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

Post 25 Feb 2022, 15:33 • #2 
Master Guide
Yes, definitely noticed this. I have an FF70–4 that is less than 7’ when assembled but all factory A-OK. The ferrules may snug down over time.

Post 25 Feb 2022, 17:59 • #3 
Guide
Lunker, thank you for the confirmation.

Quote:
The ferrules may snug down over time.

Possibly, however, I've measured 2-piece vintage Fenwicks and they seem spot on in length. Granted, we're talking one joint versus 3 or 4, but you would expect to see some difference if the ferrule snugged down over time. It may be just a quirk with the travel rods

Post 25 Feb 2022, 20:06 • #4 
Guide
A couple months ago I had about a half dozen of my 7 foot rods (Fenwick, Garcia Conlon, Shakespeare) out playing around with reel balance and decided to measure them after perceiving that some seemed longer than others. I had ranges from 6'11" to almost 7' 1". Made me laugh, wondering how that came to be as none of them appear to have had a broken tip, etc.

Maybe they were all manufactured on a Friday afternoon when minds drift to other pursuits?

Post 25 Feb 2022, 21:44 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Blank dimensions are nominal. Add (or subtract) variations in the number of ferrules and their fit and then variations in the way the grip and reel seat are mounted, and even blanks of exactly the same length may differ in length after finishing and when assembled.

Post 25 Feb 2022, 22:59 • #6 
Master Guide
Ive always known my FF70-4 was shorter than 7', but havent ever put much thought into it. I havent noticed any of the others being shorter than nominal, then again I fish the FF70-4 5 days for every one day with something else.

Post 27 Feb 2022, 14:57 • #7 
Master Guide
Some settling of contents may occur...

Post 29 Jul 2022, 19:52 • #8 
Guide
I know this is an older post but I just happen to have both of those rods with me on a family vacation to the White Mountains in NH. Will find a tape measure in the morning and get back to you. A quick check and my FS-74-4 Voyager with the wire no fouls guides and SF-74-4 Classic glass with the single foot ceramic guides are exactly the same length as my Shimano 7’ bait caster.
And my FF756-4 Classic Glass looks 6 “ longer. It has 1 ceramic ring stripper and snake eyes. So either they are all under size including the Shimano or the Fenwick's might vary due to production runs. I would think the later models would have tighter tolerances due to advances in manufacturing. Will let you know in the morning. I have nothing to compare the Ff856-5 to. Other rods are 9’.

New Topic Add Reply