It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:22

New Topic Add Reply
Dave Lewis
Post 15 Feb 2022, 16:14 • #1 
Sport
Following four years or so of very limited activity I feel the need to tidy up some bits and bobs. One of the areas to sort out is my fishing gear, my wife has no interest in rods and reels or the value of these items.

I've chatted with a few local guys and tackle shops and can find a lack of interest or knowledge of Dave Lewis. Dave had small business with his wife building glass rods, hardly any reached us here in Scotland which I guess explains the lack of appreciation of these wands.

I know that Dave lost his battles with his health,(great loss) is there continued interest in his rods with you guys across the pond?

I've missed this forum but I've missed fishing even more.
A pal called me today offering to take me out on his wee boat up on Loch Tay, a few more weeks until the warmer weather, I'm getting goosebumps already.

Tight lines
Gee

Re: Dave Lewis
Post 15 Feb 2022, 19:11 • #2 
Administrator
Dave Lewis built beautiful fly rods. In general he built on commercially available blanks, but the ones he picked to work on made up into great rods. His epoxy work was gorgeous, until he developed an allergy to epoxy resins. Then he moved to spar varnish finishes, which if anything were even prettier.

His wife maintains his website with photos of his work over the years. You can find it at http://www.davelewisflyrods.com/ Before he passed, Dave was a forum member. You can find his old posts under the username davelrods.

A forum search on Dave Lewis should also return additional information.

Tom

Post 15 Feb 2022, 19:48 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Last Sunday I was teaching fly casting and a fellow came with his 8wt that he is going to take to Belize, and wanted some help on his double haul. The joy was that the rod was a Dave Lewis built on a St Croix blank. It was stunning. Not ornate, just perfect attention to detail The owner didn't know anything about Dave Lewis, he bought the rod to fish and is enjoying it. It just made me smile. It is the way things should be.

Post 15 Feb 2022, 22:29 • #4 
Guide
Yo Tay - Dave and his lovely wife attended local fly shows and were wonderful to see. I always checked out his rods and bought a few, all of which I use. He also took and framed beautiful photos, and those are on the walls of my tying room. He spent his summers in Yellowstone but I never got my act together to meet up with him there. I do miss them.

tl
les

Post 22 Feb 2022, 22:08 • #5 
Guide
I have one of those, purchased for a trip that never took place.

Dave built several rods for me. Fabulous workmanship.

Post 02 Mar 2022, 12:54 • #6 
Master Guide
Dave was a great rod builder, such a great loss.

Post 08 Apr 2022, 08:00 • #7 
Master Guide
All of the above, Dave was/is a gift for all of us... His photo essays on his site display his deep appreciation and wonder with nature and the waters that we all walk...

New Topic Add Reply