It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 12:49

New Topic Add Reply
Lamiglass S Glass 8190
Post 13 Feb 2022, 14:22 • #1 
Master Guide
All original Lami S Glass 8190, 9', 8w, 4 5/8 oz, factory build. Its is in very nice condition. All guides and wraps look good (no corrosion or dryness), cork had a little soiling so I took a little 320 to it, very few small scratches on the blank, sock appears to be from an 8.5' spinning of same era?, original tube minus the label. Seems like you see quite a few of these built on blanks but no that many factory builds, especially in this condition. Maybe not the most popular configuration for glass, but seems perfect for PNW Steelhead to me.

Local CL find. Guy said he bought it new in late '70s. Said he caught a number of Steelhead on it in Oregon waters. Turns out he recently retired and guiding in his retirement. Said its been sitting in his closet for several decades. I will be targeting those fish on this rod. He even told me about some certain holes, certain rivers, how to rig up, timing, etc...So got an education and some classic glass, all for not much. Just thought I'd share.

Backyard casting with a WF8 is really smooth, plenty of distance. It has a soft tip and is a slow rod...really fun to cast...just let the rod do the work. Has a 1/4" ferrule gap. Would not go together anymore than that.

Did some research. Sorry for the long post but thought I would paste some old quotes/comments from previous posts.

Tom wrote:
S-Glass: As near as I can tell, Lami made nine S-glass fly rod blanks between 1978 and the late 90s. The lineup was all two piece blanks with spigot ferrules. The medium and slow action rods were listed in the 1978 catalog. The fast action blanks with the dual line ratings were developed later. S = slow; M = medium; F = fast. There were a few factory S-glass rods too (the rod numbers are included in parentheses).
SFL 84 4M, 7 foot 4/5 weight. Some like this one with a 4 weight, some like it with a 5 weight.
SFL 90 5S (factory rod model 8175) a rather nice 7'6" 5 weight. This is a smooth casting rod. If anyone finds a batch of these blanks, buy them all. Don't quibble about the price. Remember who told you, so please let me share in the find.
SFL 90 5/6F Beartooth had a couple of these last I knew. This is a 5 weight for someone who only fishes fast graphite. It is a 6 weight for the rest of us.
SFL 96 6S (factory rod model 8180) I think Beartooth has a couple of these still, but they do not have any markings and are sold as a 5 weight. This rod blank is almost as good as the 90-5S. It can probably work with either a DT5 or a WF6.
SFL 96 6/7F, Beartooth still has 5 of these in stock. I haven't handled one.
SFL 102 7S (factory rod model 8185) I haven't handled one.
SFL 102 7/8F, I haven't handled one.
SFL 108 8S (factory rod model 8190) Really relaxed for an 8 weight - very slow.
SFL 108 8/9F, a 9 foot pillar of power. Way more zip than the 108-8S. I have a really ugly amateur build with a long cork grip. It will throw an entire line. Into a breeze. Uphill.

rewynd wrote:
The stripper guide is one of the early generation ceramic insert guides. I remember when Fuji introduced these guides in the early '70s (with "moon-glow pale green" and white rings in black and chrome) in competition to the tradition tungsten carbide stripper guides. There 'advanced' materials and 'modern' look became popular (latest, greatest, high tech marketing). I built a number of rods with them (and probably still have a few if I dug through my rod components).
Andrew.
(Note: The relatively smaller size of the stripper guide compared to what you would see today.)

Sandman

Post 13 Feb 2022, 15:32 • #2 
Guide
Wonderful acquisition, congrats!

Post 13 Feb 2022, 20:47 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I had a Lami Sglass in a factory built 8.5 ft 8wt. Was a cannon. Have fun!

Post 13 Feb 2022, 22:13 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for showing ! Remember "almost" buying a Lami S-glass blank soon after they came out in the late 1970s, but not much more of the technical detail. A sharp detail mentioned about the "moon-glow" ceramic guide, a catalog description I remember a little better because I put a set of those on an SA graphite blank about that time. They did "glow," but I never liked them and eventually removed and replaced them with conventional snake guides. The braced stripping guides were just fine and will be on that Lami. Gotta report back when you put some fishing days on it. Great to have it come with stories to add to.

Post 15 Feb 2022, 14:16 • #5 
Master Guide
Thanks all. The rod weighed 4.02 oz on my scale, so a bit less than the 4 5/8 oz listed.

The 'moon glow' ceramic guides are just that...though I'm not sure why they would need to glow. Guess it was just fun marketing stuff...and it seems they even tried to wrap the tipping to match the green glow...very similar color anyway.

I'll report back when I get it wet...in the meantime, I'll try it with some different lines in the backyard (once it stops raining). Curious how it throws a WF6.

Sandman

Post 15 Feb 2022, 20:00 • #6 
Sport
Very nice rod. I have a 966S from the same line i built up from a NOS blank. One of my all time favorite rods. You'll love it.

Post 18 Feb 2022, 19:54 • #7 
Master Guide
I mentioned that it came with a spinning sock, so I reached back out to the guy to ask if by chance he had the original sock somewhere in his closet. He got back to me with the first pic, so I sent him a prepaid ship label and it fits like a glove. No label, but it seems to be of the same era and style, so I'm assuming its the original. Then, with no label on the tube or sock it makes me wonder if they weren't labeled in early production, or at all. IDK. Thought maybe someone would know.

Sandman

Post 12 Mar 2022, 09:19 • #8 
Master Guide
Very nice rod and interesting comments, thanks for sharing. I am kit very familiar with Lamiglas.

Post 12 Mar 2022, 16:16 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I have a similar rod. With it's fighting butt it measures just a bit over 9'3". Both guides on the butt section have greenish/white inserts.

The green tipping on the wraps is only on the guide wraps on the butt, so had me wondering if it was a replacement tip. But, appears your rod doesn't have tipping on tip section either.

Rod has fairly fine tip and I always liked it for nymphs and small streamers.

Also, I'll show all the writing on the rod and hopefully someone can tell me if a factory or homebuilt rod.

Thanks,
Barry

Post 13 Mar 2022, 13:44 • #10 
Master Guide
Hey Barry, cant say for sure, but since all the components and wraps mimic my factory build I would say it's a factory build. Maybe your fighting butt was added later and not sure why it doesn't have the same writing as mine...maybe yours is an early production rod before they refined the writing.

Sandman

Post 13 Mar 2022, 15:01 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Sandman,

Thanks...

Glad you reminded me about this rod. Haven't cast it in years and forgot how nice it is. I'm sure it could handle heavier lines, but I found an old Wulff TT 6/7 works great on it.

Also surprised me that a 9'3" glass rod with a fighting butt only weighs 4.5 ozs on the postal scale.

Post 13 Mar 2022, 18:04 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I was just looking at my 8185 that I dug out from the back of the closet. The wraps and guides look identical, but my rod is definitely a translucent "glow stick" and the model number is silk screened on, but it is very faint.

I think I need to get it out for some fishing.

Post 13 Mar 2022, 18:13 • #13 
Master Guide
Both of those are nice looking rods. I picked one up a few months ago but its not factory built, at least I dont think it is. I took mine out to the river to test and I really liked it with my older WF 8wt Loop steelhead line. It also did well with a standard WF 7. Bruce

Post 14 Mar 2022, 13:17 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I've never seen a factory Lami build with that kind of handwritten markings on it.

Post 14 Mar 2022, 13:44 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
A little glow here.

Post 22 Mar 2022, 20:59 • #16 
Master Guide
Beautiful rods, lads.

New Topic Add Reply