It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:44

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Jan 2022, 11:24 • #1 
Sport
I bought this well made Winston Retro glass rod not long ago and it feels pretty nice and is in excellent hardly used condition. It appears to have a nickel silver reelseat with cocobolo wood spacer. Standard specs for the rod are written on the tube cap. I wondered from what time period they were made and did these rods use the same blanks as the earlier Winston glass Fisher blanks. I was thinking of replacing the reelseat with the traditional aluminum cap and ring as found on the older glass rods just because that is bit lighter and it’s what I am used to. On the other hand it would knock down the value if it was not factory. Thanks & best Paul

Post 20 Jan 2022, 03:57 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
There are quite a lot topics about the Retro. Do a search and you'll have tons to read about

Post 20 Jan 2022, 07:00 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
canesterdf:

I am a big fan of the Retro that lived a short life from the late 1990’s into the early 2000’s which is AFTER the Tom Morgan era.

Winston rolled them in house as a tribute to the much earlier Stalkers. They featured a solid color medium brown blank and white spigot ferrules and came in a red rod sock with an embroidered Winston label sewn on and a white rod tube with a Winston logo and a gold screw cap.

They were offered in the following configurations (I own all but the 5’6” 2pc 3wt & the 7’6” 3pc 3wt ;) ):

5’0” 2pc 3wt

5’6” 2pc 3wt

6’6” 3pc 3wt

7’0” 3pc 3wt

7’0” 3pc 4wt

7’6” 3pc 3wt

7’6” 3pc 4wt

8’0” 3pc 4wt

When first released, they had the standard Winston cigar grip and the standard Winston nickel- silver, screw-lock/downlocking reelseat with a cocobolo insert and the Winston logo engraved on the bottom of the butt-cap. This was soon replaced by a brightly polished or chrome plated reelseat with thinner and lighter metal, also screw-lock/downlocking over cocobolo with NO Winston logo on the butt-cap.

However as this was in the era of the Winston of old, you could pretty much get any reelseat you wanted on it. I’ve seen quite a few with nickel-silver cork cap & ring and wood insert cap & ring reelseats. You could also get a custom grip if you desired as I've seen a few of those too.

As far as value goes, they went for around $425 when they were current. I’ve seen people asking stupid money for them, but I would venture to guess it would be relatively easy to get around $500+.

If you have one with the standard Winston nickel silver, screw-lock/downlocking reelseat with a cocobolo insert & logo, I’d keep it that way as those reelseats are WAY nicer than the later thin metal versions.

Also, if you have one of the later thin metal reelseat versions, you might want to check the butt-cap. On almost every Retro I own, the cap came loose so I had to re-glue it.

Like ibookje said, there is a lot of other information on the board if you search regarding opinions on certain rods and preferred lines & reels.

Enjoy your Retro!

Post 20 Jan 2022, 13:56 • #4 
Guide
I sold one for a guy who was cleaning out his vintage collection about 15 years ago...got $200 for the 6'6" 3 wt with no tube or sock

They had white spigot ferrules, all I recall

I collared Sage/Fenwick rod designer Jerry Siem at a trade show on the casting pond and he said he designed those rods with the white ferrules. He liked fiberglass rods, as I recall

Post 04 Feb 2022, 11:26 • #5 
Sport
A big big Thank you to all that have posted on my request. I now know the rod is much newer than my other Winston glass rods. I appreciate your help. I will watch the board a little more often now, though between vintage cane fly rods and restoration, old bass lures and sometimes double shotguns, yep of course reels too…I have to moderate myself….best to all, Paul

New Topic Add Reply