It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:29

New Topic Add Reply
FF806 End Cap/Plug Gap
Post 14 Jan 2022, 11:22 • #1 
Guide
I recently purchased an FF806 from the auction site and it's a really nice rod! I have a question since I'm new to these vintage Fenwicks.

The end cap/rubber plug at the butt end of the rod (I refuse to call it a butt plug) has a small gap between the cap/plug and the reel seat.

Is this normal? If not, should I tap it flush with a rubber mallet?

My only reference is an FF85 which has a flush cap, but it's a completely different style cap.

Post 14 Jan 2022, 11:46 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
It's a plug. A cap sits over the tube. It would be almost as normal if it were missing completely. Pull it out and yyu can see if the rod butt or reel seat tube is obstructing it from seating flush. If so, you can shave off part of it to create clearance. Probably it has just bulged and backed out some. You still want to pull it out before it falls out on its own. Reseat it and use a mild adhesive to keep it there.

Post 14 Jan 2022, 13:00 • #3 
Guide
Thanks whrlpool.

I can't budge it in or out, the previous owner might have glued it in, just not flush.

I'm going to leave it be, I don't think it will fall out.

Post 14 Jan 2022, 15:10 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Wow. Even more unusual. I guess I'd leave it there, too. The originals had a Fenwick logo, but I even if that one doesn't, I guess Fenwick might have used plain plugs at one time or another. Some of the aftermarket replacements from places like Mudhole are a snugger fit, so maybe it's one of those. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58837&p=287950&hilit=Fenwick+rubber+plug#p287950

Post 14 Jan 2022, 15:51 • #5 
Master Guide
i had one like that too. try boiling it in water for 4 or 5 minutes and then pull it.

Post 14 Jan 2022, 21:01 • #6 
Master Guide
That would drive me crazy... I'd want that fixed. xNYkid's boiling water suggestion sounds like a winner; just don't dip the reel seat in too far for fear of softening the adhesive holding the whole works on.

Well... it is a plug for the butt end of the reel seat. Searching for one on line will provide you with some entertaining results.
They are occasionally missing from old Fenwicks. I got the one I needed from Mudhole. (Which, I guess, sounds like an appropriate place to get a butt plug.)

Post 14 Jan 2022, 23:17 • #7 
Administrator
BrianN wrote:
I can't budge it in or out, the previous owner might have glued it in, just not flush. I'm going to leave it be, I don't think it will fall out.

Good plan.

If you fish with compulsive anglers, I recommend squeezing some chartreuse paint into the gap...

Tom

Post 15 Jan 2022, 12:12 • #8 
Guide
Thanks all for the suggestions.

It appears to be the original plug or at least the one with the logo. My eyes are so bad I can hardly tell if that is the Fenwick eagle or not (the picture isn't the greatest either).

I'll try the boiling method to remove. Any adhesive recommendations?

Post 15 Jan 2022, 15:06 • #9 
Administrator
BrianN wrote:
Any adhesive recommendations?

5-minute epoxy. If you need to take the plug out to try again, the 5-minute version will heat soften at a lower temperature.

Be careful that you don't also remove the reel seat while trying to pull out the plug. Hold the rod grip and reel seat together and aligned with blue tape in case the reel seat also gets loose.

Final recommendation, provide a way for air to escape from inside the rod while gluing the plug in. That way internal air pressure won't push the plug back out after you are finished.

Tom

Post 15 Jan 2022, 15:56 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I would just hit it with something. Then I would complain when it breaks.

Or maybe I would heat it up with a hair dryer and see if that would loosen up any adhesive.

Barry

New Topic Add Reply