It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:45

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Jan 2022, 17:01 • #1 
Guide
I just picked this rod up locally and wanted to share it here. I have yet to cast it but will try it with a wtf5 tomorrow. Also curious of what it's value might be?
Richard

This information taken from, "(Fiberglass Fly Rods By Victor R. Johnson & Victor R. Johnson Jr.)" Rods were made with E glass and S Glass and various resins. E=Glass and phenolic resins were used in many rods. the Pre-Preg glass cloth came from Hexcel as well as a number of other manufacturers. A 1944 catalog shows the following fiberglass rod series and their corresponding prices: Model 2A - Sweetheart $23.95 Model 7A - Columbine $17.50 Model 5A - Holiday $14.75 Model 4A - Sunrise $12.75 Model 3A - called 3A $ 9.95 By 1961, the company had introduced its Ambassador Series and Feather Light series. The Model AMF Ambassador was the top of the line rod with a price of $50, whereas the Model LWF Feather Light had a price of $14.95.
More photos of this rod at this link.
https://antiquerodandreels.com/rodmanufacturers/1283

Post 09 Jan 2022, 18:59 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like were still using the nice Granger reelseat when they made this one.

Post 09 Jan 2022, 20:04 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Neat old rod!

Most all the WM/Eagle claw rods I have had are on the fast & stiff side, and I would bet a 6 or 7wt would likely be a better choice, but use whatever line makes you happy.

Post 09 Jan 2022, 20:44 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
NIce rod and I agree with majicwrench, I bet it was designed as a 6 or 7 wt.

Post 09 Jan 2022, 23:11 • #5 
Piscator
JW Young postwar reels (pre-'62), with the square-ended feet. fit Grainger patent seat as if custom made for it.

Image Image

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 11 Jan 2022, 08:28, edited 2 times in total.

Post 09 Jan 2022, 23:14 • #6 
Guide
Thanks gentleman, I will give it a try tomorrow. Bulldog, I have always loved the Young reels for sure.

Post 14 Jan 2022, 21:31 • #7 
Sport
Hi All, I have owned and seen and cast many a W & M fiberglass rod and The Ambassador model rod is in a different class, by not only name but price and action. They are totally different than the usual W & M glass rods. The gold plated patent N/S reelseat, the number of guides also gold plated, the superb quality of the cork, the weight and action of the rod, nickel silver ferrules, the plain but quite well done wraps with the spiral tipping, also it came with two tips! all bring the rod to the pinnacle of glass rods at that time period. I think they would have named them the "Premier" if they weren't using it on the W & M Granger bamboo rod. it is simply elegant in its own right. If You get a chance to cast one you will be pleased I am sure.My rod was an 8 1/2 ft 2pc and cast a 5 or 6 dt just fine I have seen few of these for sale and i won't put a value on the rod because I do not post here very often. Enjoy that rod Best,Paul

Post 31 Oct 2023, 00:52 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Are there a higher grade ferrule on these rods ?
Higher than any other grade of glass rod they offered - but not the same as the cane rod.
Or are they ?

I own 2 myself... both have a straight and long female ferrule - covered in thread.
The 6 1/2 footer is a dreadful abomination. FAST. Not a great rod for my style.
Don't have the 7 footer.
The 7 1/2 footer is a superb rod with a wonderful flex profile - soft. Utter perfection.
(careful as the gold will seem to disappear if over polished)

New Topic Add Reply