It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:09

New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Jan 2022, 19:28 • #1 
Guide
Christmas came a little late for me (today 1/5). I’m the proud owner of my second Winston glass rod and I wanted to share. 7.5’ 5wt appears to be their standard offering (non stalker). I have a 7’ 4wt stalker too and can’t wait to try them side by side. It’s well below freezing where I am right now so haven’t been able to even lawn cast them yet.

The rod tube and rod appear to be original authentic. Not sure on the rod sock - it’s blue and no Winston patch sewed on. Could this be original too? The rod was very well kept - you’ll see from the pictures. Came to me nicer than the stalker I have condition wise. The rod itself has no serial just 7.5’ 5wt marking on it. The handwriting appears to be the same as the stalker I have.

The rod itself is very nice - and so so light. Pics below!

Post 04 Jan 2022, 21:41 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Congratulations. The old San Francisco Winstons are classics.
It sounds like you are building yourself a nice little Winston collection.

Post 05 Jan 2022, 09:19 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Nice! Isn't there written how heavy the rod is?
It could be the DT5 or the DT6 model (Winston 1975 catalog)

Please show us your other Stalker next to this one.

Post 05 Jan 2022, 17:14 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
As a model name, the "Stalker" line came a few years later for line weights 2, 3, and 4. That's one of the standard models of the time as the OP said, and marked for 5 weight line. The 6 weight would be easy to discern in casting, but would also have been marked. An exception might be a kit rod. The tip diameter of the 5 and 6 is probably different, I think by 1/2 size. Maybe the OP can get good shots of the labeling on that rod and the Stalker 4 weight. Great pair of Winstons.

Post 06 Jan 2022, 09:17 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a factory built rod to me

Post 06 Jan 2022, 12:18 • #6 
Ive had a couple of these and the bags were red with labels attached. Todd

Post 06 Jan 2022, 17:08 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, no reason to think it isn't a shop rod ("factory" being just as good a term, understanding that there wasn't a large production facility). The components could be sourced and/or were packaged as kits, so it would be very easy to make a factory duplicate that looked the same in every respect. The label or lack of one might be an indicator, but "the same writing" seems to cinch it. As for the bag, who doesn't replace one or get them mixed up, and better to have the right rod in the "wrong" sock than the other way around. In keeping with small shop production (and large factory, too) of the time, sourcing could affect incidental components, so a blue bag might have been what was at hand when the rod was ordered. I bumped into a friend today who has a 7 1/2 purchased in that era but forgot to ask what it came with for a sock. He's the type who might actually remember. I don't, and I've tried it several times.

New Topic Add Reply