It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:09

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Dec 2021, 21:35 • #1 
Hi,
I am trying to get a photo of a Shakespeare 7'9" fiberglass 2-piece fly rod. It is the model FY-220 Executive Extra-Light. It is from 1966 and weighs 3.5 ounces. Takes line HDH (line 6).

Also need a photo for Shakespeare FY-340 Standard Taper, line 7, 3.75 oz, 1973 2-pc fiberglass fly rod.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Hopper Ron

Post 29 Dec 2021, 23:41 • #2 
Administrator
Hi Hopper Ron,

Welcome to the Forum!

Usually someone supplies a photo and we try to figure out what model it is, not the other way around. In 15+ years administering this forum, I don't recall anyone asking for photos of an exact Wonderod, down to the year it was made. Is there something specific you are looking for in the photos?

Your best bet is the Shakespeare catalog thread (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=67483). Forum member Wrong88 has provided scans of catalogs dating back to the earliest glass that Shakespeare sold. The catalog descriptions should be useful for rod rebuilding or guide rewrapping.

Tom

Post 30 Dec 2021, 10:59 • #3 
I have an unmarked Shakespeare 7'9" 2 pc fiberglass fly rod that weighed 3.5 oz. I re-varnished the rod, so the present weight is 3.7 ounces. The catalog suggests that it is either a model FY-220 or a FY-340 based on rod weight. If I could view one of the other of these rods in a color photo, I could ID my rod correctly. My unmarked Shakespeare Wonderod has maroon and black windings, a cigar shaped cork ring handle and reel seat. I examined the entire list of vintage rod descriptors on line and it boils down to one or the other of the two choices above based on the unique rod weight involved. I want to correctly ID the unmarked rod, for it appears to be a top light fly rod with a welted rather than rolled female ferrule. This feature suggests it may be the FY-220 Extra Light Executive model. A photo would verify. Make sense? Hopper Ron.

Post 30 Dec 2021, 11:24 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Even then, "we reserve the right to change specifications without notice" is the norm of the time period for supply and manufacture, so a given catalog description or photograph, especially of a low volume item, isn't always definitive. It can be what the sales manager named it for the photo shoot, or the way the shop foreman had it built when they ran out of certain compenent. Keep using the search function here, including the catalogs, and you may find it or something close. Realize that, in particular, stated weight is seldom definitive. Fly rod weights are nominal.

New Topic Add Reply