It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:00

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Dec 2021, 19:11 • #1 
Sport
I just added another Fenwick, an FF70-4 "c" vintage that is nearly new, proper bag and tube. Paid a bit more than I should have, but I didn't have a multi-piece or short fly rod.

To the point, it is butt heavy with steel locking ring and butt plug, about .6 ounce over the 3 1/8 oz. label. They were corroded but cleaned up somewhat. I wonder if this belies a replacement or a factory work-around.

A much respected source assures me that this configuration is not unusual, but I'm looking to replace the plug to shift the balance at least a little bit. I intend to add photos to lend a look at this seat. It will be my first attachment of pics.and I hope my posting history will allow.
Thanks for the patience with my ineptitude and your knowledge of Fenwicks, Charlie

My image attempts are corrupting the text, so...?

Post 25 Dec 2021, 20:43 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
viewtopic.php?t=2353#p6834

If you can't figure it out, send pictures to me and I will post em. I have sent you a PM with my email

Post 25 Dec 2021, 21:23 • #3 
Sport
I watched that one sell on the big auction site live...a lot of activity in the last minute!

I'm far from a Fenwick expert, but I've weighed a lot of vintage rods and few seem to exactly match the markings.

Post 26 Dec 2021, 02:36 • #4 
Master Guide
Following. Hope to see pics soon.

Post 26 Dec 2021, 10:15 • #5 
Administrator
Actual rod weights rarely match the number printed on the label. I've seen many that were heavier and a few that were lighter. Fenwicks can be all over the place.

Your rod has a typical 60s era Fenwick reelseat with a single ring. The lock ring and plug are aluminum (steel attracts a magnet). Both parts have the typical wear seen with a well used 60 year old rod. The plug takes a lot of abuse from contact with the ground. Removing the plug will not reduce the weight significantly. Instead, plan to work with the reel weight to give the balance you want.

Sometimes posting photos doesn't make sense the first time. You have to upload your photos to an online location so they can be accessed by everyone. In our case, the forum stores the photos for you. Please let me know if you need more help.

Tom

Post 26 Dec 2021, 11:47 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I'm with Tom, Fenwick weights are seldom close.

Post 26 Dec 2021, 13:13 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, weights are nominal. I'm not sure why the rod feels "butt heavy," except, perhaps, relative to another rod you are accustomed to. Unlikely, but possible, is that someone removed the plug and inserted weight(s) into the hollow of the butt. Easy to remove and check, and easy to replace the reel seat with another more to your liking anyhow.

Post 26 Dec 2021, 13:23 • #8 
Guide
majicwrench wrote:
I'm with Tom, Fenwick weights are seldom close.

Case in point, my two F-series FF70-4’s:
- both labels say 3-1/8 oz
- rod #1 actual weight: 2.7 oz
- rod #2 actual weight 2.9 oz
And this is the variance within just one letter-series (1965-66); so across letter-series (longer periods of time), one could reasonably expect even greater weight variance…

New Topic Add Reply