It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:19

New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Dec 2021, 13:33 • #1 
Sport
Hi all,

I've done searches and read a bunch here but I'd appreciate some input. I spotted this rod at a small auction and was considering bidding on it. It's a Ted Williams III 7' 6" for 6wt line and from what I've read here, I'm guessing has to be a Shakespeare Wonderod. The part where I get lost is that I've seen mention than some of the TW rods were the higher end Shakespeare Presidential or Professional rods and references to some being Howald versions. The wraps and finishing on this rod seem to be similar to some of the Presidential and Professional models I found pictures of, but I'm a total novice, so maybe it's something else?

Somewhat related, is there a reference site for the Shakespeare rods that I can do some reading? I found info scattered about, but couldn't sort out whether all of their higher end versions were Howald process or not and then my head started to spin!

I'll try attaching some pictures.

Last edited by G-ManBart on 14 Dec 2021, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Dec 2021, 14:49 • #2 
Guide
Ted Williams rods..and sporting gear like baseball gloves..were marketed by Sears & Roebuck. It may be a good conclusion that Shakespeare produced that rod for Sears, but I have seen 7'9" Wonderods and do not know about 7'6" models. They were white, but perhaps they went to other colors when producing for a label like Ted Williams/Sears. There were times when the retailers gave them specs on the products they wanted to sell..probably still happens. Cabela's got Sage to reissue what they called the "XP" series of rods recently.

Like Abercrombie&Fitch and other retailers, they used more than one manufacturer over the years for their fly and spinning models..reels get even more complicated to identify.

I pay attention to the manufacturer label, but try to fish the rod to see if it performs well..if it works for you and you like fishing it. The Wonderods fish pretty well.

Post 11 Dec 2021, 15:06 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a fun rod!

Post 11 Dec 2021, 18:00 • #4 
Sport
Phil-a-Flex wrote:
Ted Williams rods..and sporting gear like baseball gloves..were marketed by Sears & Roebuck. It may be a good conclusion that Shakespeare produced that rod for Sears, but I have seen 7'9" Wonderods and do not know about 7'6" models. They were white, but perhaps they went to other colors when producing for a label like Ted Williams/Sears. There were times when the retailers gave them specs on the products they wanted to sell..probably still happens. Cabela's got Sage to reissue what they called the "XP" series of rods recently.

Like Abercrombie&Fitch and other retailers, they used more than one manufacturer over the years for their fly and spinning models..reels get even more complicated to identify.

I pay attention to the manufacturer label, but try to fish the rod to see if it performs well..if it works for you and you like fishing it. The Wonderods fish pretty well.

I probably should have added more to my first post. From other hobbies I'm pretty familiar with how Sears used to use codes in their part numbers based upon which company made the part. Knowing that, I did a Google search on Sears fly rod codes, or something similar and found multiple references to the code 535 being for Shakespeare, including a thread here, so I'm pretty sure it's a Shakespeare product.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51017&p=223665&hilit=ted+williams+rod#p223665

I also found references here talking about how the TW rods are often cream or honey colored, so that fits as well. Similarly, I found people talking about Shakespeare 7'6" glass rods, but I'm not sure if they were Wonderod or Wonderglass models. I started going though all the catalog pages on the Wiki page and my eyes started to glaze over...that's about when I posted this thread. In the catalogs they definitely showed Wonderglass models that would fit and I saw others that length marked "Presidential" so it's not easy to follow being new to all this.

I did see someone else here has this exact rod listed in their rundown of all the rods they own, but no more detail than that. Hopefully someone can correct any mistakes I'm making!

Magicwrench I totally agree....definitely looks fun!

Post 11 Dec 2021, 19:13 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I am not that knowledgeable with Shakespeare rod grades, but my impression from handling a couple of Ted Williams marked Shakespeare bait casters is that they were the high end Shakespeare grades.

Post 12 Dec 2021, 10:52 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I have an almost identical rod, save for having Sizematic ferrules and less Mylar with no labeling what so ever.

It was given to me a long time ago and I've thought about redoing it because I really like it, in my case with a 5wt line. It's also the rod my wife caught her first trout on, before she was my wife. (Now that we're married, I would never DREAM about taking her trout fishing. ;) )

What is interesting about my rod is both the Sizematic ferrules and the tiptop look like they were applied after the fact so maybe it was a repair or a kit?

Maybe I need to be on the hunt for an example like Bart's? :)

Nice rod, I'm jealous!!

Last edited by Bamboozle on 12 Dec 2021, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

Post 12 Dec 2021, 14:30 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I would say you are correct.I had a Ted Williams casting rod ,for sure a Wonderod blank.Even had the faux leather zippeerd case that some Wonderods came in.I gifted to a buddy.Really nicely built and pretty fancy reel seat for the time period.I have a couple Sears Robuck fly rods and they are not Wonderods.I do believe Ted Williams had his own line of fishing rods outside of Sears.

Post 12 Dec 2021, 17:04 • #8 
Master Guide
I'd bank on it being a Wonderod blank made by Shakespeare. I have numerous 7'6" Wonderods and they are all nice rods to fish with. It took me awhile to like them because I assumed that their 6 rating was too heavy and I was trying to make them work on small streams with a 4 or 5. Once I tried a 6, they came to life. Don't let the 6 fool you, they are fun with smaller panfish.

I also have a 7'6" Pflueger made on a Wonderod blank after the 2 companies merged and it has the same kind of mylar that this one does - but of course many of the 1967-70 era rods did. There were numerous Wonderod colors, I've see White, off-White, Dark Salmon, Light Salmon, Grey, Yellow ...... and the Pflueger I have is a light Grey. The best resources I've seen are;

1) The Wiki link at the top of this site's homepage;
https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Shakespeare

2) A listing of all the Shakespeare/Pflueger model #s;
https://s3.amazonaws.com/szmanuals/c8be ... 25fa11ea2b

3) Photos of nice examples, including numerous colors at (must scroll down, manufacturers are in alpha order);
https://antiquerodandreels.com/rodmanufacturers

4) A Shakespeare history;
http://www.antiquelures.com/Shakehistory.htm

Post 13 Dec 2021, 10:46 • #9 
Sport
Bamboozle wrote:
Maybe I need to be on the hunt for an example like Bart's? :)

Nice rod, I'm jealous!!

I don't have it yet, but I'm going to bid on it for sure!

Thanks the hersh and springer1....just what I was hoping to hear and great references. I knew about the wiki pages, but not the other two so I'll check those out.

I'm sure my wife is now thinking "great, now it's fiberglass fly rods. Hopefully he has room for another dozen in the closet where he keeps them hidden"....lol!

Post 13 Dec 2021, 15:18 • #10 
Guide
springer1 wrote:

I also have a 7'6" Pflueger made on a Wonderod blank after the 2 companies merged and it has the same kind of mylar that this one does - but of course many of the 1967-70 era rods did. There were numerous Wonderod colors, I've see White, off-White, Dark Salmon, Light Salmon, Grey, Yellow ...... and the Pflueger I have is a light Grey.

To me that's quite interesting. There's a rod up in my attic that belonged to my Dad in the late 70s. It's 8 1/2' long, and as I recall a 7- or 8-weight. It no longer has the original guides, wrappings, or reel seat and grip. It does, however, have the spiral markings typical of Wonderods and a light grey color. I've thought it was a Pflueger, but this is the first I've seen to support that suspicion. It will probably be returned to its original purpose sometime in the future as a winter project.

Post 13 Dec 2021, 19:57 • #11 
Administrator
G-ManBart wrote:
I spotted this rod at a small auction and was considering bidding on it.

Oops. I didn't notice that earlier. In general I prefer if we don't discuss rods until the auction is over.

First off, sellers have signed up just to woof about us bad mouthing their valuable goods (not that they didn't deserve it...). Still, talking up an auction (or the opposite) could be considered price manipulation. Auction prices should be determined by the people bidding, not the peanut gallery.

Second, as my father-in-law used to say to anyone late to dinner, "We waited for you, just like one dog waits for another". In other words, highlighting an auction before it is over is a good way to get outbid. At least a couple of posters have expressed their interest in finding an example of this rod for themselves. So be warned, there are no 'dibs' at online auctions.

Finally, if the rod photos shown were taken by the seller, we don't have the right to display them without the seller's permission. The seller owns the copyright to the photos, even if the rod is sold. I try to defend the copyrights of forum members when I see them misused. I don't think we should misuse the copyrights of others.

Tom

Post 13 Dec 2021, 20:35 • #12 
Sport
jgestar wrote:
G-ManBart wrote:
I spotted this rod at a small auction and was considering bidding on it.

Oops. I didn't notice that earlier. In general I prefer if we don't discuss rods until the auction is over.

First off, sellers have signed up just to woof about us bad mouthing their valuable goods (not that they didn't deserve it...). Still, talking up an auction (or the opposite) could be considered price manipulation. Auction prices should be determined by the people bidding, not the peanut gallery.

Second, as my father-in-law used to say to anyone late to dinner, "We waited for you, just like one dog waits for another". In other words, highlighting an auction before it is over is a good way to get outbid. At least a couple of posters have expressed their interest in finding an example of this rod for themselves. So be warned, there are no 'dibs' at online auctions.

Finally, if the rod photos shown were taken by the seller, we don't have the right to display them without the seller's permission. The seller owns the copyright to the photos, even if the rod is sold. I try to defend the copyrights of forum members when I see them misused. I don't think we should misuse the copyrights of others.

Tom

Sorry, my mistake. My intent was just ID, not value, condition, etc so I wasn't thinking along those lines, but I totally get what you're saying.

I was going off the sticky about eBay and it mentioned other auctions, etc and thought it was okay...the section below is what I thought said it was okay but I can see how I read it wrong:

"If someone requests a particular rod on the Wanted forum, posting a link to an eBay auction in that thread would be appropriate (or a link to any other website). It would also be appropriate to link to an auction/commercial site if the particular rod or reel is the subject of a discussion thread."

I can edit and remove the pictures if you think it's appropriate.

Post 14 Dec 2021, 00:03 • #13 
Administrator
Actually, I should reword that. The writing isn't clear to me and I wrote it.

As far as the photos go, please edit them out. When you win the auction you can take a better set of photos with more detail! Thanks for understanding.

Tom

Post 18 Dec 2021, 17:20 • #14 
Sport
jgestar wrote:
Actually, I should reword that. The writing isn't clear to me and I wrote it.

As far as the photos go, please edit them out. When you win the auction you can take a better set of photos with more detail! Thanks for understanding.

Tom

Well, it worked out and the rod is headed my way, or should be soon....they printed a shipping label a couple of days ago, but it doesn't seem to have gotten to UPS just yet. Pictures will be updated as soon as it gets here!

Post 18 Dec 2021, 18:37 • #15 
Master Guide
HEY G MAN, you could go to Antique rod and reel library. that is owned by a fella on here by the name of "REEL IL"
best regards
TOOTY

Post 22 Dec 2021, 19:57 • #16 
Sport
Well, I guess I'm the new guy who's confused. :eek You can't post back to back, so there's no way for anyone to know the thread has been updated, but the posting guide discourages editing after time has passed, but it was suggested I add pictures when I get the rod. I'm pretty sure I'm breaking some sort of rule at this point... :lol

Still, I hate when people abandon a thread and don't follow up, so here goes:

The rod got here today and it's a really nice casting rod...it really was very easy to pick up and go. It's marked for a DT6, but I only had a WF6 spooled, so that's what I tried and it worked really well. It was cold and breezy so I didn't spend too much time with it, but I'd say 30-60 feet was the sweet spot. I didn't try to go farther than that, but I'm sure it could...just not really practical for anything I'd be doing with it.

I weighed it on my postal scale at got 3.2oz, so it's half an ounce lighter than comparable cane rods I have, and very similar feeling. Honestly, from a casting quality per dollar ratio it may be my best buy ever!

Post 09 Jan 2022, 09:07 • #17 
I've had a couple of those TW Shakespeare trout rods on the rack over the years and once they are picked up and cast they never last very long, I would add that later in the game Sears put the TW trademark on some pretty nice Diawa glass rods, in my hands they (gasp!) were better casters than the Shakespeare-based models. Todd

Post 09 Jan 2022, 15:51 • #18 
Master Guide
Thanks for posting, nice find - Looks like a Wonderod to me !

I've found that the 7'6" versions are not as forgiving for overlying / underlining as some other rods can be; the ones I use seem to like a 6 weight. But then I use them for smaller streams & have no need to try longer casts.

New Topic Add Reply