It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:54

New Topic Add Reply
A&F Banty 44
Post 06 Dec 2021, 22:16 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Picked one of these up.

Any suggestions on lines or a reel would be appreciated.

Never cast one before and don't expect it to be a great fishing tool. But, I like to try out as many different rods as possible and this one is certainly different.

Also, who made these for A&F? Has the ferrule with an O-Ring if it helps in the identification.

Barry

Re: A&F Banty 44
Post 06 Dec 2021, 22:57 • #2 
Sport
If I’m thinking of the right thing, and it’s been a while, these rods came with a hardy flyweight and a specific line. I have one of those lines and can take a picture tomorrow if you are interested - I don’t think my line has a weight designation, but thought I read that they were 6 weight. If you search online, there are posts that describe the taper and what other lines might be suitable replacements. I do know that Philipson made some of these rods for A&F, but I don’t think they were the only ones.

Post 07 Dec 2021, 00:01 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the info. I've heard Phillipson also, but nothing on this rod resembles any Phillipson I've owned. Although, they may have made something completely different for A&F.

Post 07 Dec 2021, 10:09 • #4 
Sport
Here is the line. I am pretty sure there are discussions online about who might have manufactured it, I just cannot remember. Might look here too, they list another builder: https://www.antiquerodandreels.com/rodmanufacturers/134

Post 07 Dec 2021, 10:20 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46841

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45493

Post 07 Dec 2021, 13:57 • #6 
Sport
Mine works well with a dt6. A Heddon 300 and a Ryall jr reels work for me. The hardest thing to do is adjust your casting stroke because of the short length. It is a neat little rod and fun to fish. Great find.
Vern

Post 07 Dec 2021, 14:54 • #7 
Guide
Phillipson I think , at least I always thought they made the A&F Banty
glass Rods . They are real "broomsticks" but cast well with the A&F WF short taper Monogram #5 Banty Line that was manufactured by Gladding corporation (I have a New old stock Monogram Banty line , contact me if interested) . Modern short head WF lines that are front loaded to handle today's fast rods will also work fine, #4 or 5.

Last edited by 6footrod on 07 Dec 2021, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Dec 2021, 15:37 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for all the good information.

Barry

Post 07 Dec 2021, 16:22 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Always wanted to check one out but most i saw alsp had the hardy reel and case.They all seemed to be the Phillipson version and were all out of my price range for something i know little about.I do own a 4' Fly Atom rod that is considered a novelty but actually can throe 30' of peach 6wt DT.I have 8' foot ceilings and have cast it in the house as well as outside.I believe the reel i use,more due to the fact that the line was already on it than any preference is a Daiwa 730.I think it is only 2/3 of a full peach DT.Never fished it because i always forget i have it.

Post 07 Dec 2021, 18:25 • #10 
Sport
I have a Fly Atom as well - interesting little rod. I bought an Airex Ablette 373 specifically for this rod, but haven't gotten around to spooling the Banty line.

Post 07 Dec 2021, 18:56 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Does anyone have both the Fly Atom and the A&F Banty to offer a comparison?

Post 08 Dec 2021, 10:53 • #12 
Sport
I don't unfortunately, but can say that the Fly Atom is 4.5 feet, so a bit longer, and pretty fast. Sort of surprised me, was honestly expecting something much slower.

Post 09 Dec 2021, 11:37 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I bought mine as much for the novelty factor,i love odd ball fishing gear and such.The rod tube sold me on it and the fact it was NOS.I did not pay much and was quite surprised that it was a functioning flyrod that casts pretty well.More surprised it is a 6wt.

Post 10 Dec 2021, 13:49 • #14 
Guide
Banty brings back fond memories. My grandfather gave me a brand-new $50 bill for Christmas--this must have been around l965 or so? I took the Long Island Rail Road into Manhattan, walked over to the Abercrombie & Fitch store, took the elevator to the floor with the fishing tackle.

Young FFR members may not know this, but before Bean's and similar were famous, A & F was THE outdoor store of choice, not a maker of clothes for teenagers.

So, for $50, I bought the Banty, which of course came with a Hardy reel and the case and the line. Fished it hard over the years, until I broke it I forget how. And yes, it was stiff, but it cast a lot of line, and I caught lots of fish on it.

Merry Christmas everyone. Pass it on!

Post 10 Dec 2021, 15:38 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks WD,that is a great recollection and 50 bucks was a chunk of change in 65,i was 4 then and could be very happy given a quarter.As we got older me and my friends would go to Morrie Mages in downtown Chicago.Sporting goods department store with 9 floors.A different department on each.We also went to the Army Navy surplus and a salvage surplus place where you could get hooks by the 1000 and bobbers by the gross and all kinds of other stuff.I remember buying sections of cane rods in all kinds of diameters.Barrels full of them.I still have a few very stout pieces that i guess were for heavy salt water rods.I wonder who these were made for.I had some that would be fly rod sections that didn;t survive.

Post 10 Dec 2021, 16:41 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Received the rod in very nice condition. (Cork a little soiled)

I generally underline rods because I like a fast action. Certainly not the case here. A four weight line wouldn't load it and a six weight was about right. I almost wonder if a seven weight would work better for close in work.

Think a seven weight, heavy (short) leader and a Hula Popper might be fun for close in big bass.

This puppy is tiny, put a three piece Fenwick rod tube by it for comparison.

Post 10 Dec 2021, 17:21 • #17 
Sport
Good looking rod. Have fun with it. Any thoughts on who made it?
Vern

Post 10 Dec 2021, 17:53 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Vern,

jmq4 supplied a link in an above post that gave this information.

"Remarks: This particular version of the Banty 44 was built by Ken Trisler of "Custombuilt Of Milwaukee, Inc" These Banty 44s were also built by The Phillipson Rod and Tackle Co. This rod is packaged in a tube that is attached to its tackle box. A Hardy Fly Weight Reel also comes with the kit, all included. The only similar set I have seen is a Gladding set called the Complete Angler. Please see that rod under the Gladding manufacturer. (Material.. Hollow Fiberglass)"

New Topic Add Reply