It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:58

New Topic Add Reply
McFarland or Epic?
Post 25 Nov 2021, 20:13 • #1 
Guide
Hi,

I am looking at a McFarland Tailwind 9’1” 7wt or an Epic 686 for smallies. Which one should I choose?

Thanks,

Doug

Re: McFarland or Epic?
Post 25 Nov 2021, 21:48 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
The tailwind is fast graphite. I would choose a McFarland Gtx for small mouth. I love my 6wt tailwind, but my Gtx 686 is a nicer ros for small poppers. I would probably go to a Gtx 7wt for a dedicated small mouth rod.

I have cast the epic 686 (first gen glass) and while it is a very capable rod, I didn't enjoy it as much as the McFarland rods.

Post 25 Nov 2021, 21:56 • #3 
Guide
Thanks Carlz. The hardest thing about these rods for me is that I cannot “wiggle” them. Kind of a big ticket item to purchase online. I have been told the McFarland Tailwind is the ultimate smallmouth rod. Medium action graphite? I am going to do research on the GTX now. I appreciate your help.

Doug

Post 26 Nov 2021, 06:15 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Unless you're set on buying a brand new rod, you might think about picking up a used Epic 686. There are quite a few of them around and if you didn't like it you could resell without much of a loss. Also, there are some very good vintage rods in that weight range that make good smallmouth rods in the under $200 range.

New Topic Add Reply