It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:29

New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Nov 2021, 12:20 • #1 
Master Guide
Is this early Phillipson glass? Seems like cool classic glass with Mylar wraps (1962 or so?). The 7' has shortened tip section...the 7.5' has a missing slide band and maybe a ferrule wrap issue. Would like to make the 7.5' whole again. Is it pretty easy to remove the butt cap to move the slide band to the 7.5' and replace the caps without destroying the cork? No sock or tube. Are these desirable enough tapers in this condition to warrant $100 for both?

Sandman

Post 22 Nov 2021, 12:40 • #2 
Piscator
I would say yes to Phillipson, supported by the hardware and mylar.
I don't like the broken tip, can't tell from the photos, but I suspect the butt cap is pinned, which can be removed and repaired.
Would push for a better price to warrant all that work, especially considering the quiver you must have loaded by now.

Post 23 Nov 2021, 10:47 • #3 
Master Guide
Thanks for the help BD...I'll see what I can do...It's hard to pass up classic Phillipson tapers.

Sandman

Post 23 Nov 2021, 11:33 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Sure the cap cap and ring can be repaired. Worst case scenario, still easy as can be, lowermost cork removed completely, ring put on, new cork glued on and cap put back. Or a new reel seat of whatever type you like, installed from the butt. Those are both project rods, though, so the price is way too high except for someone with a special affection that just can't wait. A labor of love to repair a tip with that much missing if that were already one's own favorite rod; it could be done with a satisfactory result, but will never be the same.

Post 23 Nov 2021, 13:44 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
+1 to whrlpool's comment.

the 7' with tip short by 6" or more is basically broken, worth maybe $20 at best.
The missing slip ring is very odd but that's not hard to fix. The ferrule wrap problem might be covering a ferrule problem which could be very tricky, there aren't good replacements for the Phillipson ferrules.

Post 24 Nov 2021, 18:32 • #6 
Master Guide
Thanks all...while it looks like the 7.5' may be savable by replacing the slide ring, I don't wat to take the chance on the ferrule damage, or is it missing the ferrule? Either way, I'm passing. I really appreciate the input. You guys are a valuable resource for some of us with less rod building/repair experience. Always good to put more eyes on it.

Sandman

Post 25 Nov 2021, 01:30 • #7 
Administrator
A lot about those rods looks like Phillipson, but not the ferrules. The ferrules look like bronze Super-Zs, which are seen on 50s era Conolon rods. Phillipson blanks were almost always sold with their ferrules. The rods in the photo are, 1) an Orvis Fullflex with a Phillipson ferrule, 2) a custom rod built on a Silaflex blank with Super Z ferrule, 3) an Eagle Claw rod, 4) a Wright & McGill rod. Clearer photos of the ferrules would help.

Try negotiating the price down and maybe there is some winter rod repair fun in them.

Tom

New Topic Add Reply