It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:01

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Nov 2021, 21:10 • #1 
Sport
I’ve been bitten by the glass bug and I think I’m going anaphylactic!!!

Several years ago I happened upon a nice TFO Finesse Glass 7’ 3/4 for cheap and it cast beautifully, but I really never had much (nada) opportunity to use it. Then last summer I bought some small stream rods for northern New Mexico and also started playing with bamboo. Slowing things down improved my casting immensely.

This fall I started lawn casting my TFO and doing research on glass. I started a fruitless search for an Orvis SFG 7’6” 3wt…nothing…simply not available. Ironically, I found a NOS 3wt 7’ on Amazon as a fluke. A fly shop had discovered one when cleaning out their stock room!

Next I find an unfished Barclay 5wt 7’10” that had belonged to Chris’ father-in-law. Then I was about to pull the trigger on an Epic 686 until the price jumped. Low and behold…a Graywolf 6/7 built on a Steffen blank appears! Then a classified listing for a lightly used Scott F-663. So now I have 5 glass rods that I don’t need in about two months!!!!

Then last night a post appears in my Facebook Marketplace. New, unregistered, from an Orvis dealer… a 3 wt 7’6” SFG!.

I keep telling myself it’s going to be ok because I get double miles on my credit card!

So…what can you guys tell me about my newest acquisition? Favorite line? Strengths…weaknesses. Given the other glass rods in my quiver…how would you fish this one?

Post 18 Nov 2021, 07:21 • #2 
Piscator
the mistake most make registering on the forum is not listing their hometown in their profile.
It gives us the context of where and how you normally fish.

Post 18 Nov 2021, 15:24 • #3 
Guide
That SFG 763 is a beauty. Take it easy, let the rod do the work, enjoy the ride. I’ve tried mine with SA Mastery Trout wf3f and Rio LightLine wf3f. Both work well, I prefer the SA for a bit more finesse and control at all distances.

I fish Catskill-style dries, small nymphs and soft hackles on this rod. It’s super light in the tip so will fish beautifully in close on small, brush-lined creeks, but I shy away from bigger bugs with this rod. It’ll generate a good amount of line speed and spit out 40’ of line though, no problem. It’ll throw longer too but from 40’ and out, you really can’t rush that soft tip. Slow and steady, let the rod do the work… Inside 40’ is where this rod really shines. Super accurate and roll casts are a blast. You’re gonna love it!

If you ever need to thin the herd and sell off that Scott 663, give me a shout ; )

I would sign off by saying “have fun” but it looks like you’ve got that covered. Cheers!

Last edited by BigHeavy on 18 Nov 2021, 21:27, edited 2 times in total.

Post 18 Nov 2021, 15:42 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
What, I don't understand the issue.......

Post 18 Nov 2021, 20:36 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
For the Orvis 7'6" 3wt, I played around with different lines until I found one I liked: the 406 DT3F. Works well for me. I actually like that particular line a lot; I even use it on my Echo Shadow II 3wt for (pseudo) euro-nymphing.

I typically use it for creek fishing, smaller rivers, even the occasional Sierra lake. It's caught me some nice fish. Enjoy !

Post 23 Nov 2021, 20:52 • #6 
Master Guide
Beautiful pics thanks for sharing!

Post 24 Nov 2021, 08:02 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
sounds like you're becoming a bit of a glass geek yourself....

That's not a bad thing, that's a fun thing

Post 26 Nov 2021, 17:16 • #8 
Guide
I Second on the 406 fly line with the 7’6”3wt , on the 7’0” 3wt , it is fishing very nicely for me with a Wulff Tri-Taper in regular ole WF , I expect a longbelly would fish equally well …? Have Fun

Post 29 Nov 2021, 14:17 • #9 
Exactly.
At the end of the day, 'the man who dies with the most toys, dies with the most toys!'

Life is too short. I say enjoy!

New Topic Add Reply