It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:45

New Topic Add Reply
H I Mohawk 1422 query
Post 17 Nov 2021, 06:59 • #1 
Sport
Good day one and all. I was recently fortunate to purchase a good condition H I Mohawk 1422. I'll have to clean up a little corrosion and revarnish a few wraps. However, I was wondering if anyone might know an approximate date of production, and also recommend a few line sizes to try. Thank you in advance, all the best, Mike.

Post 17 Nov 2021, 10:10 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
How long??

Most all rods of that era were 6/7 weights.

I've always had a soft spot for 3 piece rods!

Post 17 Nov 2021, 11:56 • #3 
Sport
Hi Majicwrench, thank you for responding. It is 8'6" and fairly heavy. I haven't weighed it yet, but a Martin MG8 is slightly light to balance it. Just playing on the lawn, I'd say an 8 weight may be the answer, although it may be different on the water.

Post 19 Nov 2021, 08:04 • #4 
Master Guide
Wiseguy----You have a nice looking rod there. I have several H-I rods, most are 6 wts.---I also have one 3 pcs. model "Admiral Deluxe". It has a tobacco blank and I am guessing a 5 wt.. I also have a Ambercrombie & Fitch model "Yellowstone" that is the same color as your. Around 1958 give or take a few year that color was very popular---Oldsmobile had a car that color so I would guess that it might be from that time frame. If it is stiff, I would guess a 7 wt.---possibly an 8 wt. I wish they would have had some sort of numbering system for length and line wt.

Post 19 Nov 2021, 12:08 • #5 
Sport
Midmofly, thank you for your input. Interesting to think this rod could be older than myself. It is an unusual metallic bronze, champagne, gold colour. Whatever it's history, I'm looking forward to getting it onto the water soon. All the best, Mike.

New Topic Add Reply