It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:42

New Topic Add Reply
Phantom Eventension
Post 06 Nov 2021, 09:54 • #1 
Sport
I created a topic on another forum looking for the Gudebrod 'clown' thread. I found some, so thank you to all that replied to my post. I needed it to fix a couple of wraps on a Phantom Eventension fly rod. Its interesting because its square solid fiberglass for the first part of the butt section, then becomes solid round, and the entire tip section is solid round. The Johnson & Johnson book briefly mentions Phantom as an early producer of solid fiberglass rods and a 'Mr. McGuire' as perhaps the pioneer.

I was searching for more information, and didn't find very much, but did run across Phantom Eventension solid fiberglass bows (there are some on the auction site). If you look closely at the figure on the left hand side, its a phantom holding a bow (across the midsection) and I assume an arrow (or fishing rod) on the diagonal. If you zoom in you can make out his face. I guess that 'eventension' makes more sense for a bow than a fly rod, but I am not at all involved in archery.

I thought that this was very cool, and begs the question of what came first, the bow or the fly rod? It's also marked F70, which if I am not mistaken, is also what is on the fully square solid fiberglass Wright and McGill 'Panfish' fly rods. I wonder if they were sourced from Phantom or vice/versa?

Re: Phantom Eventension
Post 08 Nov 2021, 06:38 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
As the proud owner of a W&McG PF7, I am intrigued by your Eventension. That photo of the butt section looks very close in color to the PF7, and raises some questions:

Is that yellow cast in color a paint, or a yellowed varnish or other coating? The blank color under the missing yellow band in the check wrap looks very close to the color of the raw glass of the PF7.
It sounds like the tips are different, the PF7 tip is square, not round. Is the rod's action a very stiff butt with a very soft tip?
Are the ferrules aluminum?
Are the guide feet wrapped with one continuous thread?
Is the reel seat anodized one color?
What is the shape of the grip, and is the cork cut with the grain, or across it?

It is just idle curiosity, but I would appreciate anything you might want to share.

John

Post 08 Nov 2021, 16:18 • #3 
Sport
John - to answer your questions:

The entire rod is varnished, and the yellowish cast is aged varnish. In other portions where a wrap is partially missing, it is much whiter.

I don't have a WM panfish rod, but do have a 7' WM 'Daisy' nylaglas spinning rod with the Tennessee handle and completely square blank. The spinning rod is heavy butt, limber tip, and faster in comparison, much like you describe. The Phantom fly rod is somewhat limber throughout, and reminds me more of a slow bamboo rod more than the nylaglas. I also have a solid round fiberglass actionglas rod, and the action is similar to the Phantom.

I've uploaded a picture of the transition from square to round. The transition is a couple of feet or so from the butt end. The latter half of the butt and the entire tip are round.

The ferrules don't attract a magnet, so I assume they are aluminum, at least they look like it to me.

The guide feet are not continuously wrapped, but each end is wrapped seperately. The ferrules are also wrapped, but not on the ferrule themselves.

I've attached a picture of the grip - its made with what I have always thought was a cheaper grade of cork, cut with the grain - its so dirty though, its hard to tell, and I might be mistaken on that. The shape reminds me a bit of the older Heddon grip, but much skinnier near the reel seat,

The reel seat is also aluminum, anodized green barrel with what appears to be gold for the reel seat hoods and locking nut - sorry, I am colorblind and green isn't my strong suit.

Joe

Post 09 Nov 2021, 05:44 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you so much for the additional photos, and description. I believe the Daisy is the spin version of the PF series and probably uses the same blank and ferrules. I find it very interesting that the Phantom rod's butt section tapers to a ground round tapered blank below the ferrule. Beginning the taper in the butt section means the rod flexes deeper into the blank, and as you note, makes the action slower with improved, smoother casting.

The grip is interesting, it is made of one-inch cork rings, and the cork is cut across grain (equivalent to cross-grain in woodworking). Traditionally, this was known as Mustard Cork, and this was common in less expensive bamboo rods and early glass rods. The grip shape is what I would call an elongated half-wells. The cork on the PF7 is also this mustard cork, but the shape is that of a Ritz grip. The reel seats of both rods are almost identical. They also share very similar stripping guides.

Thank you, I will try to add some pictures of my PF7, if I can find them, so everyone can see the contrasts for themselves.

John

Post 09 Nov 2021, 13:50 • #5 
Sport
John-

Looking forward to seeing your pictures. Mustard cork is new to me, do you know the origin of the term? Searching online gives, as you would expect, mustard-colored cork.

Joe

Post 10 Nov 2021, 16:00 • #6 
Administrator
Try searching for "mustad-cut" cork instead. This style of cork ring doesn't show up anymore. The "specie-cut" rings are longer lasting anyway.

Tom

Post 11 Nov 2021, 10:25 • #7 
Sport
Tom-

'Mustad' makes more sense, but even with that change not much with a google search. Was the cork cut that way so that they could use cheaper grades?

Joe

Post 11 Nov 2021, 11:56 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
That's a typo - I think Tom meant "mustard-cut." Mustad is a manufacturer of fly tying hooks.

Anyway, here are some photos of my Wright & McGill PF7; I rebuilt this rod so it could be fished with more guides, and a ceramic stripper. At the time, clown wrap was scarce, so I individually wrapped each color of ncp nylon thread. I'll never do that again :eek.

The decals are reproductions, the originals peeled off the rod after several seasons.

Post 11 Nov 2021, 12:04 • #9 
Sport
That's awesome, thank you.

I couldn't imagine wrapping those bands individually without going mad. I did manage to find a spool of silk Gudebrod that matches mine, and pretty sure that's what I am going to use.

I think I'm going to remove the yellowed varnish overcoat, except for over the decal/writing.

Joe

Post 11 Nov 2021, 16:41 • #10 
Administrator
archfly wrote:
That's a typo - I think Tom meant "mustard-cut." Mustad is a manufacturer of fly tying hooks.

Yes. No. Huh?!

I looked through a few rod building books. Some mentioned "specie-cut" cork rings. Only Dale Clemens refers to mustad/mustard cut cork rings. Unlike most rod building authors, Clemens also ran a rod component company. He should have known the proper term. Clemens refers to "Mustad cork" in his Fiberglass Rod Making book (page 35, hardcover printed 1975). But in his later The New Advanced Custom Rodbuilding (page 77) Clemens refers to "mustard" cork rings. So I dug out a second copy of Clemens' Fiberglass Rod Making (page 35, softcover printed 1983). In this later edition Clemens uses the term "mustard-cut". Two out of three references go to mustard!

Let's go with mustard-cut.

For what it is worth, nearly every rod building book had a variation of the same lament (I'm quoting Clemens here), "The quality of available cork has deteriorated in recent years, and the price has risen substantially."

Tom

Post 11 Nov 2021, 18:04 • #11 
Sport
Doing a search, found the following:

McClane (McClane's Secrets of Successful Fishing) - mustard cork

Pfeiffer (Complete Book of Rod Building and Tackle Making) - mustard cork

No definition however, just that it's cut parallel and less durable

Post 12 Nov 2021, 12:30 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
maybe the mustard cork is a reference to the color/texture ?
I never knew what they meant by 'specie' cork rings, now I know. ;-) Thanks all for discussion, interesting.

used clown wrap on one of the iterations of my glass spin rod, together with those red/white early Fuji ceramic guides. It was a bit of a carnival sideshow in terms of color then..
Now plain Fenwick brown wraps with no trim. But the guides are second-gen Fujis, with green glow-in-the-dark shock rings. Still entertaining then, ha.

Post 12 Nov 2021, 13:56 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Where is a woodworker and historian when we need one? I think in those times, the cork harvest yielded some bark that could be more efficiently used if cut in this way. Various changes in the industry, including both failed and successful cultivation/management efforts, resulted in bark better used as cut now for rings. Upscaling the market for cork, and the demand for it in fishing tackle, also had an effect. Details? I know I left them out, which is why I am hoping for someone who has recently read or wants to read all about the cork industry, production methods, and processes. I think the full answer is available, but not in common rod-building sources as demand and production redeveloped in the post war boom. I think I even read about it once, but, well . . . .

I kind of like it, as on this South Bend knockabout, which I will never use enough to have durability be an issue.

New Topic Add Reply