It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:31

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Oct 2021, 15:44 • #1 
Guide
Here are some more photos and info to add to what is already on the forum about this rod.
It is always helpful to search the forum for pictures and info about a particular rod.
I got the rod because it is one of the model series that Shakespeare made that did not have a white blank. What is the name of the grip style with this shape? Also really interested in what line weight range it might have 4-5-6wt and what line works the best?
It would be helpful if anyone has any fishing time with it, what line weight did you use, and do you like the rod ect? Please correct or add to whatever info is provided here.

Shakespeare Wonderod 1250 FEM (1956), Howard Process, 8ft 6in, 4.6oz, 8 guides + tip, hook keeper, green wraps with yellow trim, green anodized reel seat and ferrules, Color= copper-brown in 1956 catalog

Post 25 Oct 2021, 16:58 • #2 
Master Guide
A pretty nice rod-----I would guess the line around a 7 wt DT.---possibly a 6 wt WF. A lot of what line to use depends on your casting style (in my case lack there of)----I have some rods that I think are a solid 6 wt and other folks say they a 5 wt or 7 wt. Also how far you normally cast (in my case 30 to 40 ft.) I think the handle is a reverse half well----Other folks will know better than I.
Gary

Post 26 Oct 2021, 19:26 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I’d call that a cigar grip.

Post 30 Jun 2023, 08:22 • #4 
I have had this identical rod for several years. Yesterday I had 3 reels spooled with 6, 7, and 8 WF line ready to try. I started with 7 WF and it was OK. I went to the 6 WF and the improved castability was amazing. No need to even try the 8 WF. I tried a dumbeye bugger, then a lighter triangle bug and both casted with range. Tight lines!

Post 24 Jul 2023, 20:34 • #5 
Well definitely not a traditional reverse half wells, that would be narrowly tapered toward the check ring, and again to a lesser degree toward the reel seat, but then flared out just before it. I would agree that a modified cigar would be a more appropriate name. But to muddy it up, I have a 9 ft custom made 6 wt bamboo rod from the '70s. I bought it from the builder and the grip is identical. I thought it was odd and I asked him about it. he said he thought he remembered it advertised as a torpedo grip.

Post 27 Jul 2023, 17:54 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
What a beautiful rod. I have a similar 7'9" rod, but it is pretty beat up.

As for lines, I would go out to the back yard or park and give it a try with a 7 or 8 weight line. And don't be afraid about going heavier.

I don't know of any 1950s Shakespeare
8'6" rods less than a 7 wt, but you can always try.

New Topic Add Reply