It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:56

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Oct 2021, 03:11 • #1 
Guide
Hi,
Loving this forum and learning lots but wondered what the level of interest is on uk vintage tackle? (I guess that’s a broad question, sorry) This was just a thought prior to telling about my latest acquisition- an 8.5 ft vintage fly rod that appears to be built on another Fibatube blank. I bought the rod as an East Anglian Rods Company rod on account of the bag that has their label. The rod has no obvious identification on the blank but then when cleaning it up I noticed that the butt cap had the Edgar Sealey twin fish logo. A while back I had posted about Edgar Sealey rods and a forum member , Pampas Pete had asked about Sealey branded rods built on Fibatube blanks . Well now I seem to have found one, possibly.
I will post pics of the rod to follow . The blank is identical to the 8.5 ft Colonsay rod I have though the whipping is different. I know there seemed to be quite a bit of ‘cross breeding’ among uk manufacturers in terms of components and brandings used etc Any info or thoughts ?

Post 07 Nov 2021, 15:33 • #2 
Guide
Thanks for showing that rod. My understanding is that there is quite a bit of interest in British fly reels, hence a lot of information, but little interest in or knowledge about vintage fiberglass fly rods from the UK.

Living in South America, practically any vintage tackle I buy must be imported from somewhere. I’ve had good experiences buying reels over eBay from the UK, but am just as interested in what rods may be available. About 3 years ago I did buy a Sharpes Farlow rod that was reportedly built on a Phillipson blank. It seems like was a 9-footer for a 6-weight. However, the rod never did get to me due to a mix-up in shipping and custom, but the money was refunded with no hard feelings.

To me it would be quite interesting to know how many British rod makers rolled their own blanks or who else may have done that for them. About the only maker we see much about is Hardy, but there are a lot of other names out there. For example, it is known that early on Fisher made blanks that were used by Hardy, but were they also used by other British firms?

Even though I am not personally interested in very long rods, many American anglers do desire long switch/spey rods, which are apparently available in the British market. I feel that some very nice things must have gone on regarding fiberglass fly rod building in the UK, but little is known about it.

Post 17 Nov 2021, 05:59 • #3 
Guide
Hi Pete,
Thanks for your reply. I agree with what you say regarding UK tackle. I also have come across a few tales of rod manufacturing and the companies involved in UK post war. Sadly mostly all now gone. There is interest in some forums and blog spaces but it seems limited. I enjoy collecting and finding out about UK tackle manufacturing and am in awe of some of the US manufacturers and don’t doubt the high esteem they are obviously held in.
The rod above is interesting if potentially confusing in that it is a Fibatube blank , with an Edgar Sealey real seat an butt and came in an East Anglian Rods bag! Obviously this could be down to individual tackle tinkering but there are common elements relating to time of manufacturing and location etc. Was there never S.A. manufacturers?
It all interests me an I will I’m sure continue to enjoy finding out about and acquiring vintage tackle as well as ensuring it still gets fished with also!

New Topic Add Reply