It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:05

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Oct 2021, 18:26 • #1 
Master Guide
Just found this one about 10 miles from my house. 8’1, 6w, SN A2117 with matched reel. I think that means this was about the 2000th System rod made in the first year of production? I think I've read 1970. Didn’t give much for it.

Love the story behind this one. From a fuzzy photo on CL of a bunch of rods, I thought I saw what may be an early Sci Angler (from seeing them on this site). Met the guy in a local parking lot. Turns out he was a teacher at a Jr. High near where I grew up in the burbs of Portland and we knew some common families…he said he bought this set from a local store (during the same time and where I use to get groceries and various items with my mother) in 1969 or so. He said he remembered paying $185 (for rod, reel and line). Seems a little high for this set at the time, but Idk. He said he doesn’t remember it coming with a sock or tube. Said he only used it four times on the Crooked River for trout. Been sitting in his garage (unprotected) ever since. Came with the original WF6 line, that I discarded.

It cleaned up pretty well and the only issues are some missing finish (Spar?) on two of the guide wraps and much of the labeling is worn away. I'm assuming the ink transfer on these is fairly easily rubbed off. The reel is smooth and functions perfectly.

It's my first Fisher taper and is a joy to cast with a DT5 and WF6.

Question: I'm not a rebuilder. There are several wraps that the finish has partly chipped off and some that show some signs of being dried out and/or cracking, though the wraps all seem to be in place. Should I touch these areas up, and if so, what with? If it needs a complete strip and rewrap, I'll pass it on. Tried to show some photos of these areas.

Sandman

Post 24 Oct 2021, 19:54 • #2 
Administrator
Short term quicky fix, coat the wraps with clear Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails. The wraps won't look pretty, but they won't fall off the rod either. You can probably fish the rod a season or three with nail polish on the wraps.

Long term, the guides need to be rewrapped (see jeffroey's recent System 5 rebuild post). Perhaps you can work out a trade with a rod builder to rewrap the rod for you.

Tom

Post 25 Oct 2021, 06:55 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Put a DT6 on that and you will like it even better. That rod would be worth some hobby practice before rewrapping yourself. Or paying for a rewrap. You will have to search a long time to find a better 6-weight 'glass rod, "vintage" or "modern."

Post 26 Oct 2021, 21:36 • #4 
Master Guide
Thanks guys, for the advice....I will definitely try it with a DT6 (after it stops pouring here).

I'll just dab in the missing areas of whatever they used over the wraps with nail polish. There are only two wraps and one ferrule end wrap that are affected. All other wraps still look good (no cracking). I'll let the next guy do any major work to it. Speaking of major work, that was a phenomenal rebuild jeffroey did. I may get into rewrapping/rebuilding when I retire. I'll stick to hunting for fishable sticks for now.

Sandman

New Topic Add Reply