It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:32

New Topic Add Reply
Orvis Powerflex 7’6”
Post 22 Oct 2021, 23:22 • #1 
Master Guide
Just found this one. Orvis Powerflex, 7’6”. I love it when I find nice vintage glass with little use and It comes with some history…The guy I got it from told me he got from a guy who won it in a raffle in the late sixties. He said he never used it because he was a baitcaster.

It’s in excellent condition. No marks on the blank or reel seat whatsoever. Does have very slight cork soiling from handling or fishing a bit. Came with non-original sock and tube, though quite well fitting. This is the second version of this rod which is listed at 1/4 oz lighter than the first version and only produced for one year, per the Wiki here.

It threw a WF6 flawlessly. A slow rod (just slightly slower than the Fly Fox FF76 shown below). A dream to cast. So smooth and plenty of power too.

While it seems to be nearly a twin in every respect to the FF76, it has two more guides and a metal ferrule…

Can’t wait to feel 3-4lb smallies on the Columbia on this rod.

Sandman

Post 23 Oct 2021, 08:13 • #2 
Piscator
Great find - can't say I'm surprised, will always rate you as the #1 rod hunter/finder on FFR.
It's going to date a few years before the Fly Fox, which was the bargain-basement Phillipson.
On paper, your rod is going to match a Phillipson Master, i.e., LL Bean Double L Featherweight.

Post 23 Oct 2021, 15:47 • #3 
Master Guide
Thanks Ron, for the Phillipson comparison model equivalency. That is good to know and makes sense regarding the extra guides. Honestly, in casting the two, I couldn’t tell the difference between the two, extra guides, metal ferrule and all. Both are really nice tapers to cast.

Sandman

Post 23 Oct 2021, 22:25 • #4 
Guide
Amazing find! Congrats!

Post 24 Oct 2021, 01:43 • #5 
Guide
Always nice to see good gear come into the hands of someone who appreciates it. Well done Sandman. Cheers

New Topic Add Reply