It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:33

New Topic Add Reply
Moving rod display
Post 14 Oct 2021, 17:54 • #1 
Master Guide
Well, it wasnt much of a rod display. Just a garbage can that wasnt big enough to hold them all.

Moving to a new home about 15 minute drive from current house. The rest of my rods dont have tubes so i will have to be more careful moving those. I have some ceiling rod holders i might install for those at the new house. The tubes will go in a closet.

Unfortunately my new back yard will be more limited to short range lawn casting.

Mike

Re: Moving rod display
Post 14 Oct 2021, 18:16 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
When I used to set up at fishing shows I would carry tubes in old sleeping bags.

Post 15 Oct 2021, 06:32 • #3 
Sport
WOW.., you got it bad.., real bad.

Post 15 Oct 2021, 09:06 • #4 
Guide
Now that looks like a nice starter set...congratulations.
Carl

Post 15 Oct 2021, 11:16 • #5 
Guide
Heck, I don't think I have that many pencils and pens in the house......haha

Post 15 Oct 2021, 11:44 • #6 
Guide
Mine looks about the same . 72 so far .

Post 17 Oct 2021, 16:23 • #7 
Master Guide
I have 6 nice wood ceiling racks that i will have to install that will hold 48 rods. Used a gun case to transport my tubeless 8’ and under rods. Best idea ive come up with in a while i think.

Post 17 Oct 2021, 19:28 • #8 
Administrator
To me, that looks like a gun case ready to eat a wayward rod tip. If the rods were placed below the lip of the case they may be safer. For instance take out the bottom foam and replace with a thin piece and a second piece to go over the rods. As they are now, if a rod tip rolls off the top of the pile while closing the case - crunch.

Tom

Post 18 Oct 2021, 14:40 • #9 
Guide
Very impressed fishhuntmike. I would love to look at each rod on its own. I bet there are some gems in the triangular cases in the back of your car :-). Thanks for sharing, nice to see that I'm not the only one with "issues." Cheers

Post 18 Oct 2021, 16:49 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Needed is a travel case in extra-large just for the Phillipson Masters :lol

Post 19 Oct 2021, 05:33 • #11 
Piscator
fishhuntmike wrote:
I have 6 nice wood ceiling racks that i will have to install that will hold 48 rods. Used a gun case to transport my tubeless 8’ and under rods. Best idea ive come up with in a while i think.

now we're talking.
keep 'em distracted with the fodder while you sneak out the good stuff

Post 19 Oct 2021, 06:15 • #12 
Guide
Wow!!! I have to ask: if you have 48 or 72 (and i think i read somebody has 100 or more rods) or really any number more than a half dozen or so.....do you fish them all? How do you decide which to fish? Or are they more like baseball cards -- collect 'em, admire 'em, maybe sell 'em, maybe leave 'em for heirs to deal with. This thread jumpstarted my own already developing question how to fish my pathetically limited dozen or so vintage rods. I have some FF79's, a couple 1280T Wonderods, FF75, 755, 756 and 786 -- and in a real general sense i see them all as sorta interchangeable. (I have imposed a little bit of limitation on numbers by insisting that each one has its own "case," although in some cases the cases are cardboard or pvc tubes.) I feel like somebody with 10 dogs and having to decide which one or two to walk each day. If i had 50 dogs to walk ... OMG!!! Now, all that said, i continue to look at Fenwick and Wonderod listings more or less every day.

Post 19 Oct 2021, 10:47 • #13 
Master Guide
I have or at least had a bad case of the fryroditis virus that i have successfully recovered from. I just retired and now im on a budget. The biggest hurdle I have overcome that plagued me for most of my life was I always felt like I had to buy “new”.
For fly rods i couldnt afford name brands like Sage, Orvis , Loomis, Winston and others. In fact I could barely afford the rod blanks. Back in the early 80s I built my first Sage rod. I eventually built a couple dozen fly rods. Of the brands I mentioned I have only purchased 1 new complete rod. Fast forward to the last 5 years I finally abandoned the self imposed restriction of buying new and i have completely become fascinated with older used rods for my fishing tools. With the well known auction site and this forum i got hooked. Buying a $75 or $150 dollar rod was just a click away, whereas buying a $300 or $800 dollar rod was absolutely out of the question (at least in my mind).

Bottom line is I absolutely love fishing and casting glass rods. I probably have about 1 dozen i would never sell. The rest i am not in desperate enough circumstances to sell.
I have definitely not fished even half of them, however i have done extensive casting of all of them in the back yard. In fact I cast fly rods almost every day. I am not trying to practice, but just relax and marvel at the feeling, meditative effects, nostalgia, a physics of the experience.

I do have a difficult time deciding which rod to use when i go fishing. I will often test cast a half dozen rods just to decide which ones I take. I like to make the trip just as much about the rod as the place and fish. I try to savor the whole experience and that might also include a shore lunch to put icing on the “cake”.

As far as “the good stuff” I made a self imposed rule to not play with bamboo as my addiction to fiberglass was costly enough. I only own an old Norwegian spey rod and a deep sea trolling rod in bamboo. My favorite fiberglass rods are hidden in the rod tubes in the picture i first posted.

Thanks for all the comments and opinions!

Post 19 Oct 2021, 11:11 • #14 
Piscator
The biggest problem I can think of picking a rod is having a System 5 - my few really great rods are too often ignored.

Like wthorpe, I understand the drive to keep rods protected. Every one of my rods has ended up in a tube and I've bought many rod socks from ebay and etsy vendors.

I also understand the desire to get it before you retire - that's where I'm at with baitcasters currently.

Post 19 Oct 2021, 23:16 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
fishhuntmike,

I'm glad you recovered. There may be hope for me.

Post 20 Oct 2021, 17:22 • #16 
Guide
wthorpe ,
In my case it's a building thing and I never want to get rid of them . Of all the rods I have only 10-15 are store bought and they are last years top dollar rods when I do buy .
My wife has instructions to donate them to Wounded Warriors , Casting for Recovery etc .

New Topic Add Reply