It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:53

New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Oct 2021, 19:51 • #1 
Master Guide
Picked this very interesting rod up off of the auction site. It is in SUPERB like new condition and I can't wait to get it out on the water. Not that I need another 7 WT but this was too good to pass up. It is my first Phillipson and if this baby fishes as well as it looks ... It seems to be a very stiff rod and the ferrules are not fitting together well, I guess just use regular ferrule wax to get them to seat? I'm gonna try a Martin MG-10 with a 406 DT 7WT line, thoughts about that combo?

I'll post a full report once I get to fish it.

Last edited by Cyguy on 13 Oct 2021, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 Oct 2021, 19:58 • #2 
Master Guide
Very Nice! Enjoy that phillipson!

Post 14 Oct 2021, 01:01 • #3 
Administrator
Cyguy, before you mess with the ferrules, make sure they are squeaky clean! This makes a huge difference. See this earlier post of mine where I show how to clean ferrules, using a Phillipson built Orvis rod as a model.

Don't grease/oil/wax or otherwise treat them until you have assessed them after cleaning. The rest of the rod looks too good to have worn out ferrules. If the ferrules really are loose, a light wipe with beeswax can help. If they are really bad, Rick's Rods in Denver owns the old Phillipson stock, including ferrules.

Tom

Post 14 Oct 2021, 04:28 • #4 
Master Guide
Thanks Tom! Will do, the ferrules are tight they only seat about the top 1-3rd so no issues with them being loose! I’ll give them a good cleaning and follow your instructions to the “T”.

Post 14 Oct 2021, 08:08 • #5 
Piscator
I'm thinking you have a very narrow production window on that rod - I'd estimate 1960 to '62.
The Pacemaker name belonged to his cane rod line in the '50s.
It's a painted blank, and I would also guess it's one of the very first Scotchply rods.

Post 14 Oct 2021, 16:08 • #6 
Master Guide
Thanks Bulldog,
I was hoping you would weigh in! I see it mentioned in the 1967 Catalog at least in terms of Pacemaker fiberglass and PF80 nomenclature which is one of the two Pacemaker models I found in the catalog? Of course it may be an older version. The blank is really firm and solid compared to my ECs and even Fenwick 807 and feels more like glass than fiberglass if that makes sense. Anybody have opinions on marrying it up with the MG-10 ? It seems to balance the Pacemaker well and no issues with seating the reel.

Post 14 Oct 2021, 16:26 • #7 
Piscator
I suspect you're right - post-'64 would make sense, as well, and in which case, it's definitely Scotchply.

Post 07 Nov 2021, 20:53 • #8 
Master Guide
Tom,
Great advice on cleaning the ferrules, couple of swipes with the isopropyl alcohol and they seat great, I’ll be fishing it tomorrow for first time.

Update: Had it out on the water for a short time and now I understand all of the hype on the Philipsons! Effortless casts to 50’ and did a great job launching game changers into the wind. The fact that the most budget/cheapest Phillipson casts lie this … I can only imagine what a pleasure the “high end” models are!

Post 08 Nov 2021, 12:25 • #9 
Administrator
Give the ferrules another cleaning when you get a chance. Fishing the rod will loosen some more dirt for an outing or two.

Phillipson rods are consistent across the range of models. The higher grade rods had additional guides, better cork, fancier wraps, and a bit more QC through the process. In other words, don't expect the different grades to fish vastly better. When a new rod design was developed, the higher grade models received it first, but eventually the Master rods had the same basic design.

However, the better grade rods came with factory rod bags and aluminum tubes. Often they are in better overall shape when you find them. I think the better grade rods were often treated better from the start.

Tom

Post 08 Nov 2021, 17:25 • #10 
Master Guide
Tom,
Great insight, thanks.

New Topic Add Reply