It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:42

New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Sep 2021, 15:00 • #1 
Guide
I have previously posted regarding the Colonsay Fly fly rods that were supplied and possibly built by Foreshaw’s of Liverpool in the late 60’s early 70’s. The rods are built on Hardy Fibatube blanks and the fact that I have been a regular visitor to the Island of Colonsay’s trout Lochs and that my GGGF was born on the island 200 years ago fired my desire to obtain some of these old rods. Through careful observation I have now acquired 3 of these rods at 8 ft, 8.5 ft (both 6 weights) and most recently a 9ft , 7 weight. They are all a delight to fish and I have obtained decent useable examples . Having recently had to cancel trips due to Covid, I eventually got the chance to take the 8 and 8.5 ft versions out to Colonsay earlier this month for a few days. Neither rod disappointed and the late season fishing was excellent with the wild Brownies in aggressive mood when attacking flies and lures. I have attached some pics of these special rods catching fish in the special place from where they derive their name. The 9ft version required a little bit of work as the bottom two guides were broken and the ferrule was slack. I replaced the broken guides with modern stripper guides and Re whipped the ferrule and now have a very nice functional 9ft , 7 weight fibatube rod that has been difficult to put down ! The second picture is of the 9ft version on one of my local waters. The others are from the Colonsay trip

Post 28 Sep 2021, 19:07 • #2 
Guide
Nice story attached to this report. Were the fish all taken on wets?

Post 29 Sep 2021, 12:56 • #3 
Guide
Thank you. Yes, all on wets - Ke he mini Muddler, Green/ yellow lure, blue/ black Loch Ordie, Bibio

Post 05 Oct 2021, 04:31 • #4 
Master Guide
Beautiful photos and fish!!!!! Thanks for posting.

Post 05 Oct 2021, 13:01 • #5 
Sport
Nice rods! Thanks for sharing the history and personal connection behind them. It's always an added bonus when the work put into acquiring a rod is rewarded with success on the river.

Post 19 Oct 2021, 16:10 • #6 
Hi Argyll trout fisher, I've got 2 forshaw of Liverpool rods. A9'#6 and a 9'#6/7. The livery is exactly the same. Nice rods.

Post 25 Oct 2021, 10:46 • #7 
Guide
Thanks Fortyplus, they are nice rods. Where did you acquire yours? I have recently picked up the 9ft Colonsay fly and after a little bit of remedial work it’s a cracker also. I have tried to post a screenshot of the Foreshaws of Liverpool catalogue from the early 70’s and although it’s hard to make out clearly the Colonsay range are listed.

Post 31 Oct 2021, 09:05 • #8 
Hi Argyll fly fisher. I got mine from the ubiquitous auction site. Both needed refurbished ( yellowing/ cracked varnish etc) but they cost sweeties and were sound underneath. They are very mellow. Happy hunting.

Post 01 Nov 2021, 01:59 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Nice - must be quite similar to the analogous hardy rods which are also great rods - in those lengths and weights.

New Topic Add Reply