It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:43

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Sep 2021, 20:26 • #1 
Hey all!
I need some help with info on this rod,I pick this beauty up at a yard sale for $2!
I’ve searched for a couple days now and with how much you all know about phillipson’s I figured this would be my best bet.
I’m new to collecting and newish to fly fishing in general.
It would be awesome if I could find out what line wt to use with this as well as some classic reels that would work with this rod to get her up and working!
Thank you

Post 20 Sep 2021, 20:59 • #2 
Guide
Welcome...sounds like a real score!

Not sure how long the rod is, or much else about it..but I just got a 7'8" Silaflex that throws a "heavy" 5 wt floating..or 6 wt will work.

maybe tell us a bit more about it, so we can be of more help.

Last edited by Phil-a-Flex on 20 Sep 2021, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post 20 Sep 2021, 20:59 • #3 
Piscator
This is the first Phillipson to use Scotchply - directional fiber reinforcement, and the beginning of the best Phillipson rods.
We can't tell you much more without knowing the rod length.

Post 20 Sep 2021, 21:59 • #4 
I believe It’s a 7’ rod, if I was reading some of the other posts on here right it’s an eponite fiberglass? Did the pictures post on here?

[Photos added. Please follow all the steps for adding photos. You didn't do Step 3. Tom]

Post 20 Sep 2021, 22:02 • #5 
Piscator
Eponite is a process of pressure-injecting and heat-curing the resin.
Scotchply fiber was first used in the Johnson Profile series.
I hope this thing is on.

7' spinning rod, Phillipson patent seat.
It shows a lot of use and a lot of finish wear.
It would be fun to fish

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 21 Sep 2021, 11:05, edited 2 times in total.

Post 20 Sep 2021, 22:15 • #6 
Thank you! Ive spent hours trying to find out what you just told me!
Would you have any idea what year/ what this rod might be worth?

Post 20 Sep 2021, 23:56 • #7 
Administrator
Cnolan wrote:
I believe It’s a 7’ rod, if I was reading some of the other posts on here right it’s an eponite fiberglass? Did the pictures post on here?

Welcome to the forum! Nice find for $2!

You should check out our Fiberglass Rod Wiki, particularly the page about Phillipson. According to the last of the Johnson Rod catalogs, there were four Profile 400 fly rods. They ranged from 7'6" to 8'6".

However, you have a spinning rod. The model number is 4S701L which means; 4 = a Series 400 rod, S = spinning rod, 70 = 7 feet long, 1L = light action. The reelseat is a classic Phillipson model. Your rod was designed for lures of a 1/4 oz or less. This rod is lucky. The very light weight spinning rods of the late 50s and early 60s did not have high survival rates.

To answer your questions:
  • As shown on your rod, the blank is an Eponite blank. This material makes an excellent fishing rod.
  • No, the photos did not come through - but I fixed that for you (I added them to your earlier post).
  • Your rod dates to 1962-1964.
  • Your the rod is worth about $40-75, depending on the current market. The rod tip is intact and the wraps and reelseat are original. The reelseat can be positioned anywhere along the cork grip to give a comfortable setup. The condition is pretty good for a 60 year old rod.
  • A classic reel to go with this rod would be a Mitchell 308 or 318.

Tom

Post 21 Sep 2021, 10:55 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
If I might tack a couple of questions on here, because I've just been confused; all my reading up to now gave me the notion that "Eponite" was the material used (or Phillipson's name for the particular resin/fiber/cloth combination), now it is said to be the process rather than the material.
I've also noticed that in the Johnson line the 600 and 800 rods "were made from Scotchply" per the WIKI and the 400 rods were "made on Eponite blanks". - this too I have in the past understood to designate "Eponite" as a material.
So, were all the later Phillipson rods also made using the "eponite process" and just not labeled that way or did Scotchply require a different process?
ls "Epoxite" the material or a new process?

Post 21 Sep 2021, 11:04 • #9 
Piscator
Epoxite is a resin, eponite is an earlier process (that was also used on epoxite blanks). Scotchply is an anisotropic fiber reinforcement - more fiber in the long direction.
Really simple, and answered over and over.
You're probably correct about Series 600 and 800 made with Scotchply, and Series 400 not.
The rods that interest me were made when Bill recovered the company from Johnson.
Everything earlier was a learning curve. Everything later was 3M working essentially separate from Bill.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 21 Sep 2021, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 Sep 2021, 14:04 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks, Ron. I guess I haven't seen all those answers/explanations about the eponite process. I had also read somewhere that Scotchply available in the '50s was the combination of the cloth and epoxy resin, but that was not in rod building so I guess it may depend on the usage.
I'll reread the previous "Eponite" postings with this "process, not material" in mind and maybe see them in a different perspective.
Would the G-MF rods be in the time frame between Johnson and 3M?

Post 22 Sep 2021, 14:17 • #11 
Piscator
way cool.

Yes, the Master, Royal, etc. series exactly fit.
The last in that series is the E80 Expert I showed, and it never made a catalog.

Post 22 Sep 2021, 14:27 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Would the eponite process have been used with the Scotchply materials or does that call for a different process?
Although I've been fishing with 'glass rods more than 60 years, I never gave a lot of thought to what makes them special until recently. The history is really more fascinating than the rods.

Post 22 Sep 2021, 14:54 • #13 
Piscator
Once Bill developed the epoxite process, he continued it on every following rod.
In the 50s, it was market differentiation, and marked on the rods.
Scotchply took over as the next innovation that was worth marking on a rod, and you see it on Johnson and post-'64 Phillipson rods.
Sometime around '66, he began using linear glass fibers - Uniglass, and Epoxite resin in 1971.
J&J specifically state "Epoxite blanks used the Eponite process perfected earlier."

I prefer the faster tapers of the rods before Epoxite - the later rods were a little goosey for me.

New Topic Add Reply