It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:29

New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Sep 2021, 17:03 • #1 
Guide
Hi everyone.
I am very familiar with the Sage SFL580 (own it). But wondering if anyone could let me know the market value of a SFL990 and SFL1290? I have no idea?
Thanks!
Jason

Post 11 Sep 2021, 19:30 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Seems like a factory build on any of the Sages always go for at least $200. More for the 4 and 5wts.

Post 11 Sep 2021, 21:01 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
You might want to look around and see if you can find the older Sage graphite RPLX rods.They werent too bad as they were just starting to make stiffer graphite rods.I had an RPLX Graphite 3 7 wt. four piece and with an 8 wt. line on it was a fairly pleasant rod to use.It would also throw a lot of line.

Post 12 Sep 2021, 11:07 • #4 
Guide
I have 2 RPLX Graphite III rods..990 &1190-3. The Sage 890-4 RPL+, which my wife owns, is a great rod.

Have never fished the 11 wt, having loaned it out to tarpon, dorado and tuna fishing friends, but they cast well and are probably equivalent to a line weight down (8, 10) in more modern rods in performance.

I would think most Sage Graphite III's....RPL, RPL+, RPLX..would go for $200-300 on the used market, with LL's being something of cult rods, often going for more.

Cannot recall seeing any Sage fiberglass, but am intrigued by the possibility of running into one...lighter, hopefully, some day.

Sage rod designer Jerry Siem designed rods for Fenwick before they went offshore..I talked to him at a trade show on the casting apron and he said he built the Winston glass rods with the white spigot ferrules, so he has more than a passing familiarity and respect for fiberglass rods.

Post 13 Sep 2021, 18:21 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Sage LL rods seem to go for at least their original price.I saw a lightline blank go for b$250.00US a couple of years ago.Back in the 80s they went for about $140.00 CAN.

Post 14 Sep 2021, 05:47 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
The market is insane. Just look at the asking prices for anything here on the forum. Given that, if you are buying I wouldn't offer much for 9wt and 12wt glass rods. There aren't a lot of folks looking for a 9wt or 12 glass fly rod.

Post 14 Sep 2021, 07:29 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Any used rod is worth what someone will pay. There just isn't a lot of demand for heavy weight vintage glass rods. Even to get the $200 brockton mentions, you would need to find the right buyer.

If they are the not SFLxxxB (custom built on sage blank) they hold some value, But the custom built rods go for even less.

If you have a use for it, go for it, but I would prefer an early graphite sage (RP, RPL) to the SFL in 9 and 12 wt. Though the SFL 12 weight would probably be really nice for fighting big fish.

Post 14 Sep 2021, 08:20 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
For a low demand item like this, ask yourself what you would pay. Someone else's asking price has nothing to do with market value of such a low production, low resale volume item. The reason for the "asking" price is that no one "answered" by buying. A market price--meaning someone really intends to sell--would be much lower. If you want to try a 'glass heavyweight, those are good ones that might present a great buying opportunity at your price. If you own them and want to sell, ask yourself why, and what you would pay, not what one once sold for years ago or recently, and not what it might sell for in the future. To market something to sell, a realistic price is needed. A speculative price might sell and might not, but market prices, even in volume items, center on a realistic price in the long run.

Post 14 Sep 2021, 10:25 • #9 
Guide
There's a 1290 SFL?!

I love the SFL series but in those weights they would be brutal to sling. I have an 1190-3 RPLX and it's more than heavy enough. It's a lot of rod, actually. I last about 3-4 hours with it before I need a break.

Post 14 Sep 2021, 20:57 • #10 
Guide
"There's a 1290 SFL?!" - yes, and I had access to three of them. But based on everyone's feedback, sounds like it would not be worth the purchase.

Post 15 Sep 2021, 05:55 • #11 
Guide
I had the Factory 990 SFL in excellent shape. Bought it for 200 and sold it for about as much. I considered it for striped bass or steelhead on the west coast but felt very niche. Balanced with a 9-10 oz reel pretty well. If you knew you were going to keep it lined in a boat for fun I could see using it, but I just couldn’t see it being a “go-to” rod, especially from shore or for traveling. Beautiful Sage build aesthetics tho. (I have and fish the 5 and 6 SFLs)

Post 01 Oct 2021, 20:20 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
tabornatives wrote:
The market is insane. Just look at the asking prices for anything here on the forum. Given that, if you are buying I wouldn't offer much for 9wt and 12wt glass rods. There aren't a lot of folks looking for a 9wt or 12 glass fly rod.

All it takes is that right person. For example, I fish a lot of heavyweight glass, but none as long as 9'. Probably wouldn't want to go there...

Post 02 Oct 2021, 07:19 • #13 
Piscator
Fisher made a lot of big rods in GT40, 2-pc Natural, and Presidential (blue) - all IM6 - they would likely be a great buy, and enjoyable to fish.
Even my 9-wt Natural feels like a magic wand for right-now accuracy.

I have Sage RPLX7 in Graphite III, and it's harsh enough to shoot, though the single best distance rod I own.
My enjoyable 12-wt is Reddington CPX, pleasant taper and comparatively light in hand.

New Topic Add Reply