It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:51

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Sep 2021, 13:06 • #1 
Guide
I just bought this rod and was pretty excited when I saw the original tube and the original nagahide signature sock. The rod looked unfished and then I noticed that there was not a PG 40 label on it. Cant post pictures but after looking in the archives and google images its definitely a chestnut brown hollow spigot Gowdy. I did some yard casting with a 5 1/2 weight and at longer distance it was really really nice. So I know its a 6/7. My question is what might the rod be worth with the missing label? Another question is what is with that strange little metal bar on the fake plastic walnut reel seat spacer for? I saw a picture in the archives and it looked like the metal bar had engraving on it-mine is just blank. Not sure if I want to keep this rod as is or should I put my finger prints all over it and redo it with more guides and a different handle. Also wondering if the label was just a sticker that could peel off or was it varnished over? Thanks for reading and any advice/comments.

Post 09 Sep 2021, 13:50 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I recall that little bar on the seat, but I don't recall if mine had engraving or not. I don't currently have a Gowdy

Label, some of the others (Parametric Deluxe comes to mind) had dark, faint inked on letters, hard to see. Don't recall what PG had.

They are wonderfully smooth casters. They don't need more guides, but it is your rod and you can do as you wish with it. Enjoy!

Edit: just looked and jogged my old memory, those have a big gaudy label.

Post 11 Sep 2021, 07:16 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I have a number of these rods in different sizes and it has been a while but don't recall anything being on the flat aluminum bar. If you like the rod I would recommend fishing it as is for a while before making any changes. I fish my 8ft 7wt the most of all in the series and would not change a thing on mine.

Post 11 Sep 2021, 14:31 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
The Gowdy series has a little metal strip on the plastic reelseat. It was meant to be engraved to personalize the rod.

Unfortunately, I've bought several that people tried to scratch their names into. Most didn't do a very good job and wondering if some easy way to flip the metal tab over.

Barry

Post 11 Sep 2021, 21:30 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
As far as redoing the rod,it depends what kind of shape it is in.I have a Parametric PD41 that had a few scratches on it and wasnt mint.I changed all the guides,tip top,grip and reelseat to what I like.All I know is that it is one smooth casting 7 wt. rod.If the rod is mint like dont change it.If not,go to it.

Post 12 Sep 2021, 16:00 • #6 
Master Guide
Funny, my PG40-8' has the blackened cork grip and no engraving plate.

Post 13 Sep 2021, 01:48 • #7 
Guide
I will trade you the engraving plate for your Curt Gowdy label !

Post 13 Sep 2021, 02:32 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Digging through my rods and found another Gowdy. I've had quite a few of these over the years and this is the only Gowdy I've ever had that didn't have the metal tab on the reel seat.

Post 13 Sep 2021, 08:16 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
GrassNGlass, that's exactly what my 7'6" Gowdy looks like. I had no idea some came with that strip, that's pretty cool.

New Topic Add Reply