It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:38

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Sep 2021, 16:46 • #1 
I recently picked up this combo spin/fly rod - Montague Colorado Special 2280 Holloglass. It appears someone notched out the cork to accommodate a spin reel…

Does anyone have any information on this particular rod?

Post 08 Sep 2021, 07:30 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Hello, and welcome to the forum. Your rod was made sometime between 1947-48, when Montague started glass rod manufacturing, and 1954, when they sold the fiberglass production to True Temper. "Holloglass" is the name they gave to their rolled, tubular glass rods as opposed to their solid glass productions. During those years, Montague used their bamboo rod configurations and components to make their glass rods. The original Colorado Special was a bamboo rod with a grip 10" long, built-up as a fly rod, and some combination fly/spin were also made. Your rod is a continuation of that tradition in glass.

Holloglass blanks tend to be slow and heavy in the larger sizes, shorter 7' 6" and 8' rods feel a little better. Have you tried casting it?

Post 08 Sep 2021, 08:21 • #3 
Sport
That is a really cool looking rod. I love the logo and the color/texture of the fiberglass.
Best wishes.
Mitch

Post 08 Sep 2021, 08:40 • #4 
Thanks for the info archfly! I'm surprised the rod is that old. I was expecting mid-50's maybe! Very cool. I did cast the rod with a 5 wt WF line, which seemed a bit light.

Post 08 Sep 2021, 09:06 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
The "holloglass" (I can never remember how they spelled it or changed their spelling over the years) and Montague names lasted into TrueTemper ownership, and some rods--I have one purchased new in the early 1960s--didn't have any True Temper identification. But I agree, that's an earlier one, as archly desribes. It may not be so evident to younger anglers, but at this time in the plastics revolution, hollow tubular composites were as innovative and high-tech as it gets, the "next generation" from solid fiberglass rods. So the Montague term had great trade value to True Temper in the same way IM (improved modulus) was a clarion marketing term for graphite rod development.

New Topic Add Reply