It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:04

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Sep 2021, 14:00 • #1 
Guide
I had a couple of great deliveries from the mailman last week. Two beautiful, old rods, in very nice condition. Both are 7-footers. The top one in the pics is a St. Croix 29FF-7OLT, which is a model I had never seen before. It is rated for a 5 or 6 weight line. Reminds me of the 6'8" 7090XXL which gets so much praise around here. The bottom rod is a Heddon Pro Weight, rated for a 5weight line. Can't wait to get both of them out on the water!

Post 03 Sep 2021, 15:37 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Great! Should produce lots of fun.

Post 03 Sep 2021, 15:38 • #3 
Guide
Those are both cool rods, but man, that St. Croix is beautiful. Love the cork reel seat and slide bands on the vintage glass. You will have to let us know how they cast.

Post 05 Sep 2021, 04:22 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Those are some great looking rods. I love old vintage lighter line fly rods.

Post 05 Sep 2021, 09:07 • #5 
Piscator
Great score, those are choice rods in very desirable configuration.

Post 06 Sep 2021, 23:26 • #6 
Guide
I got both the St. Croix and Heddon 7-footers out this weekend on my favorite local bass and panfish lake. Fishing on this lake has been tough this summer, with extremely low water from the drought we were in here in MN. Some recent rains have brought the water level back up, and some fish were caught from shore, both bluegills and bass, but nothing of any size. Finally decided to take a pic of the prettiest 'gill, but it flopped right when I took the pic. Oh well...
Both the rods cast beautifully out to about 50'. I think I liked the feel of the St. Croix a little better than the Heddon, but the Heddon had a little more backbone. The St. Croix felt like it would have liked a 4wt line as well or better than a 5, but I didn't try one on it.

New Topic Add Reply