It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:08

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Sep 2021, 08:16 • #1 
Guide
Hi all! I was wondering what info the forum might have on Dale Clemens' fiberglass blanks he sold under his name. I recently bought a 8.5' 6/7wt blank from a reputable seller who bought a bunch of these blanks all at one time. The blank color and ferrule color makes me think Lamiglas all the way. The base of the rod is SUPER wide, going to fun working out a reel seat. I do not want to add a stent for this rod.

Check out the pics below and any info you can share would be much appreciated!

Post 02 Sep 2021, 09:08 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Hollowspigot?
Certainly looks Lami.

Post 02 Sep 2021, 10:21 • #3 
Piscator
The translucence makes me think of my Vince Cummings Water Witch, which has been attributed to St. Croix.
But you're correct, the color looks more like Lami.
Big geography difference between west coast and midwest, and if you had your location in your profile, we wouldn't be guessing.

Post 02 Sep 2021, 10:27 • #4 
Master Guide
looks just like lamiglas s glass blanks.

Post 02 Sep 2021, 11:54 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Mr. Jesse, I would recommend you send it my way, I will finish it and fish it for a few years and see if I can then determine the maker.

Post 02 Sep 2021, 12:59 • #6 
Guide
Magicwrench - I can put you in contact with the seller, if you PM me. He may have a few more left laying around!

bulldog - I'm located in NJ but the seller was from Wyoming.

Post 02 Sep 2021, 14:34 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I don't know diddly, but had the pleasure of going to Dale's shop way back when and I don't live very far from where it was.

One thing I distinctly remember was gazillions of Lamiglass blanks all over the place.

Post 02 Sep 2021, 16:53 • #8 
Administrator
Lamiglas wasn't the only company that sold spigot ferruled blanks. Although some high volume rod companies went from metal ferrules to tip-over-butt ferrules, skipping spigots altogether (such as US Fiberglass, who made translucent blanks). Scott had their spigot ferrule blanks made by Cal Tackle and those were very finely made. Fisher made spigot ferrule blanks, but nothing translucent. All that said, the rod is very reminiscent of Lamiglas' style.

Ultimately it doesn't matter. When the blanks were designed and produced, Dale Clemens was the source for small and amateur rods builders. He knew his stuff and had a couple of different lines of glass rod blank. Clemens involvement is the important factor. The blank color looks like his State of the Art (SOA) rod blanks. He sold two 8'6" models, a 6 weight with a butt diameter of 0.505 inches and a 7 weight with a butt diameter of 0.520 inches. Perhaps a classic Varmac reelseat with an ID of 0.625" would match nicely.

Tom

Post 03 Sep 2021, 07:56 • #9 
Guide
Tom - that is great info, thank you. I measured the OD of the butt last night and it is .58 (the widest rod butt I have dealt with to this point). Insane.

Bamboozle - the blank just screams Lamiglas to me too. But in my searching I have found it hard to nail down a model number for this particular blank. Any insight?

Ultimately the original manufacturer of the blank is not my concern (although it is cool to know). I am just looking for more info on what the manufacturer (Either Dale Clemens or the actual blank manufacturer) might have posted about the recommended line weight, characteristics, etc etc etc. Searching Dale Clemens on this forum isn't much help because of how many posts we all have made about his books / rod building knowledge.

Also, I've found google searches are not much help with this either. Thanks for all the info so far. What a great place to learn this forum is!

Post 03 Sep 2021, 09:45 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
That's a long way back to find a model number, and if made by Lamiglas, the blank might never have been catalogued as one of their standard offerings.
The butt diameter is not that unusual for a glass rod of the type, and plenty of "standard" all aluminum reel sits will fit it readily. Until wood inserts were "upscaled" by specialty/fine makers in the later years of the fiberglass heyday, alu seats were the norm. Also, not sure why you think the rod is a 6/7. Is that the seller's guestimate or are they marked that way? It could very well be a 7 or 8 weight. Perhaps Tom has a Clemens listing with that spec. Tiptop 6? or even 6 1/2 ?

Post 03 Sep 2021, 11:06 • #11 
Guide
With a .58 OD most all of the all metal Lemke's will fit that with the exception of the LC4 which is only .500

Post 03 Sep 2021, 16:55 • #12 
Administrator
I have 3-4 Clemens catalogs. The only one I could readily find is from 1994. The SOA blanks are listed as 'high gloss black' tip-over-butt. I'll keep looking for the earlier catalogs.

A full metal reelseat might better balance an 8'6" rod blank. Use a couple of thin bands of masking tape to center the reelseat around the rod blank. Fill the rest with 5-minute epoxy.

Tom

Post 07 Sep 2021, 07:10 • #13 
Guide
Tom - I am thinking of making my first custom reel seat for this build. Because the rod itself is long it will need some butt weight to balance out with a lighter reel. Once its done (likely this winter) I will share!

Post 07 Sep 2021, 09:06 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
If you are turning wood for a custom reel seat, just be careful. That butt section is pretty big. You might want to cut the bottom few inches off and use a stent, so the reel seat can have a bit thicker wall.

Post 08 Sep 2021, 06:52 • #15 
Guide
carlz - its going to be a metal reel seat, end cap, and sliding ring!

Post 08 Sep 2021, 08:09 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
That's a stout rod that is going to want a "large," "heavy" conventional reel. Thus, it is going to want a screwlock seat. Build dainty on a dainty blank, but right there you have a fly rod.

Post 08 Sep 2021, 10:04 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Not a builder, but as a user, I agree; I wouldn’t want cap and ring on a 6wt. They work fine on some of my shorter 3-4 wts, but most of my 8’-8’6” 4 wts have locking seats, and I like that. One 8’5wt has a cap and ring that the builder used to keep the weight low, and I’ll take the trade off, but unless you’ve fished an 8’6” 6 wt (or heavier) with cap and ring and liked the arrangement, I wouldn’t just jump into it.

Post 11 Sep 2021, 21:19 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with Riffling Hitch.It looks much like an old Lamiglas S glass blank.I had a spinning rod that was S glass and it looks very similar.Their standard glass had a duller colour to it.

Post 25 Sep 2021, 15:25 • #19 
Sport

Here's a 7 1/2' 6wt on a Clemens SOA blank from 1992, it's my daughter's rod, started the build the day she was born. Hi-gloss black and tip over butt.

Post 26 Sep 2021, 16:40 • #20 
Sport
I have a 7'0" soa and a 7'6" soa custom built by a friend who knew Dale.
Have trouble finding and information on these 2.
Both are 4 wts. 2 pc.
One is a dark brown blank the other is a darker tan as I would describe it.

Post 28 Sep 2021, 08:36 • #21 
Guide
Justinr can you post pics?

Post 15 Feb 2022, 16:22 • #22 
I just saw this post.

My first "good" fly rod was that custom built 9ft or 9.5ft 6-8wt (actually a 5wt) from an apogee blank kit purchased at Clemens Tackle in 2000. My elderly neighbor ordered & built the rod for me.
In 2004, accidentally left it in the parking lot, after loading my gear. I was 15 min away before I noticed it was gone. I went back, posted flyers & offered rewards. Never recovered the rod, I have searched in vain for a replacement for it. No luck. I have own some fine, expensive rods however- none- not one- touches what I could do with that rod. I would

I have heard countless stories about the source over the years.

The most interesting one was that the apogee blanks were built by two mfgs.

Lamson purportedly made the lower & the tips (which were solid?) were made to order in South Korea under Dale's specs.

I would pay through the teeth for a replacement!

Ben

Post 20 Jan 2023, 10:09 • #23 
Guide
located in NJ but purchased from a seller in WY.

New Topic Add Reply