It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:18

New Topic Add Reply
Umpqua Fly Line Scale
Post 01 Sep 2021, 22:41 • #1 
Guide
Was just in a discussion with a fellow angler on this forum..and used my old spring line scale, made by Umpqua, to check out the weight of a fly line. With all the colors, tapers, flotaing/sinking, etc of lines over the years this tool has proven very handy in narrowing down the possibilities of unknown lines, especially on vintage reels purchased. Also , we lose the stickers on the reels to tell us about the lines, so it is easy to lose track.

I have used it many times...pull off 30' of the fly line in question, place the loops in a clip..and, voila you have a pretty good idea of the weight of any fly line. I approximate the 30' by extending my arms , our wingspan is close to our height ,which is about 6' and the scale immediately tells you the weight.

Not sure if they sell them any more, but if you can find one...grab it.

Post 01 Sep 2021, 23:47 • #2 
Administrator
Sadly, Umpqua stopped selling these. They are a bit fiddly to use as the spring is soft and tends to oscillate. Hang the scale from a hook and it will be more stable. Like Phil suggests, if you see one grab it before anyone else figures out what it is.

Lacking an Umpqua, use a cheap digital scale that can be set to measure in grains. These are readily available from eBay. Find one that takes AAA or AA batteries, not button cells. There are many different chores for such a scale in a fly fisherman's shop.

Tom

Post 02 Sep 2021, 08:09 • #3 
Piscator
that one-ounce range would definitely be a goosey spring balance, but what a fun tool.

Post 02 Sep 2021, 08:50 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Harbor Freight sells '1000 gram' digital scales that can be set for grains grams ounces pennyweights, troy ounces, and carats ~$12 iirc. An aluminum foil small loaf pan from the $ store weighs a gram or three but within the Tare setting to zero and holds the wadded or coiled line nicely.
Accuracy +/- 0.1gram. (~1.54 grain)
They have a couple others but this one suited my needs.
I have inch marks on my bench out to 40" (originally for leader building) and 10 times at 36" is close to 30'

Post 02 Sep 2021, 09:11 • #5 
Guide
Thanks for the info..definitely more accurate..then a simple conversion from grains will give you the line weights. Will look for one next time at Harbor Freight

I just pull off 5 lengths of approximately 6' off the reel to weigh the head...30'... and I get a ballpark line weight.

Rod

Post 02 Sep 2021, 12:00 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I bought a digital scale a year or so (maybe two? or three? time flies...) ago, and have enjoyed it. Got 30' marked on my fence, then just coil the 30' section of line and place on the scale.

Somebody needs to post a picture of the item in question so I know what to look for, might be a fun toy.

Post 02 Sep 2021, 14:56 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
They are out there on the auction sites but sometimes they go for stupid money...

FWIW - If you go hunting for one, MSRP when available was around $20 bucks.

Post 02 Sep 2021, 16:08 • #8 
Guide
Yup..that's it, thanks

They were about $20 new, as I recall. Never sold a lot of them, but very handy to have around.

Post 03 Sep 2021, 10:48 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I like the fence mark idea. Nails 30' apart on house or barn wall would be an accurate way to measure, repeated grab and stretch to accumulate the total is bound to have some error.

New Topic Add Reply