It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:38

New Topic Add Reply
Another Harnell post
Post 26 Aug 2021, 12:12 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
After what seems like a bunch of talk around these rods on the board lately, one showed up on my local Craigslist equivalent. So of course I snagged it, and it arrived today.

Harnell 645

Boy that Mylar is cool

And the block cork handle is wild. I don’t think anyone can get cork like this these days.

Bulldog seems to be the expert on these. Sound like its a 7wt at least? I’ll try to get out to cast it tonight. I’m actually thinking of using it this fall on a very small steelhead stream nearby.

Re: Another Harnell post
Post 26 Aug 2021, 12:52 • #2 
Piscator
Congrats on finding that great configuration.

All Harnell rods are para tapers, so I believe it would fish a 6-wt very well, but you might like the feel better with a 7 - no need to go over that.
The line diameter may be limited by the small snakes made for varnished or enameled silk.

My older 645, I fish with T200, and it sings.

I haven't tried a thin 7-wt freshwater line on my 8' 652, but it sings with a salt 7-wt slime line.

My 1652, which should be the same rod only with H-I gold paint, sings with Ridgeline Chalkstream 6-wt, and also with T130.

After all that, I would rate these mid-length Harnells as 6/7. The lighter line will load better with haul, and if haul isn't automatic for you, might want the 7.

Post 26 Aug 2021, 13:16 • #3 
Master Guide
Beauty. I’ve handled a few but never in this nice of shape.

Post 26 Aug 2021, 13:41 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah it’s in really nice shape. I think I’m going to give it a bit of a bath and try to clean some of the grime off the cork, then I’m wondering if I should hit the guide wraps with some fresh varnish. They’re in good shape overall, but the thread is showing a bit of wear and I’d like to keep them protected. I don’t relish the idea of trying to recreate those wraps if they get damaged.

Bulldog - being para I imagine it roll casts well? I’m thinking it might be an excellent single hand Spey rod. It’s remarkably fast recovering, and yes the tip is substantially stiffer than the FF756 I have.

Post 26 Aug 2021, 14:47 • #5 
Piscator
couldn't be more apples and oranges from Fenwick, which tend to be soft progressive taper.

What I can tell you about my 645 and that first speckled trout above, I was fishing from a dock at night with palm trees behind.
I would roll-pick-up my T200, aim my single line-speed back-cast into the dark hole between the palm branches, and shoot out 60' - oh yeah, and catch schoolies. Haul and a bit of direction change was involved in these motions, and the Harnell did its textbook job - putting a lot of line out front without much behind.
Did all this waking up at 3am to fish the schoolies that came into our light, and no coffee, even.

Post 26 Aug 2021, 20:45 • #6 
Master Guide
Nice find…this model doesn’t surface often…on my quiver list…

Sandman

Post 29 Aug 2021, 12:14 • #7 
Master Guide
You've reminded me of the 8' 652 I have hiding in the back of the glass rod stack. Though it didn't come with the original fiber tube, it has a nice homemade PVC sheath and has not had a reel in the seat or had the ferrules put together. I just can't bear to be the first one to sully it, but maybe soon. :)
I had an eight foot Harnell a few years back that I gave away because it frustrated me, not knowing it was parabolic, so I should probably hang onto this one and give it a chance.

Post 30 Aug 2021, 15:59 • #8 
Guide
Well to continue the “Show & Tell” on Harnell Rods I will add this one that I picked up a couple of weeks ago. It was incorrectly listed as a fly/spinning rod stating that the bottom half has 4 spinning guides. However they are the striping guides. You don’t see to many rods with 4 striper guides.
It is a Harnell 661R listed in their 1955 catalog:
9-10wt? / 10 guides= 4 striper & 5 snake & 1 tip / removable 6in Fighting Butt
9ft 6in at 7oz with no extension butt & 10ft at 8oz with extension butt
For you Harnell collectors you might notice that like some of Hernell’s early rods this rod does not have the gold under wrap and border on the guide wraps. It is pictured that way in the 1955 catalog also.
It should work out great here in Southern California for the coastal saltwater.

Now the fun part is going to be finding out which reel and line weight will work best for this rod.

Post 30 Aug 2021, 16:50 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Odd, not a one of the 3 or 4 Harnell fly rods I’ve sampled were even close to being parabolic but rather stiff in the butt if not overly so. I did think they’d be better suited to salt than freshwater though because of that.

Post 30 Aug 2021, 17:39 • #10 
Guide
Crusty Bugger I will agree with you based on how this rod bends when loaded. The first 5ft to just above the ferrule is pretty straight and stiff then the upper 4 1/2ft has a really fast flexible taper. I have not used it on the water yet but that is what it looks like when I pull on it

Post 30 Aug 2021, 19:28 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
That describes my experiences rather well, certainly not parabolic with no bend into the grip area.

Post 31 Aug 2021, 02:51 • #12 
Guide

A while back I posted pics of this rod and it prompted a little debate but the consensus was that it was probably/ definitely a Harnell 655 blank, one of many sold by the company to other companies to finish and or brand. The information and pictures of Netman’s rod strengthens the case for my rod being a Harnell blank in that the yellow Mylar thread is not under the red thread on the rod guides but only at the base, ferrules and tip ring. The guides look very familiar also. My rod is 8.5 ft and weighs approximately 4.9 oz. I’m not so hot on my understanding of parabolic in relation to fly rods but would describe the rod as stiffer at the base and ‘punchy’ to cast. Curiously whoever finished the rod there was only one small stripper guide located close to the ferrule with no evidence that there had been others. I have fitted a larger bottom stripper. Fascinating rods and history.

Post 31 Aug 2021, 07:01 • #13 
Piscator
Not every rod is a small stream trout rod. Every para taper needs some progressive in the tip to get it started, otherwise, it's a broom handle.
I'm also sure you'd say the same about my hand-rolled Izch PBEX8667, Sage RPLX (and TCR), Fisher 6'9" 3-pc, but all four certainly are para taper rods.
Where you'll notice it is shortening your arm movements and adding haul. .
Any google search of forum archives on Harnell fly rods will show I'm not the only one making these observations.
Thanks for showing all the nice rods.

Two fast paras with a progressive in between

Post 31 Aug 2021, 07:51 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Trout, salt, doesn’t matter. In a parabolic rod, the butt starts to participate with the tip at the same time or much earlier than a progressive taper. With the Harnell’s I’ve cast the butt didn’t participate hardly at all until the tip section was significantly bent. Harnell may have had some parabolic rods. Certainly not “all” Harnell’s were parabolic tapers.

Post 31 Aug 2021, 10:41 • #15 
Piscator
you would make the exact same observations on the three other certain para rods I listed.
Even in surf rods people talk about how para Harnell's rods were.
The decided progressive opposite would be a Japanese shore game rod.
Ronald L. McAlpin

Post 31 Aug 2021, 13:23 • #16 
Guide
Argyll trout fisher; your rod sure looks like a Harnell factory made rod. I would say that Harnell made it for that company to put their label on it. The striper guide you pictured is just like the first one on my rod with the wide ring. The other 3 have a narrow ring. The snake guides look the same also. Here is another clue that might help, many factory Harnell rods had a one piece solid cork grip.
not rings glued together. The one I have pictured does. Does yours have a solid cork grip?

Post 31 Aug 2021, 16:20 • #17 
Guide
No the rod has the more common sectional cork handle . Probably finished according to a tight budget/ spec I guess. The ferrules look fairly ordinary as well I think. It has a decent real seat though.

Post 31 Aug 2021, 17:41 • #18 
Piscator
I have two Harnells with block cork, but my 652 has the highest-grade ring cork I've ever seen on any rod.

Post 31 Aug 2021, 19:09 • #19 
Master Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
I have two Harnells with block cork, but my 652 has the highest-grade ring cork I've ever seen on any rod.

Ditto!

Post 31 Aug 2021, 22:05 • #20 
Guide
Very, very nice!

Post 01 Sep 2021, 05:18 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog1935, did Harington build any rods that didn't have the yellow base wrap under the guides? I have kinda thought that was his signature?

Post 01 Sep 2021, 06:30 • #22 
Piscator
Both as Harnell and after 1965, John Harrington sold many more blanks than finished rods.
Roy's Bait & Tackle in Corpus Christi kept stock of Harrington blanks until almost year 2000.
If you check out these surf beauties on corpusfishing forum, he stuck with yellow base wrap, gold mylar and red over-wrap for a long time - the Harrington signature wrap has stuck with most people who still want these rods today.

New Topic Add Reply