It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:37

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Aug 2021, 23:40 • #1 
Guide
New to the forum, but have been fishing a long time and had many rods slip through my fingers over the years, via trade, gifting, or sales. Most of the time I feel good about putting fiberglass rods in the right hands..especially friends...and I am grateful for the rods, reels etc that I have received, often gratis, but look back wistfully on occasion on the ones I no longer own.

Seeing current prices on a vintage Orvis 6&1/2' glass rod (Golden Eagle?) I gave to a fellow who ran a forum here in AZ for his then young son to fish in the White Mts. He posted pictures for years of his son...now 6'6" himself a college football player.... with nice fish, so not too many regrets there. Someone gave it to me, so passed it on.

2 Shakespeare Wonderrods...one 6'6", the other 7' sold and traded.
Phillipson 7' well-used rod in original tube
Abercombie&Fitch (Philiipson) glass spinning rod...to a good friend who still uses it
Fenwick 7' glass rod..sold
Fenwick 8' custom (ugly) build I recently gave to a guy who let me fish his bass/bluegill pond..bought 2 for $10 each that turned out to be Fenwick blanks
Browning Silaflex 7&1/2' rod..given to a friend who still fishes it. We caught 10 channel cats to 7&1/2 lbs one day on an urban lake
St. Croix 8' 6/7 Commemorative glass rod to a relatively new flyrodder, who is a St Croix "pro" for his bass tournament successes..I fished it once and liked it a lot, but really fun to see him catch fish on it
Sold a Winston 6'6" glass rod with the white spigot ferrules..more than $200 years ago..for a guy with a wonderful collection of vintage gear he needed to get rid of
Sold an A&F (Phillipson) 7'9" rod and Ocean City reel for a good friend's widow after he passed..he caught a lot of fish on, having bought it new at the San Francisco store in the 60's or 70's

They are all in good places, I guess, and there is definitely something about finding the right hands to put them in...but don't get me started on reels

Last edited by Phil-a-Flex on 26 Aug 2021, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Aug 2021, 06:22 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
One 8’ 6pc. 5/6 Steffen.........Aurelio

Post 26 Aug 2021, 08:46 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Black Scott 754/3.

Post 26 Aug 2021, 09:34 • #4 
Guide
I was a Scott dealer, but never availed myself of the opportunity to buy one..wish I had. Scott was pretty much the only major manufacturer with a line of glass not long ago...and Lamiglass, as I recall.

Tried to get Steffen Bros in my shop, talked to them, but they were not taking on dealers at the time. Saw their rods at trade shows and at the Trout Hunter shop in Island Park, Idaho but have never owned one.

Post 26 Aug 2021, 11:12 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Excluding all the bamboo I couldn't afford as a kid, the most recent lament was another Tom Morgan Rodsmith stick when Tom was still alive and running things.

I was on the fence about getting a Unity or an 8'0" 4wt and about the time I was ready to pull the trigger, Tom sold the company and my interest waned.

Post 26 Aug 2021, 11:57 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
A few Fenwicks - FF705 (with the all cork slide band seat), FF807 (not that it is rare, but it’s my favourite casting Fenwick - eventually I’ll get around to picking up another), FF79.

An Epic 376. I didn’t really need a 3wt at the time. But now I wish I still had it.

Highest on the list though: when I first joined this board it was because I had picked up a couple of home built rods on Fisher blanks via local classifieds and I came here looking for more info on them and was inspired to try to rebuild them. Soon after I was gifted 4 or 5 late Phillipson blanks by another local FFR member who had them squirrelled away. I built them out and learned a lot throughout that process.

I sold every one of those rods to try different stuff and now really, really wish I hadn’t.

Come to think of it, if anyone I sold those to is reading this and decides to someday get rod of them please let me know first!

Post 30 Aug 2021, 22:11 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I’ve owned a few hundred different glass rods in my lifetime. Though I’ve owned more than a hundred rods at one time, I’ve never thought of myself as a collector, more of a trier rather. I bought rods to try them, compare to what I had and offload one in preference to another. To keep things from getting out of hand I began trying to not own more than one rod of the same length and weight. With some rods, it was an easy decision to get rid of one. With others, it took a year or two with casting and fishing sessions under different conditions to make a decision. Whenever I had a difficult decision to make between two rods, my kids were usually the benefactors of some pretty nice rods…well, to a point. Some exceptionally valuable rods got sold if i didn’t want them. Rods I keep are what I feel are best for me and how I fish. Since rods I sell go through some rigorous scrutiny, I feel little remorse not having them. There have been some rods that I have sold that I feel may have performed better than the ones I kept in very specific conditions but not overall. I can tell you this…when I sell a rod that’s been in my quiver for a while, it’s amongst the best rods money can buy for its length and line weight. There are rods I have purchased multiple times. They are usually less expensive rods that perform extremely well so are great value rods. I give these away as gifts or donate them to organizations that teach kids how to fly fish. There is only one rod I have regretted selling but not because I thought it was better than a rod I had, but because I realized I had no rods from that maker any more and wanted a representative in my quiver, a Phillipson. So in that respect I guess, I became a collector of one rod. Overall though, I think my rod count is now less than 30 including glass and graphite but no longer any grass. I am in the process of selling a few more for various reasoms and now hope to be below two dozen sometime soon with few if no regrets. My wife will be happy.

Post 31 Aug 2021, 15:22 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I have allowe 3 Phillipsons to slip thru my hands...2 of them went to a member here, so I know that they are in good hands...the 3rd is in the wind...

Post 21 Sep 2021, 22:35 • #9 
Master Guide
I donated a Cabela 4 piece graphite rod for 4 weight line to my local fly fishing club for sale in our annual auction. Although this rod was by no means expensive, yet it was a fine small stream rod and very nice for my local streams.

Post 22 Sep 2021, 06:58 • #10 
Guide
Yep. Not glass but the rod I took my first swung steelie with, TCX 7126. I traded it off thinking it was going to be too big for my new local waters. Now the guy I traded it to has no idea where it went since he sold it to a guy shortly after he got it from me. Broke my heart. I haven't caught a steelie since either.

Post 22 Sep 2021, 08:15 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Not grabbing a Steffen 10/11 over 10 years ago when I had a chance. I didn't fish for tiger muskies at the time....but I was still really really tempted.

Post 22 Sep 2021, 08:59 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I recently sold a dead mint Claudio 7'6" 5wt. to a fellow in Japan. Yea, seller's remorse. Then there was a dead mint 7' Brandin I sold a few years ago. Should never have let that one go. But when someone is waving seven grand in front of you well...........

Post 22 Sep 2021, 15:38 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
A lot of stuff i regret not letting go when i had the chance.If i am not going to use them they should be used by someone i always tell myself.The only people that seem to want my stuff are resellers and not collectors or anglers.I just passed on an offer for 3 zebco abu reels and a mint silaflex 3pc ul spinning rod in the tube.I then proceeded to hand a mint original Lew's stick to a buddy for whatever he wants to give me in the future.I know he fish with it and i could see the joy on his face.

Post 22 Sep 2021, 20:49 • #14 
Master Guide
Scott g 856/2.

I traded a steffen 8'3 5/6 built by Mark mckellip for sage 505 reel. That was a beautiful rod I would like to still have it but I use the reel way more. To me, it was a really fair trade.

Post 02 Oct 2021, 07:45 • #15 
Guide
Not glass but I had a Fran Betters 7'6" 4/5 rod that was really a thing of beauty. Not flashy, just well made and a marvelous fishing rod. I'd buy that one back if I had the chance... I do miss my Orvis Superfine Glass too but mainly because the build date on it was my birthday. It was a nice rod and I felt a certain kinship with it, but I swapped it for the 763. I also much prefer the fiberglass tube of the 764 over the aluminum ones being used now.

Last edited by BigHeavy on 02 Oct 2021, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

Post 02 Oct 2021, 09:31 • #16 
Guide
I have had sellers remorse on a couple of Scott G-series graphite rods - a G908B/4 and a G802/3. I've no regrets for any other rods sold or given away, but I did break a Lamiglas rod that the factory couldn't replace. That was disappointing and where I discovered a lifetime warranty doesn't mean they'll retain components or the capability to repair or reproduce a rod. The replacement graphite rod they sent was a dog and quickly sold. I've gotten over the loss of the G908B with a Steffen 8'6" 7-8 wt and the Lamiglas with a Barclay 70P so those don't sting anymore and I'm delighted with the replacements. Still hoping for another G802 or suitable replacement.

Post 02 Oct 2021, 19:02 • #17 
Guide
I have an old Scott G Series 8'8" 4wt 3 pc that I like for limited situations..don't fish it that much any more, only small fly, delicate presentation, and spring creeks but it is sweet. As was the 8'8" 3wt of the same series, which I kind of regret parting with

Post 12 Oct 2021, 22:20 • #18 
Sport
St Croix Bank Robber 6wt that’s since been discontinued. Echo offers a similar rod now but I’m drawn more to the original.

Post 12 Oct 2021, 23:37 • #19 
Guide
The one vintage St. Croix I will not part with is an Imperial 7' 3 wt..almost like glass, amazing value at the original selling price of $140 for the 2-piece.

The Avids in lighter weights of 2,3,4 are exceptional rods as well.

New Topic Add Reply