It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:06

New Topic Add Reply
Another actionglas.
Post 21 Jul 2021, 18:56 • #1 
So stopped to talk with a stranger while yard saleing, when he found I fly fished, he went in side and came back with this. An actionglas Special Flyrod 8'6" in fairly decent shape. Apparently it belonged to his wife's father and in his memory they wanted it to be fished again. I will be replacing one guide as it is broken off. Luckily I have a stash of guides and silk and such from my grandfather to do the repairs as close to original as possible. Hope to get it done by the time the forest fires let me back into the bush! Yes I know about the distortion to the ferrule, as a goldsmith I think I can fix that.

Re: Another actionglas.
Post 21 Jul 2021, 19:55 • #2 
Administrator
Actionrod/Actionglas made two flavors of rod, fun/interesting and heavy. Hopefully your rod is in the first category. Many of the heavy variety had thick paint covering the blanks. The posted label photos are a bit too small to read the text.

You may wish to consider a complete rebuild. Rods of the day had grips that were too short and too few guides. Often those guides aged poorly. The reelseat might be salvageable.

A ferrule repair would make an interesting thread for the Rod Building and Tackle Tinkering forum. Many Actionrods had aluminum ferrules, which are not easy to work with. The ferrule in your photo looks like nickel silver or plated brass. Hopefully that gives you a fighting chance at a successful repair.

Tom

Post 22 Jul 2021, 14:23 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Looking forward to "action" pictures!!

Personally, if it was mine, I would just fix the one guide and go fishing, if the rest is sound. It will cast fine with whatever number of guides it has.

Post 22 Jul 2021, 15:11 • #4 
Master Guide
I too picked up an Action Glass 8.5’.
I bought it because it was made in Detroit and that’s my home town. Mine has several guides that need replacement. I’m probably going to make it a Winter 2021/22 rebuild challenge rod. Mine has lemon yellow wraps tipped in black. Probably an easy 6 wt.
maybe the best $8 I’ve spent lately.

New Topic Add Reply