It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:46

New Topic Add Reply
Winston 9’ #9
Post 22 Jul 2021, 13:03 • #1 
I am looking at buying a 9’ #9 Winston (California rod) reddish blank w goldish real seat. I want to offer the guy a fair price. It is in barely used almost perfect condition. Two tips (one shorter than the other). From the pic would any of you care to try to estimate age, or offer any background on this rod. It’s beautiful.

[Fixed the images. Tom]

Re: Winston 9’ #9
Post 24 Jul 2021, 15:46 • #2 
Nice rod. For many years I fished a Winston fiberglass 10wt. Caught a ton of stripers on it. Still have the rod. While most Winston glass was progressive action, I don't think these bigger rods were. More of a compound taper?

Best of luck!

Post 17 Aug 2021, 17:16 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Beast of a rod!

Post 28 Sep 2021, 20:14 • #4 
Sport
i am not sure on time frames but i still have 1 just like that used at 1973.national. with an 8 wt silk line. i also still have some finished Winston from several years before that national. had a lot of winston glass as i knew where the blanks came from (sceptre mostly buddy (tarantino) started doing less rod design for hardy. he passed away in spring of 73" i believe doug merrick went to another co. for banks..

Post 29 Sep 2021, 04:41 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
For sure blanks from JK Fisher and somewhere around 1973-1975

Post 29 Sep 2021, 12:45 • #6 
Guide
From the signature wrap and inked model information I think that rod dates to after Tom Morgan bought Winston. Most Merrick Winston glass rods I've seen were unlabeled. Winston's Fisher-rolled glass steelhead rods were a step up from Fenwicks in finish and, arguably, in performance. Most saw use on the coast with sinking shooting heads for steelhead, kings and stripers. I built a 9 wgt from a kit in 1969 and used it for years until I gave it to a friend. I got nostalgic about Winston glass steelhead rods a few years ago and traded into or bought 8, 9, 10 and 11 weights. They were all fine casting rods but the 9 weight is the only one I kept. A winner with a 300 grain shooting head.

Post 29 Sep 2021, 13:04 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome, and thanks for the comment, LK. Jeffsod's post here is another on the early Fisher/Winston family of 'glass heavyweights viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72836 Seems like Fenwick's were the most touted heavyweights in national media of the time, or at least best known in the East, where anglers picked them up as Atlantic salmon runs returned, more or less around the time steelhead came back on the Pacific coast. The Fisher and Winston names were less well known in the East, and too bad, about the time they developed fans, the runs were petering out and graphite rods coming forward. Enjoyed this thread and Jeff's on another rod from that era.

Post 29 Sep 2021, 18:15 • #8 
I agree with Larry. This rod was made after Tom owned the company. The first given clue is the improved rod sock that Tom picked out. The other clue is the reel seat. It isn't the inexpensive Varmac that Doug used. Instead it appears to be the Cal Air seat that Tom preferred.

Post 01 Oct 2021, 11:52 • #9 
Guide
Merrick used flimsy Varmac reel seats on glass trout rods but used the pictured CA3 by Cal Air on steelhead rods. They all, however, had only one lock ring instead of the two on the rod above. And I've never seen a Merrick Winston with an uplocking seat, not that there couldn't have been any. More clues that this is a post Morgan rod.

New Topic Add Reply