It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:23

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Jun 2021, 21:30 • #1 
Sport
All,
I got this rod and reel today ($5). I plan to use it to practice my rebuilding skills. The rod is a 7-ft, 2-piece, 7wt. unsanded fiberglass. The rod is painted red with small white paint splotches. The only legible text on the rod is the model number, 9276, and the line weight. I am very new to this, and I'm not sure I understand the style of tip-top on this rod. Can someone explain? Also, does anyone know who the manufacturer might be?
I included photos of the reel. It was made in Japan, is missing lots of screws, and it has the letter "C" on the arbor. It seems to be quite cheap--does anyone know what make it is?
Best wishes.
Mitch

Post 29 Jun 2021, 21:51 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Reel is a jap Medalist clone. Not really worth fixing.

Rod at first glance I thought St Croix. But who knows,

That is a spinning tip top, damaged, tip seciton of rod is probably shorter than butt, looks like the lost a few inches off tip of rod and installed a new tip tip.

Post 30 Jun 2021, 08:51 • #3 
Sport
Majicwrench,
Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate your patience and kindness. As a novice, I am learning every time I ask a question.
Yes, the top section is shorter than the butt. (Together, the rod measures 7'1". Maybe it was 7'6" or 8' when new.)
The ferules are good, and the blank of the butt section is good. I do have some orphan tip sections, so I'll see if one of them matches the butt well enough create a "Frankenrod" with a decent action. It's amazing how much fun can be purchased for a few dollars at junk stores.
Best wishes.
Mitch

Post 30 Jun 2021, 10:25 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
92 might be a model number or gram weight. It looks like it’s supposed to be 7’6” and is rated for a 7 weight. So MW is correct. The tip was broken and a spinning rod tip put on it. With so much tip gone it will be pretty fast and you might try going up a line weight.

Post 30 Jun 2021, 16:29 • #5 
Guide
Looks to me like a part of the tip top is missing - there should be a ring on it that appears to be broken off.

Post 03 Jul 2021, 09:39 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Kanokie,

at $5, you can't go wrong, but don't sink too much money into it. The reel seat looks like it is splitting and a short-tip rod has no monetary value, in fact, any no-name vintage rod is not worth restoring unless it has sentimental value.

However, it is worth throwing on a new tiptop and fishing it. It looks like it was rated for a line weight of "E" which is a 4/5wt. I assume it was originally 7'6". If it is a good fishing rod, it would be worth a bit of cleaning and maintenance, just don't expect to get your money out of it.

I would wash the glass portion with dish soap and either a green scotchbrite pad or a magic eraser. I wouldn't spend the time rewrapping it if the guides are ok (make sure they are not rusted, you don't want to rip up your fly line). If the guides are in bad shape, you would have to replace one or all. Not a hard job, but it might be more than you want to do. If the guides are in good shape, give them a coat of varnish to spruce them up and fish the rod hard.

It looks like a good project rod. A bit of maintenance goes a long way, but it was never a fancy rod. Fish it or cast it a bit before tackeling the other parts (sanding the grip or replacing the reel seat).

If you are going to do something, post pictures of your progress in the rod-bulding/tackle tinkering section. It's always fun to watch.

Edit: as Crusty mentioned. It clearly says 7wt, which makes it a bit less interesting to redo.

Last edited by carlz on 04 Jul 2021, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

Post 03 Jul 2021, 22:01 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Carl, where do you see that it is for an E line? It looks pretty clear to me that it says “RATED FOR 7 WGT. LINE”.

New Topic Add Reply