It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:08

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Jun 2021, 20:38 • #1 
Sport
I am new to fiberglass fly rods, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I would like to try my hand at repairing/rebuilding rods, but I don't want to invest much in the beginning. With this in mind, I went to a junk store today and bought 4 beat-up old rods for about $3 each (a total of $12). I plan to practice repairing these so I won't risk damaging anything of real value. I am including photos of a rod I had assumed was graphite or some similar material because of the way it looks. However, when I look for information about the rod (True Temper 805, 7-1/2 ft, 2-piece, Custom Build Eight-[something unreadable], 6-wt), I only see mention of fiberglass rods. The rod appears black to my eyes. It is very limber, and I think I may enjoy fishing with it after replacing some of the guides.
So here is my question: How can I tell if this (or any other) rod is fiberglass?
Best wishes

After reading the comments, I took some new close-up images that I believe will show the rod is made from gray fiberglass with paint on top, as follows:

Best wishes.
Mitch

Last edited by kanokie on 24 Jun 2021, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

Post 23 Jun 2021, 22:20 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
That certainly appears to be a glass rod, with the typical reel seat and metal ferrules of the day. Most of the hollow built glass rods were built with the metal ferrules, going to the Fenwick style ferrule just before the end of the glass production.

Larry

Post 24 Jun 2021, 01:18 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Hi kanokie, welcome to the forum, it looks like we are almost neighbors.
I think you'll find the black is paint, the real color shows around the guides where the paint is missing.
Good rod to practice on, as you say no big loss is possible and it might turn out a wonderful using rod.
Any plastic rod with metal ferrules is likely fiberglass, I don't think I've ever seen a graphite rod with metal ferrules. Graphite rods are also noticeably more slender in the butt section and stiffer throughout.
However for your purpose of cheap practice blank it really doesn't matter what the material is, the threads, components, epoxy, paint, varnish, etc. and methods work on any stick.

Last edited by Trev on 24 Jun 2021, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

Post 24 Jun 2021, 07:46 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Building on Larry and Trev's statements, that looks like glass to me, although dark gray is usually indicative of graphite, that is clearly paint. Also if it is as full-flexing as you say, then it is most likely glass. The time period (when they referred to AFTMA) is also about right for it to be glass. True Temper made some great fishing rods at "Blue Collar" prices, and I think you will like the rod for fishing; with a few more guides, of course.

Post 24 Jun 2021, 16:36 • #5 
Sport
Thanks, Larry, Trev, and Archfly. The paint issue is intriguing. I've included some new closeup photos in the original post. What I see under my stereo microscope suggests the rod consists of a semi-translucent gray fiberglass with glitter. There also appear to be two layers of paint on top: First, there is a whitish paint (possible primer) under the wraps. A yellowish paint seems to have been applied over the primer. The stereo microscope shows prominent spiral ridges on the blank (not as visible in the photos). Does this mean it is unsanded fiberglass?
Best wishes.
Mitch

Post 26 Jun 2021, 16:00 • #6 
Administrator
Yes, that is a fiberglass rod, probably from the 60s/70s. The True Temper rod factory closed in the 80s. The spiral pattern indicates an unsanded blank.

This rod was a budget build. The ferrules are inexpensive nickel plated brass, there are only a few guides, and the reelseat is non-anodized, thin aluminum with a single lock ring. Some high quality rods were double wrapped - a base layer of thread was wound on the rod and the guide was wrapped over the base layer. Many factory rods mimicked an underwrap with paint. Operationally the paint layer levels the spirals, making the guide wrapping easier. The white paint is the pseudo-underwrap. The yellow comes from an overcoat of varnish, which was used to finish the thread wraps. The glitter in the rod blank finish is an interesting touch.

The rod is a good remake candidate. The biggest issue is the metal ferrule. If the ferrule can be cleaned to a usable state, the rest of the rod build depends on your preferences. Personally, I would pick an anodized aluminum reelseat and hopefully reuse the existing cork (that's pretty nice cork for a budget rod!). If the ferrule is a hopeless mess, you might be able to purchase a replacement from a rod component site or eBay.

Tom

Post 27 Jun 2021, 08:43 • #7 
Sport
Thanks, Tom, Archfly, Trev, and Larry.
The ferules seems to be in usable condition (tip section inserts OK and comes out with a nice popping sound). The line guides are corroded and rough, so I have not tried the rod with line. My plan is to put on a new set of guides with modern spacing, clean the ferules and reel seat, fish with the rod for a while, and then make a decision about whether it's worth rebuilding further. I do have a few questions in that regard:
1. After I remove the old thread wraps, is there a recommended procedure for removing the white paint? (scrape with fingernail, use a solvent, etc.?)
2. The painted company logo and rod information are beginning to wear off. To prevent further loss, I was thinking about using some thread wraps to frame the logo/printing area, and then varnish over the logo/printing when I varnish the wraps. Does that sound like a reasonable approach? Is there a better way?
3. Does anyone have thoughts about thread colors for the dark gray rod? I'd like to use 2 or more colors.
4. Does anyone have advice on cleaning the aluminum reel seat? (vinegar, soapy water, something else)
5. Although the cork is solid, it is quite dirty. Is it possible to clean the cork? Would a mild bleach solution be appropriate?
Thanks again to everyone for sharing your knowledge.
Best wishes.
Mitch

Post 27 Jun 2021, 09:37 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Neat old rod. A 7'6" 6wt is a very useful thing.

I would just pick away at the paint.

The cork will clean up with any dishsoap and a lite scrubbing. That said, I have heard ( one hears lots of things) that soap takes the oils out of the cork. They do make products for cleaning/conditioning cork if you wanted to.

I wouldn't worry too much about "modern" guide spacing. Rod designers were not incompetent back then, but whatever you wish to do is fine. The trend to more and more guides is silly IMHO.

Post 27 Jun 2021, 11:49 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I'm sure I've read posts here about stripping paint from entire rods and about spray painting or dipping the rods in new colors, probably in the "what's on your bench" under "Rod Building and Tackle Tinkering", but a search should turn up multiple posts on those subjects I think.
someone may have used "citrus strip"? someone may have rebuilt on the "nude" blank?

I agree with MW you don't have to have as many guides as some people think, but an extra doesn't hurt that much. I think my favorite 7 1/2' rod has a stripper and three snakes.

Post 27 Jun 2021, 12:45 • #10 
Master Guide
If you want to replace the seat. Let me know. I have some NOS seats like that I’ll give you.
It maybbe easier than trying to clean it.

Post 27 Jun 2021, 20:11 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
For cleaning the reel seat and cork, I use Simple Green cleaner and an old toothbrush. You can buy a package of bamboo shish kebab skewers at the grocery store. I’d run the pointy end of one of these through the threads in the reel seat, after soaking the threads in Simple Green for 10 minutes or so.

New Topic Add Reply