It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:24

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Jun 2021, 16:42 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I was recently looking through the rest of my Fly Fishing collection I had in storage and I came across a blank I had forgot about. Its a Lamiglas FL 965-6. It would be nice to have a compact traveling rod to take with me when I visit family in socal where fishing isn't the focus of the visit but slipping away to catch a few could happen.

Anyone have experience with this rod? How does it fish? What wt is it? I think maybe its a 5/6 I can't remember.

Getting a rod built with so many sections could potentially be rather pricey so I'd like some insight on whether or not its even worth the cost and instead find a similar configuration from Fenwick, Hardy etc. It is a beautiful looking blank though, it may warrant a build just for that, lol.

Thanks,
Jess

Post 21 Jun 2021, 17:58 • #2 
Master Guide
I think its an 8' 5 weight. I haven't used that rod but I wouldn't hesitate to get it built.

Post 21 Jun 2021, 18:01 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Those are really not worth your time or money.

But since I am a nice guy, I will give you $5 for it if you will pay shipping.

:)

Post 21 Jun 2021, 18:13 • #4 
Master Guide
Definitely an 8' 5wt 6pc blank that Lamiglas used in their 6-piece Brush Creek series. As far as factory Brush Creek rods, I have seen more of the 6'6" and 7'6" versions than any other lengths like 8' or 7'.

I would not hesitate to get it built out either.

I would not send it to magicwrench.

Post 21 Jun 2021, 18:41 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
HEY!

Post 21 Jun 2021, 20:00 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the replies guys! Nice to hear its a 5 weight. One can never have too many glass 5 weights, especially in 8 foot length. I've always wanted one of Matthew Leiderman's builds. I think one of his classic refined builds would suit this rod nicely. Maybe when I'm ready to get it built out I'll contact him.

-Jess

Post 21 Jun 2021, 20:15 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Those multi-piece Lami blanks seemed to stiffen up the blank a bit (and it helped a lot).
Definitely worth building out. In fact it's had to find those blanks. Lamiglas stopped making the multi-piece rods quite a while ago.

And Magicwrench is deserving of the rod, but he's a bit cheap. I would pay $10.

And a +1 for a Leiderman build on that blank. It's worth it (both the blank and Matt's work)

Post 21 Jun 2021, 23:47 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Carlz, I was wondering how all those spigots would effect the rod. Happy to hear it changes the rod for the better.

Also if I were to ever sell it, I'd want at least $15...

Post 22 Jun 2021, 07:05 • #9 
Guide
I'll give you WAY over $15 for it :)

Post 22 Jun 2021, 08:01 • #10 
Piscator
Glass Enthusiast wrote:
Carlz, I was wondering how all those spigots would effect the rod. Happy to hear it changes the rod for the better.

Spigot ferrules add just a bit of weight, but won't diminish the taper, because the MOI and bulk modulus is controlled by the blank diameter, essentially unaffected by the designed MOI-matching spigot.

It's not the same as sleeve ferrules, which have to locally increase the blank O.D. and stiffness.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 22 Jun 2021, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 Jun 2021, 08:14 • #11 
Master Guide
I’ll add a yes vote for building it out, just for the form factor standpoint. I got a great deal on a Hardy Demon Smuggler 8’ 4wt 6pc a few years ago when they were discontinued. Not glass, but I love having such a compact travel rod in my arsenal. I take it along with my Ross Colorado LT on almost every car trip and find that setup excellent to fish in most creek, river or lake situation I encounter between Texas and Colorado. A 5wt glass in 6pc would be ideal.

Post 22 Jun 2021, 11:00 • #12 
Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
Glass Enthusiast wrote:

Spigot ferrules add just a bit of weight, but won't diminish the taper, because the MOI and bulk modulus is controlled by the blank diameter, essentially unaffected by the designed MOI-matching spigot.

It's not the same as sleeve ferrules, which have to locally increase the blank O.D. and stiffness.

I have a Lamiglas 7' 6" 4wt 10 piece blank built into a rod that Lamiglas sold as well. I can attest to the fact that all those spigots are not speeding the rod up. Compared to my 7'6" 4wt CTS, it is still a slower rod.

I would love to have that blank. Sucker for multi-piece pack rods.

Last edited by spielerman on 22 Jun 2021, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 Jun 2021, 11:17 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Definitely build it out. The fact that you have a multi piece Lamiglas has many on this board drooling and wishing they had it, me included.

Post 22 Jun 2021, 11:31 • #14 
Guide
As the crowd says...build it out! You will not be disappointed. I have one Fred Paddock built...absolutely love it ...and have no plans to sell it.
Carl

Post 22 Jun 2021, 12:00 • #15 
Guide
Those yellow Lamis are definitely worth building out. I went to the second Bamboo Festival at Bend OR on the Metolius River (Camp Sherman) and Lami reps crashed the grass party. I'm glad they did since I was curious how the actions changed on the 7'6" 4wt according to 2 piece (most common), 3, 4, 6 and 10. To my surprise and delight, all 5 sticks casted essentially the same. I nabbed the 3 and 10 pieces to keep my 2 piece company at home. Also got the superb 7' 3wt, just right for the Upper Deschutes.

tl
les

Post 22 Jun 2021, 12:17 • #16 
Guide
I would certainly defer to a Lami historian but I think this blank is pre Brush Creek. I built out a FL783 6 a few years ago. Had the decal, warranty card and everything in the plastic sleeve. The 2 other 6'6" Lami 6 piece rods I've compared it to were Brush Creeks as I recall and had a different prefix than FL and we're a slightly different shade of yellow My FL was noticeably softer too. All those ferrules don't seem to make any difference. Drooling continues.

Post 22 Jun 2021, 15:17 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Drool!

Post 22 Jun 2021, 16:37 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Well after hearing everyone's feedback, I'm quite excited to get this built out at some point. My very first glass fly rod was a Lamiglas so its nice to hear this is a desirable model. For what ever reason I've always been kind of wary of rods with more then 3-4 sections. I'm glad that it being a 6 section doesn't detract from the rods action and fishability. I probably won't get it built out for a couple of months but when I do I'll definitely update on how it turned out.

Post 22 Jun 2021, 17:20 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Dang, I almost had him talked into selling it to me till you guy all started talking it up. Thanks a lot. :)

Post 23 Jun 2021, 07:06 • #20 
Sport
Build it out! I reach for my lami honeys more often then not. Love them. You can add me to the list if you ever want to get rid of it ;)

Post 24 Jun 2021, 09:31 • #21 
Master Guide
As should be obvious by now, those are highly coveted blanks. Nobody makes anything like them any more - the 6 or more piece rods out there are all lighter weight from what I have seen. I would buy one tomorrow if they were on the market (anyone from Lamiglas reading this? Anyone? Bueller?)

Post 28 Jun 2021, 17:41 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Yes I'm rather excited about this blank now. Anyone have any specific line recommendations for it? I was just going to use my typical 444 peach dt5 or maybe try a wf5.

Post 30 Jun 2021, 17:21 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
ugh, more hopeless longing over here ;-)
wish I had a forgotten multi-piece Lamiglass blank loitering in my basement..

I have a couple of travel graphite rods in six and eight piece configurations, would love to have a glass one.

Post 02 Jul 2021, 18:50 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Glass Enthusiast, I have a rod built from that blank. It is a slow action rod that casts like the other classic honey-colored Lamiglas Brush Creek series. It is rated as a 5/6 and it will cast a 5 just fine although I like to use a 6 wt line to exercise the tip a bit more and I find the heavier line improves my accuracy. Most here know that my favorite of the series is the 7 1/2 ft 4 wt, but this rod is not far behind...if you like slow and smooth casting rods. You won't probably be casting the whole line with it but if I need a 6 wt rod for wind or big flies, want to be discreet that I am headed to favorite spot (it fits in a backpack), and casting distances won't be too long, this is the rod I take.

I agree with lestrout regarding the action similarlty despite the number of ferrules. I have the 6 1/2', 7', 7 1/2', and 8' rods from that Brush Creek series in 2, 3, and 6 pc configurations. I find that each rod length casts the same, no matter how many ferrules there are in the rod. On mine, the 2 piece rods are tip over butt while the 3 pc and 6 pc rods all have spigot ferrules.

If you build it and don't like it, you would have no problem selling it. Many would be interested.

New Topic Add Reply