It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:58

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Jun 2021, 16:47 • #1 
Sport
The rod above came in a package that included a Heddon Black Beauty 8’ 1 3/4F, a Tonka Prince and an FE Thomas Special, 8’. They are all lovely rods in their own way. I was happy to find that the Wand was a 7’ and not 8’ that the seller thought. I have an 8.5’ 3 piece Johnson Profile 800 that is gorgeous and has been broken in on the spring shad run. My only complaints about it are the tiny tip top, that makes reeling in any loop to loop sink tip too dangerous if the fish has a sudden spurt, and shad never give up. The double spiral snakes also make a high whine, reminiscent of tinnitus, when reeling in under load.

The Royal Wand has the same gold plated stripper as the Profile, but no gold plated tip top, and only one double spiral intermediate guide. I am guessing it was rewrapped. If so it was an excellent job, or did Phillipson play around with guide combinations? The catalog shows same layout as Profile. Thanks for posting them, jgestar. I am happy enough to leave them as is, given my gripes above.

I have not even test cast this rod yet (tomorrow I will take it to meet a friend who wants to get into fly fishing at the casting ponds), but it is one of those rods that bring a smile to the face immediately upon joining it together, as did the FE Thomas.

I am still sorting out the Phillipson line up. Both the Johnson Profile 800 and the Royal Wand are Scotch Ply, any difference in the blank other than the paint, and, I imagine, taper?

My first fly rod was a 4 piece Orvis 7’ by Phillipson that I saved my pennies for and built from a kit. I guess I have come around full circle.

Post 15 Jun 2021, 16:58 • #2 
Piscator
you don't really have a question there, but you have a very desirable rod.
Bill Phillipson hand-selected the Royal and RW blanks for light weight and crisp action.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 16 Jun 2021, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post 15 Jun 2021, 17:22 • #3 
Sport
Well, the question was whether the rod had been rewrapped, since there was only one spiral guide and one the tip top was not gold plated. I agree with you about it’s desirability. The moment I held it assembled I could see that. I am looking forward to fishing it. No bushwhacking for this rod! It will be babied as it is in pristine condition.

Post 15 Jun 2021, 17:32 • #4 
Piscator
original wraps, Fly Fox on top, Royal Wand on bottom

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 16 Jun 2021, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post 15 Jun 2021, 17:41 • #5 
Administrator
That rod isn't a Royal. That is a later made Royal Wand with a glass ferrule. RW in the model number. You will find these in the 1969 and 1971 Phillipson catalogs.

While both the Johnson and Royal Wand rods are made from 3M Scotchply, the Royal Wand was developed near the end of Bill Phillipson's career. I think his rods continued to improve right up to the end of the company.

Tom

Post 15 Jun 2021, 19:15 • #6 
Sport
I see that the 69’ and 71 catalog both show the rod as having a gold plated stripper and chrome plated tip top, so it looks like that was not tampered with. The catalog only states snake guides, no mention of double spiral, on the Royal Wand. Bulldogs Royal picture - not sure if it is of a Royal Wand or a Royal - has a mixed set of guides so I know at least some of them do.

Good enough, I’ll take it as original. I’m sure the trout won’t object. Thanks for your help.

Post 15 Jun 2021, 20:19 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I have a 7'6" and it is similar in guide layout.

Post 16 Jun 2021, 00:58 • #8 
Administrator
ephemera wrote:
Good enough, I’ll take it as original.

Not only original guides and wraps, but you also have the original rod tube, rod bag, and hang tag. A nice rod in great condition, but still used enough that you can take it fishing without any hesitation.

Just because it is a short glass rod doesn't mean it is a 3/4 weight. Definitely try it with the recommended 6 weight line.

Tom

Post 16 Jun 2021, 06:45 • #9 
Piscator
My 6'6" Royal Wand sings with a 5-wt, or 100-gr shooting head.
I always found the tipover-ferrule Phillipsons to prefer 5-wt over 6, though marked for the heavier

The later Orvis-made rods are faster. My Phillipson-made 7' Fullflex is marked HDH and fishes a perfect 5.
My original Orvis-made Fullflex A is marked HDG, but really wants a WF7, won't load a 100-gr shooting head, though loads a T-130, and king with 200 gr.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 16 Jun 2021, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post 16 Jun 2021, 07:56 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I don't know where the RF66C HDH - HDG - #6 fits in the line up (although with the spiral wraps I suspect older), but I like it fine with a DT5F or DT6F. Not sure I would with any lighter line.
I don't have a clue where the "F" and the "C" in "RF66C" come from?

Post 16 Jun 2021, 15:43 • #11 
Sport
My guess: R is Royal, F is fly rod, C is cork handle.

I took the 7’ Wand out to the casting ponds today, along with some other 5 and 6 weights. My own shootout with a friend looking to get into fly fishing. I started with the Wand and loaded a 5 WF on it and went no further as it matched beautifully. Rod is light as a feather and pin point accurate at 40 to 50 feet, as was the FET and an 8’ 1 1/2F Heddon. All three delightful 5 weights. I lent my friend the 8’ Berkeley Spartan I repaired and stripped as well as an 8 1/2’ South Bend Outdoorsman along with a Martin mg-7ss to take with him on an upcoming trip. I really like the Berkeley, but I think I can make do with what I have left :lol.

New Topic Add Reply