It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:42

New Topic Add Reply
Fenwick FF86
Post 10 Jun 2021, 07:55 • #1 
I just saw a later version one of these sell for $257 on ebay two days ago. Everything was there; the correct plastic tube, the tartan sock and it was in nearly unused condition. There were many bidders initially and it hung below $100 for days until the final 15 minutes. Two or three determined bidders in the final minutes decided it was worth twice that much and more. Ebay sellers have already been asking that much for the under 8' fenwicks and some increases of all models. I threw in with a max of $126 because I like them myself but already having a 79 and 85 wasnt willing to go so far. Is this a trend or an anomaly? Maybe just coincidence? A couple of guys fitting out for upcoming fishing trips and splurging? Everyone says there are a lot of these out there and I would think that's correct.

Re: Fenwick FF86
Post 10 Jun 2021, 08:17 • #2 
Master Guide
Hopefully, it's just a trend. These rods used to be found at yard sales for twenty bucks or on the big auction site for fifty to one hundred.

The current prices seem to me to be too much to pay for an old rod with no warranty. There are too many excellent new fiberglass offerings around to take the chance. I'm glad I bought the vintage Feralites I wanted when they were still cheap!

Post 10 Jun 2021, 14:26 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
The Older Fenwicks are bringing more money....but the FF86 is one of the hard to find models. I too was surprised that it sailed below the $100 mark for as long as it did...I had a top bid on it too, but it blew past my $$$ in that last flurry of bidding. I wasn't surprised to see it bring $250+, the last one I saw over a year ago had a short tip section and it still brought $150.

I didn't get crazy on this one because I have 2 FF86s. One that I got on a "buy now" on the auction site 4 years ago that is in mint condition with the bag and tube, and one that I got from a member here. I fish the FF86 regularly and it [b]is[b] a special rod. I find that my FF79 stays home while the FF86 gets time on the water.

Lots of Fenwicks out there, but not a lot of FF86s

Post 10 Jun 2021, 16:33 • #4 
Master Guide
There was also a well used “fixer upper” on EBay that sold for $54 last week. I really thought about bidding on it to compare it to the ff856.

Post 17 Jun 2021, 12:20 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I fished my FF86 this past weekend, on the Rio Grande...it really is a special rod. All the good things that are said about the FF79 apply to this rod and it seems to have a bit more finesse.

I really like the FF86 its like an FF84 with a bit more backbone. The rod handled the wind and the high runoff water and made me look like a better caster than I am...I can always use the help :)

Post 15 Jul 2021, 01:49 • #6 
Sport
I've been fortunate enough to pick up 2 of the FF-86s over the past year. I got a 2-piece and a 5-piece, which is not as common. They both cast nice, a tad faster than the FF-84s. The 5 piece, because of the ferrules, is a tad stiffer - offers a bit more power.

Some of the people at the casting club I frequent recommend the 84s and 86s as practice rods. The soft casting nature of the rods amplifies errors in technique, so it's easier to isolate casting errors and then correct them with these models.

New Topic Add Reply