It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:56

New Topic Add Reply
San Francisco fly rods?
Post 07 Jun 2021, 21:43 • #1 
Master Guide
I was recently mulling over the fact that the Golden Gate Casting Club had a pretty significant impact on rods that a lot of us really like. At one point, San Francisco seems to have been as much of a center for fly rod design as anywhere in the country. Winston and Scott both started there. For glass rods, one could sort-of argue that SF had a big influence on Hardy (Jon Tarantino and the JET rods). Fred Claudio was from SF, right? The San Francisco Fly Fishers Supply shop had rods made with their label, too?

What other significant glass rod designers/builders/companies had their roots in SF (besides Larry Kenney of course)?

Post 07 Jun 2021, 22:27 • #2 
Guide
Yo moto

RL Winston started there on 6th Street. I fondly remember visiting the shop while in town and casting on the roof with Tom Morgan, who I considered the new kid at the time. They did glass before getting into the green plastic tubes. There was quite a fuss when they introduced their Stalker series, and I love my 7'6" 3wt. J Kennedy Fisher had their factory not too far away, and their blanks were the foundation for a lot of makers.

tl
les

Post 08 Jun 2021, 12:15 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Jimmy Green

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14203&p=87035&hilit=green#p87035

Post 14 Mar 2022, 18:10 • #4 
As linked below, Jimmy Green was probably the most prolific and innovative rod designer of all time. He won his first world fly casting championship in France in 1938 as a 17 yr old. After the war he started at Winston, was head designer at fenwick for 20 years, and finished up designing at sage. He invented the shooting head and the ferrule we all use today. He built the worlds first graphite and boron fly rods all the time setting records and winning competitions. He was a true genius, who was a member of the GGACC.

Post 18 Jan 2023, 22:07 • #5 
Sport
Correction: it was the late Ferdinand (Ferd) Claudio. Past President of the GGCC in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.

BTW, When I lived in the East Bay Area in the late 60s/early 70s, Winston was located at 475 3rd Street in San Francisco.

SZ

Post 24 Jan 2023, 21:22 • #6 
Master Guide
Some glass rods designed by Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club members:

Winston - Doug Merrick, Tom Morgan
Scott - Harry Wilson, Larry Kenney
Hardy JET - Jon Tarantino
SA System - Jon Tarantino
Fenwick - Jim Green
Jim Green - Jim Green
Pedley - Jim Green
Claudio - Ferd Claudio
Tom Morgan Rodsmiths - Tom Morgan
LM Kenney - Larry Kenney
Echo - Tim Rajeff

Post 03 Feb 2023, 15:20 • #7 
James Green, current maker, not related to Jimmy Green. Walt Powell, in Belmont, before he moved to Chico, CA.

New Topic Add Reply