It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:09

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 May 2021, 13:42 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I posted this rod a while back after I got it....but the pics went down right away and there was only one comment. This rod looks to me like a kit or re-worked rod because of the writing and lack of label and such. It is a Phillipson reel seat that looks un-used and it is the Hammer Handle grip. I thought maybe a recent work up or build of a Phillipson blank, but the hardware is old school tiny stripper and ...what do you think?

Post 19 May 2021, 13:49 • #2 
Guide
It looks to me like an unused original rod to me. I have one from similar vintage with similar wraps. Looking forward to what others think.

Post 19 May 2021, 15:03 • #3 
Administrator
In my opinion the ferrules and stripping guide are original, but a prior owner rewrapped the rod. The tip off is the glossy finish between the guide wraps. Phillipson only varnished the wraps on glass rods, not the whole rod blank. Many of the factory "P" rods I've seen had gold tipping on black wraps, but I can't definitively say that black with black spirals didn't happen. I also don't recall seeing a "P" rod with a green reelseat.

Usually, but not always, early Phillipson glass labels were ink printed. Some were hand labeled, but not in cursive script.

The grip might have been 'cosmetic sanded' to restore the clean look. The grip is a Phillipson hammer handle (oval shaped), which is one of my favorites. At the time Phillipson was one of the only companies selling a non-round grip. Even then, the hammer handle was only used on the higher grade rods like the "P" series.

All that said, the three piece P86 is not a collector rod. The refresh/restoration did not reduce/increase the monetary value. The P86 is a "take it fishing and enjoy how it casts a 7 weight line" kind of rod. The restoration will keep it on the water longer.

Tom

Post 19 May 2021, 15:27 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Tom

Thanks for the info.

I tried casting this rod with an SA Airocell WF7F and it felt overlined. I have owned 2 S86 rods (Still have one) that seem to be solid 7wgt but this rod just felt sloppy with the 7wgt line...did they make them in the lighter weight rods, or is that just the difference between the 2 piece and the 3 piece. I haven't fished it with a 6 yet, but when lawn casting with a 6wgt it was a little better behaved.

Scott

Post 19 May 2021, 18:31 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, looks nicely refinished. Usually the place to start for such info is the seller, encouraging the seller to inquire of another recent owner--and so on--if need be. What did you ask, and what info was provided?

Post 20 May 2021, 07:39 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I’m not so sure it is possible for the factory to varnish over the open spirals without getting it in the blank.

Post 20 May 2021, 13:54 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I got this rod off E-bay...it was an estate rod and the seller didn't provide any info as to the history of the rod. I took it to Rick at Rick's Rods on Monday but the shop wasn't open when I stopped by. I will try to catch him tomorrow when I am out and about. The upside is that it seems like a great rod and it should have lots of years left on the water. I am not digging for info so I can sell it, I intend to keep it and fish it. With my 2 Phillipson X75 and X86 it was the combination of info from FFR members and the info/catalog from Rick's that gave me the clear picture of those rods, socks and tubes. I am also planning to drive by the old Phillipson facility...Maybe I'll grab a photo or two. I love the history of it here in Denver.

Post 20 May 2021, 14:43 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
You have a great source handy, that's for sure. With Ebay, I wondered if you used the "contact the seller" option to ask questions. Sometimes, even when the seller knows little about the object, a simple clue the seller does know will help (things like the date of a family gift, or where the item was purchased, or what the yard saler said to the dealer who bought the item). Only a very few will know on site--Rick would be one of them often--but even the experts do even better if as many details of provenance as possible are provided.

Your post is in the "collecting" section, hence these suggestions when getting stuff.

In "fishing" fiberglass rods, you're in business with that one.

Post 06 Jul 2021, 16:22 • #9 
Master Guide
Hey guys,
Bloodhound’s “Scripted “ P86f is 100% a Factory Phillipson rod.

It may or may not have been rewrapped or dipped but those wraps look factory or done just like Oem .

A few years ago I was at an estate sale/auction in Baltimore
It was held by a nice lady named Miss Joan.
I mer her thru a guy I know in the VW scene..
Her husband was an avid fisherman from the the 50s til the early 2000s when his health declined. R.I.P. Mr. Al
He had an insanely huge collection of fishing gear all kinds too. Double car garage and a basement full....
Spinning gear , Casting gear , Fly gear , Trolling and Bay gear.
Mr Al had it all I’m not even kidding
He had quite a collection of bamboo and glass rods
(I got a sweet 1958 Shakespeare panfish special )
They were sold in lots some by brand some by style.
There was a Phillipson lot with 12 rods total 7 bamboo and 5 glass rods
4 of the Rods with the cursive script and 3 had spiral wraps just like Bloodhound’s rod .

If memory serves... The script rods were
P86f Fly rod Spiral wraps / black Hw
P90f Fly rod Plain wraps /champagne Hw
P62 or 52 casting rod spiral wraps
P70? Spinning rod spiral wraps /Slip rings
I know both the fly rods had green reel seats ( one with the black pocket and lock ring and the other had that Champagne-ish hardware.
There was also a 7ft “The Scout” spinning rod that had slip rings .
The Philli Lot was bought from some guy Who came down from Ny.
After doing some snooping here’s what I've found so far ...

Ricks rods has a P52 casting rod for sale on his site dating this early script Casting Rod to 51-54 (link to Rick's page)

[Please, Rick's photos are his property, not ours. Do not post photos unless you hold the copyright or have the permission of the owner. Same deal with eBay photos. Tom]

There is also a new old stock P86f that just showed up on Das Bay’ (link to the auction)
It has the script and also has The Non-Spiral wraps and the champagne hardware like the P90f I saw .

[Photos removed. Tom]

Man with all the Brain power on this site we should revise or start a new and more complete Phillipson Wiki

Maybe it will get sorted out by Dr Todd when he drops the Phillipson Book..

Hope this help shed a little light on these older early 50s Phillipson beauties.
Keep flyIng the Phillipson flag..

Post 06 Jul 2021, 20:18 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for this info...I saw the one on the auction sight and saw the script and I thought maybe mine is factory.

Post 07 Jul 2021, 01:42 • #11 
Administrator
The eBay rod ottobahn mentions still has remnants of the original factory plastic grip cover. No rebuilds here! The label is done in handwritten script and the entire rod blank looks to be varnished. The mentioned Rick's Rods casting rod also has a script label and appears to be varnished.

I learned something new. Thanks.

Dr. Todd tells me the Phillipson book isn't forgotten. He's still working on it.

Tom

New Topic Add Reply