It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:47

New Topic Add Reply
Phillipson Royal RF76L
Post 15 Apr 2021, 07:41 • #1 
Piscator
Scored for a fair price on a good snipe (which I didn't think about until I received the win notification).
Original tube, and a linen sock 4" too short, which Tom verified was the original norm.

Per J&J, this rod originated in 1964, though no specifics given on the L version.
They did state that Royals were picked out of the bulk of blanks for extra light and extra crisp.
The rod has a full compliment of foulproof guides, tip-top and stripper are gold, the the foulproof guides bright stainless, nice wraps, and excellent nickel-silver ferrule.

The ferrules and rod butt are tiny, and the rod is lighter than its marked 3-1/8 oz - it balances a loaded Strada MZ 34, which I had matched up with the FF66 I gave to Josh, and also use with a 7' (Phillipson) Fullflex.
Deep flexing for a Phillipson with slow pleasant load. It will get some use, and I expect it to shine with a 100-gr Teeny.
Note the butt is thinner than the 7' Phillipson Orvis Fullflex, and they're rated the same weight.

It has my favorite hammer handle, and balances just right with a few other nice reels, including Hardy Prince 5/6, and Millward Flycraft Junior

I have lines queued up to try, as always, but yesterday was too hot, humid, oak pollen saturated, and creepy with a Munsters plague of oak caterpillars.
Maybe I'll get out later this morning, without all that going against the day, and add a few casting notes.

Post 15 Apr 2021, 09:18 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Great grab! I was watching that one and was surprised it didn't bring more. You have a well trained eye of course!

Last edited by jhuskey on 15 Apr 2021, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post 15 Apr 2021, 10:21 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice!

Post 15 Apr 2021, 10:50 • #4 
Master Guide
Nice pic up. Love those Phillipsons!

Bruce

Post 15 Apr 2021, 11:19 • #5 
Piscator
Thanks guys, back from casting 4 lines.
Interesting about this rod, it feels faster lined than it does unlined.
Of course I began with my benchmark T130, which zips through the guides, the rod handles great in close (which is the same thing as handling a BS-100), and shoots way out.

The matching spool for the Prince 5/6 contains the old H&H Hi-floater DT5, which is Peach with H&H-spec'd olive coating.
The rod absolutely commands the line, from leader alone to as far as you want to hang in the air. Shooting the line draws a resounding snap against the reel click-pawl.

WF4 - I only have one, the Ridgeline I fish on my Thomas Light Special cane and OS Exchequer. The nickel foot was a very nice match with the reel seat (easier and deeper than the Prince foot). The front taper of this line doesn't load the rod, but with any belly, it turns into a dry fly rod. No advantage over the perfect DT5 reported just above. It's also not surprising the tip of the Royal is faster than the amazing thin short tip of the Thomas dry fly rod.

For grins, tried a Teeny short belly WF6 on the Milward FC Junior. I was curious how the fat belly went through the foulproof guides.
This would be a really good combo for close fishing, instant loading, and no interference from the guides.
The long reel seat also has room to spare on the long Milward reel foot.

I think the last time I fished this reel was on a Sceptre I had Dwight Lyons finish for me.

BTW, also tried the rod with Milward Flymaster (3" Beaudex) with equally long Milward foot - the fit was good, but the reel weight was too much for my preference.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 16 Apr 2021, 22:04, edited 2 times in total.

Post 15 Apr 2021, 12:01 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
That was a good deal.
What do you like about the hammer as opposed to other grips?

Post 15 Apr 2021, 12:40 • #7 
Piscator
It's the right diameter, the widest point acts like a thumb ridge, and it tapers away instead of flares toward the back.
Here's a favorite Heddon handle next to a handle I spec'd (top) on an Old Yankee custom rod

Dennis Stone's interpretation for me

and Dwight Lyons'

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 15 Apr 2021, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

Post 15 Apr 2021, 12:50 • #8 
Master Guide
Nice find, nice photos, and relatable casting notes.
Thank you for sharing, even though you are causing me some pangs of Royal regret.

Post 15 Apr 2021, 12:54 • #9 
Piscator
I like my RW66 a bunch, also.

Post 15 Apr 2021, 21:05 • #10 
Master Guide
Nice one!
Good on you!

Looking forward to the action photos one day....

Post 16 Apr 2021, 06:14 • #11 
Master Guide
That's awesome! Fantastic pics of a gorgeous rod.

Post 16 Apr 2021, 15:59 • #12 
I like the colors and build of that rod. The Milward FC Junior looks great on it!

Post 16 Apr 2021, 16:40 • #13 
Master Guide
I have been using these sorts of older design grips preferentialy now when I build rods. They are not sleek and "sexy" like the ones popularized in the past few decades along with modern graphite etc. but seem to work better for me. Either I am getting too old-fashioned or the old builders knew what they were doing!

Post 16 Apr 2021, 18:27 • #14 
Piscator
I can't stand a grip that's so big it forces you to grip it hard, but a long time ago, discovered that for directing power, I like a thumb ridge up front.
The tapered handle gives you more finesse as you slide back, and more grip as you slide forward.

Post 16 Apr 2021, 19:31 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I don't like an over thick grip either. I usually like a relatively straight grip, or a Wells, can't like the Western grip at all.
The elliptical grip is possibly why the RF76 didn't go higher.

Post 16 Apr 2021, 21:13 • #16 
Piscator
and all this time I thought it was because I sniped it well.

Post 16 Apr 2021, 21:57 • #17 
Master Guide
Wonderful rod and score BD. Didn’t know the Royals were hand selected from the taper bin...makes sense...I’d take that rod with any grip.

Sandman

Post 16 Apr 2021, 22:13 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
and all this time I thought it was because I sniped it well.

Maybe.
Perhaps I don't understand the snipe thing, but, I thought that only let you be the last second bidder with no control over how high previous bidders set their max bid?

Post 17 Apr 2021, 08:38 • #19 
Piscator
I didn't think about this rod for a week - until I paid for it - and I bought it for $30 less than my max bid.
The difference, my hand wasn't played until the last second, so no one, including me, had time to react, second guess, test my bid, etc.
That privilege cost me $1.49, I didn't have to be there to play it, and a helluvalot simpler than the old days calibrating a sweep second hand to get that last 3-second bid.

But a really great rod, and glad I bought it. It's different enough from System 5 that I don't mind having 2 rods of similar length and (physical) weight, + line weight.
Interesting how the 76L responds so well with a DT5, It seems like it would fit better in tight places than its length implies, but has the same reserve cast distance as the Fisher.

Trev, compared to your DFS, you would probably like this rod a lot. The DFS is about close control, and getting to its max casting range in a hurry. Lined properly, this rod still has close control, a little slower in delivery, but a lot more distance in reserve.

Post 17 Apr 2021, 10:28 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Phew! That's one to go in the dictionary next to "fiberglass fly rod." So is the System 5. I have the System 5, but one of life's mysteries I will take to my grave is why I never got a Phillipson in their time. It could be--but very hard to own up to if true--that I was distracted for a few years in the late 1970s by graphite fly rods. A 9' Scott for 6 started it. A great rod--although I never got one of those, either--but as graphite lured anglers from even the best 'glass rods, think of all the "old" Phillipson 'glass I passed up in Bangor, "the yard-sale capitol of New England."

Post 17 Apr 2021, 11:12 • #21 
Master Guide
Good post on casting lines and like the reel choice matches. Had the guides upgraded on my father's Royal as one wrap needed attention. This was his favorite glass fly rod. Casts quite well with the new guides as rated as well as one line weight lower than rated.

Post 17 Apr 2021, 11:21 • #22 
Piscator
very nice job on the guides and wrap - I didn't have a DT4 to try, but I'm guessing it would still be very nice.
Still floored by both the close range and the amount of line hanging in the air with the DT5.

Post 17 Apr 2021, 11:46 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
I thought you didn't like the 7'6" Phillipsons. :)

Very nice snipe for a very desirable rod.

Post 17 Apr 2021, 12:21 • #24 
Piscator
have you thought about speaking for yourself?
I explained that again offline earlier today.
Compared to the perfect 7' Phillipsons, the 7'6" just seem too heavy for what you gain in length, and notably less powerful than my E80 (true 6-wt).
The 76L shines for what you gain without adding weight (and it's actually lighter than it's marked) - see this photo again

The E80 is a rocketship

especially for white bass on a T130

Post 17 Apr 2021, 17:24 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Sweet grab...That is a beauty for sure!

New Topic Add Reply