It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:43

New Topic Add Reply
identifying old fly rod
Post 19 Mar 2021, 19:27 • #1 
Hi everyone. I’m looking for some information on an old fly rod I inherited from my grandfather. I have searched hours to no avail trying to id it. here is what i know. I believe it is pre-1967, two pieces, fiberglass, measures 68 inches, has no markings or labels that I can see, and i believe it is a 4 wt just based on trying the penny/cents method which seems pretty hit or miss. I don’t think it is too special as far as monetary value but I am more curious to know the year and make of it. I would love to use it just want a little more info first. Thanks in advance and amazing forum you guys have here.

Last edited by Oldplyrod on 19 Mar 2021, 19:28, edited 2 times in total.

Post 19 Mar 2021, 19:27 • #2 
Master Guide
Pictures?
At 68", it is almost certainly a spinning rod and there is little chance of it being lighter than a six weight if it were a fly rod. Regards,
Shrimpy

Post 19 Mar 2021, 19:30 • #3 
thanks shrimpman, sorry was trying to figure posting pictures out. you are probably right but for some reason i had it stuck in my head it was a short trout fly rod

Post 19 Mar 2021, 22:58 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
It is definitely a spinning rod.

Post 19 Mar 2021, 23:54 • #5 
Administrator
Yup, that's a spinning rod.

The ferrule looks vaguely like a bronze alloy Super-Z and the guides might be agatine (as in glass). If so, the rod most likely came out of the Conolon factories. But without any rod markings it would be impossible to say for sure. I'm guessing the rod was marketed in the early 60s, but that is simply a guess based on the cosmetics.

Tom

Post 20 Mar 2021, 00:19 • #6 
The so everyone for the continued tips. I’m going to keep digging off what I learned here

New Topic Add Reply