It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:48

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Mar 2021, 00:18 • #1 
Guide
Hi everyone,
I obtained an older custom made fiberglass rod and unsure about the blank. As seen in the pics, the writing states 9’ “Neo-Cane”, model N-5, serial number N5-114, #8
Similar look and dimensions of the Fenwick 335, but that is a #9. It’s heavier than the 335.
Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Post 08 Mar 2021, 09:54 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Reel seat looks just like a Sila-Flex I had but has been turned around to be up-locking.

Post 08 Mar 2021, 15:14 • #3 
Administrator
Does the reelseat have a feather logo on the plug?

The ferrule and reelseat are early 60s vintage. In addition, the rod is marked for an 8 weight line, so the rod isn't from the 50s. The blank color suggests either Lamiglas or Grizzly. Without some other evidence those sources are just a guess.

Tom

Post 08 Mar 2021, 18:07 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
“Neo-Cane” is associated with Hardy, isn't it?

Post 09 Mar 2021, 08:30 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
That is a nice, well kept, but well used rod. I would even go to late 60's to date it. As a custom build as well as a 9' 8wt rod, the value is fairly low. I don't know if you're ever going to find a definitive answer on the blank, but jgestar's guess of grizzly or lami seems good.

Post 09 Mar 2021, 11:44 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I've seen yellow Shakespeare and that color is close to my yellow St. Croix. I thought the "Neo-Cane" had a familiar sound to it so I gave it a search, it's a mark used by Hardy on some bamboo rods, did they also use it on 'glass rods?
My guess is that you have a nice old user rod of unknown heritage, but you might trace the tackle company in Calgary and possibly find someone who has old records of it or that remembers working there.

Post 09 Mar 2021, 17:24 • #7 
Guide
To me, the blank and Featherlight Ferrules and Seat came from Herters in the 1960's.

Post 09 Mar 2021, 17:59 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Herter's. Hmmmn ! The ferrules and reel seat (Cal-Air or Featherlite, maybe) could have come from any number of suppliers, and could be used on any blank by a hobby or small-shop builder. Factory rods from a variety of manufacturers also sourced hardware from these and other OEM suppliers. So hardware, unless custom stamped with a logo, is seldom definitive.

The blanks I remember from the late 1960s Herter's ( I have one built about 1969) were "browntone"--much darker, and, well, brown. But Herter's sold a lot of stuff, so maybe earlier than '66 or so, they had blanks and kits in that flat yellowish color . Boy is that some fun to look up for somebody with a stack of old Herter's catalogs. I'd have rather lost my box of Poetry of the Restoration books than the one with '60s Herter's catalogs, but a late 1970s move didn't go down that way.

I built on rather flat yellow (as I recall) Lamiglas blanks, and Fenwick, a slightly brighter yellow, of the '70s, so those were the first to come to mind. A builder could easily remove the Fenwick labling. Don't recall how or if the Lamis were labled. Either could be and often were fitted with sizematic ferrules as shown.

Fun to know if possible, but probably a nice rod to fish regardless. I'd guess somebody built that as steelhead and salmon runs came back in the Pacific northwest, so somebody from that region may be the key to remembering the shop or builder, and thereby the blank.

Herter's, maybe. They had everything, all the world's finest. Its happens I have a Herter's shirt on right now.

Post 09 Mar 2021, 19:48 • #9 
Guide
Thanks for all the information and ideas everyone. The rod had a very heavy swing weight, so I don’t suspect that it would be fun to fish over the long-term.

New Topic Add Reply