It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:21

New Topic Add Reply
Phillipson tc 76
Post 04 Mar 2021, 17:38 • #1 
Guide

So I found this at a flea market about 17 years ago. I used it half a season 8 years ago when I broke my other rod . It is a sweet back up . I have not been able to find anything on year it was made any info would be great thanks

Re: Phillipson tc 76
Post 05 Mar 2021, 00:39 • #2 
Administrator
In the early 50s there were only a couple of Phillipson glass rod models (P and S). By the late 50s Phillipson rods were marked with diameter based line designations, such as HDH. After Phillipson was sold to Johnson (1961), rods were also marked with the new AFTMA line weights. This continued after Bill Phillipson bought his company back. Your rod does not have line markings, so it is most likely from the mid 50s.

The Phillipson Eponite rods were first marketed in the mid 50s, but they were always a clear coat finish. The Chieftain was the standard tobacco glass of the time. The reelseat and ferrules were standard Phillipson, which were always well made.

When in doubt, try a six weight line.

Tom

Post 05 Mar 2021, 05:35 • #3 
Guide
Thanks for the info Tom .

Post 06 Mar 2021, 20:20 • #4 
Sport
i have the same rod.works great with a 6wt.

Post 11 Mar 2021, 02:14 • #5 
Master Guide
vtsalmon26
Very cool rod .
I really dig the Cursive font they used on those early painted rods.
I have an unpainted scout spinning rod with that font. It’s so classy

I also have a Phillipson “power kast “ 7.6 Ft
I wonder If they share the same blank Just yours was panted mine not .
Tom may know
As for a line recommendation.
try some Scientific Anglers Aircel WF6 Also WF6 Cortland Classic 333 Yellow or 444 peach are all great baseline lines to start with.
What reel are going to put on your Chief?

Post 11 Mar 2021, 12:00 • #6 
Guide
I have been keeping an eye out for a reel . Right now I have an Orvis mid arborIII I use on it . With some hook and hackle dt 6wt I need to redue one wrap it would be awesome if I could find some original thread for it. So If anyone has any thread or can point me in the direction of some that would be great

Post 11 Mar 2021, 14:36 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
If you take that query to the rodbuilding section, with a topic like "Refinishing a Phillipson TC 76," you may get more suggestions. I'll just mention that Rick's Rods in Denver is a prime source for all things Phillipson. Other than that, refinishing piecemeal will never yield a perfect match even if you have the OEM thread. That means you could shop rodwinding thread, find a very close match, and be happy. Or, best use of your time might be to carefully inspect all the guides and wraps. You may find worn guides or "almost loose" wraps. Matching that color scheme will be easy--and the result uniform in appearance--with thread color choices available from many sellers. In short, consider a complete rewrap and refinish of the blank. If you have more questions, start a new thread in the rod building section.

Let's keep this discussion on the collecting/fishing/matching reel suggestions. A Pflueger 1494 1/2 or 1495 would be the no-brainer to me.

Post 11 Mar 2021, 17:16 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I like a Medalist 1495 on my Phillipson 6 weights But have been known to fish them with a Scientific Angler System II as well.

Congrats on a great find...be careful your back up rod might just become your primary and send you looking for more Phillipsons...

New Topic Add Reply