It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:07

New Topic Add Reply
Few Fenwick questions
Post 03 Mar 2021, 11:51 • #1 
Sport
I have a few fenwick feralite rods I had recently received from an older gentleman. Looking to see if there is any information on them and approximate value.
First rod is a FF70 7 foot 5-6line. Looks to be in great condition.
Second rod is a Ff756. This rod appeared to be snapped and refixed missing about 2-3 inches of tip.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. And thank you.

Post 03 Mar 2021, 12:00 • #2 
Guide
Read here.
https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Fenwick

steve

Post 03 Mar 2021, 12:46 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
The FF70 is one of more well-regarded production rods, and a favorite of many here for use on small streams, particularly with dries (myself included). A quick search should reveal that. Try it, and you may not care about market value. That said, condition, pics, etc., matter in a sale but ballpark $100-150 (I’ve seen good ones for less recently). But I wouldn’t be shocked if a virtually mint rod in a well presented auction pushed past that (I’ve not searched auction sales).

A 3” down FF756 is not something I’d buy over the internet, but maybe an in-person evaluation would make me decide it’s a 6wt (or 7wt) I could use. Still, half (or less) an FF70.

Post 03 Mar 2021, 16:09 • #4 
Administrator
Approximate values are just that - approximate. Without a particular rod in hand, or at the very least a large set of good photos, the condition really can't be determined. That can only be judged from a good visual inspection. The best option is to do your homework by watching eBay auctions and other online sales. After a time you will have a 'close enough' ability to judge value. A few things that go into the estimate; condition, completeness of the kit, rarity, time of year, condition, design and utility as a fishing rod, collector interest, potential for unseen damage, luck, access to motivated buyers, and, of course, condition.

That said, we have two unseen Fenwicks. Assuming the FF70 is in 'great' condition it could sell for $100-175 or more. This is a well loved early Fenwick. They are nice casting rods that few people sell because they don't like them. While the FF70 isn't rare, it isn't seen as often as the heavier rods. If the original rod bag and tube are present, add $25-40 (no bag or tube, subtract $25-50). Selling in late spring as the water levels drop and stream side foliage gets thicker (meaning shorter rods fish better on some streams) add $25-50 (selling in September-November, subtract 30%). Selling at a fishing show with dozens of well stocked competitors? subtract 25-40%. Selling on eBay in February-March with a very good set of photos and a bombproof shipping method, add 15-40%. Selling on Etsy or CraigsList? good luck.

The FF756 with a short tip is a different story. A short tip destroys value, competent repair or not. Value maybe $20-30. A broken tip is a very visible sign the rod was abused at least once, so there is a potential for other issues too. The FF756 may have been the most sold Fenwick fly rod ever, but they weren't the most loved on the market. Thus they are readily available in very good shape. Rarity and collector interest won't increase the value. Without the snapped tip? $75-120 is a likely price range.

Tom

Post 03 Mar 2021, 19:22 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Both are very good fishing rods, even by today's standards. Modern, graphite rods tend to be longer (8'6" or 9') but 7' to 8' glass rods are perfect for a lot of common fly fishing situations. Tom's valuation tutorial is spot on. But the ff756 is a workhorse rod and even with a bit of the tip missing or a decent repair job, it's fishable.

I would take them out and cast and fish them and see how you like them. Neither is something rare and extremely valuable that should keep you from fishing them.

Post 03 Mar 2021, 21:49 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
756 with short tip is basicly worthless.

New Topic Add Reply