It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:17

New Topic Add Reply
What is this rod? Help!
Post 28 Feb 2021, 19:22 • #1 
Hey guys. So I purchased my first glass rod last week, unseen. It is from a seller who purchased it at an estate sale. So the rod has now been delivered! It's in pretty good shape. I have attached a few photos. I was originally told that it is of Japanese origin. Not so sure now. I thought it had a lot of similarities with the Phillipson glass rods, but Ive been told different. Garcia, Diawa a d South Bend havw been thrown around. Blank is not transparent as first though, but solid orange. The whippings are red and have gold either under or between. Any ideas to help me track down what this is? It came with a Japanese Medalist copy.

Post 28 Feb 2021, 19:26 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
The photos haven't come through. So photos of the ferrule, any label, grip and reelseat would be most helpful. Is it a metal ferrule, tip over butt, or butt over tip?

Post 28 Feb 2021, 20:46 • #3 
Sorry about that! They were all over 5MB. But here they are.

[Photos added. Tom]

Post 01 Mar 2021, 02:07 • #4 
Administrator
Biggie, Welcome to the Forum.

Your photos uploaded just fine, but you didn't tell the forum software to put them into your post. Please look at the Photo Posting instructions.

Your rod is definitely not a Phillipson and probably not a Garcia, Daiwa, or South Bend either. Large manufacturers conspicuously marked their rods. You probably have a rod bought from a shop that either made them in house or bought them from an OEM builder. It is also possible the rod came from Japan. There is nothing conclusive to tie your rod to a particular builder. I wouldn't worry about that.

Have you had a chance to cast it? Sometimes these unheralded rods are actually very good performers.

Tom

Post 01 Mar 2021, 03:28 • #5 
Master Guide
Perhaps it was just somebody emulating the style of the times, but my gut is saying "South Bend".

Post 01 Mar 2021, 08:33 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I'll put in some pics of a known-for-sure Montague Hollo-glass I bought new in about 1960. I don't recall the original grip cap, if any, or label since I rebuilt it once before it was stolen about 15 years ago. It might have been an easily removed foil label. By luck of FFR, I was given another--identical and as-new--but I don't recall the label or original grip form of that one either, having rebuilt it with better fittings and grip to my liking soon afterwards. The mylar, red thread, and the orangey color of the blank are for sure like the Montague. Still, as mentioned above, it could be a trade rod from a different maker in the style of the time (as seen, for instance, in one of the Phillipsons in this section's header pics). At this time, little variations of fittings can indicate a different maker but may just reflect supplier variations used by the same maker. Similarly, the same fittings may be seen on blanks manufactured by different makers. The Monty reel seat was unfinished aluminum, the rear hood press-fit and peened to the tube. I can't see if yours is identical, but that would only be an indicator, not definitive.

From searching and gathering the pics, I'm remembering a smaller white plastic winding check (that could be a production/supplier change or indicate a different maker) and I ran across a pic of the original label on the refinished rod. You could get more clues by searching Montague and the other possible makers' names here, and examining the pics.

Post 01 Mar 2021, 09:03 • #7 
Piscator
Montague and True Temper were the same company in 1955.
South Bend and H-I were both snapped up by Gladding in the early '60s.
I have this example of an early South Bend reel seat - beneath the copper paint, the blank resin is water-clear.
There's no sliding pocket, but the reel foot is secured in front by a shoulder in the threaded nut, similar to Harnell, which was also snapped up by Gladding/H-I/SB in 1963.
Asked to date the OP's rod, I'd say late '60s, and my first thought was Heddon.

Post 01 Mar 2021, 09:47 • #8 
Oh right on guys. Absolute wealth of knowledge here. So we can probably say it is from the 1960s quth some certainly.

I have not had a chance to make a cast yet but I think I will today. It was sold as a 6/7/8 to me. I have a plethora of lines to try today. Should give me a good indication of its preffered grain weight.

Sorry Tom. I read other post but hadn't read the one about uploading photos. I shall do this momentarily. Thank you for taking the time to do that for me

Post 01 Mar 2021, 10:20 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Hope you enjoy it. What’s the rod’s length?

Post 01 Mar 2021, 12:48 • #10 
So I've lined the reel and taken her for a spin down the yard with a 2013 8wt Airflo 40+. Longest cast was 105ft and averaging around 95ft. Very smooth with incredibly tight loops. It also seemed exceptionally fast. I have a few bamboo rods and they are nothing like this in recovery. A great feeling rod. I shall try it out tomorrow on some of the naturalized rainbows we have here and see how it compares to bamboo.

Post 01 Mar 2021, 21:22 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
If your casting over 100ft with it, you must have a forearm like Popeye. I do all my long distance casting with Graphite. Not because the glass rods can't handle it, but because they are such a workout. I can't add to what rod it is, but I like the mylar and wraps.

I would agree it dates from the mid 60's to the early 70's. And it really is in wonderful shape. That's one that would be fun to get a large fish on.

Post 02 Mar 2021, 08:51 • #12 
Carlz lol. No, not quite. I also cast with carbon but I always like to see how a rod performs with distance. Carbon, boo and now glass. I know how to cast, how to carry line and how to drift my arm. The very first thing I learned to do when I got into casting was to haul and shoot a whole line. And I get alot of practice living in the PNW. I also get to regularly fish single hand rods from 2wt through to 10wt, depending on what's running. So yeah, 105ft on the tape today with the Airflo 40+ and an 8'6" glass rod of unknown origin.

I also have to agree that the mylar is really nice. The actual wraps are perfectly spaced. Hardly a blemish or deviation from theirr parallel wrapping.

Thanks for comments and observations!

Post 04 Mar 2021, 21:32 • #13 
Guide
Whrlpool - neat photos - memories - fun times!

New Topic Add Reply